Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What has become of Gibson???

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Marn99, Feb 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    For those that seem to be bumming that they can't afford a Historic Gibson, I had an R7 Historic Goldtop, one of the rares ones from the run that had the Brazilian rosewood fret boards that folks go gaga over now.

The guitar itself was 1000% absolutely flawless in all respects, but the more I played it the less I liked it's sound as time passed. The 57 Classic pickups which usually sound reasonably good just did not work well with the guitar, and I ended up feeling the same way about my brother's too.

I finally decided it was time to let it go as the market was way up on them used, I sold it for quite a bit more than I paid for it new. I originally got a killer price from Dave's in Wisconsin as I had bought 2 of them at the same time so Dave cut me a sweet deal.

One was for me and one for my brother (who gave me the cash for his). I played several and picked these 2 as the best of the best.

A few months later my brother had me sell his too as he ended up feeling the same way as time wore on, the longer he played it the less he liked it's sound, especially the bridge position.

Now we could've just done pickup swaps and most likely would've ended up loving the sound, but we considered the fact that the guitars were going for significantly more used than we paid new we both decided it was smart to bail and start over.

We both made the right decision and made money on them.

Fast forward, I bought a 2013 Les Paul Deluxe II Studio and it is just as flawless as the R7 was and it sounds amazing, it's a keeper for vastly less money than the R7.

And my brother, well for less money than the R7 he got one of those Traditional Les Paul plain tops non weight relieved and he loves it. It is flawless too and sounds vastly better than the R7's we both had.

So sometimes less IS more.

Flyboy and Gibson like this.

2. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2007
    Lonk I-lant, New York
    The point of my post was that in the sub $1000 price range, the fit and finish of the Satin/tribute Gibsons is not the same high level one might expect from a Gibson branded guitar.

I cannot and never will be able speak to the quality of high end Gibsons.

In the price range where Gibson and Epi overlap, I prefer the Epi's.

3. ecosse

ecosse Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I didn't read this thread, but my 2016 SG Standard is fantastic.

dlew919 likes this.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Interesting, and fortunate timing for you guys!

I was so impressed by my Historic 330 that I decided to sell my LP Standard and upgrade to a R8 or R9. The Standard was quite good for what it was, just lacking in some of that hands-on attention evident in the Historic.

I found it difficult to choose the new Les Paul. I feel like especially these higher end LPs vary quite widely in tonality. Who says wood doesn't matter... Further, I don't play the typical Marshall-crunch trope, so most sound clips were useless. And due to health constraints, I need to shop online.

Finally, after a year or so, I was getting close to purchasing an R8 listed by Charlie Hughes(?) at Capital Guitars Online. (great high end seller, btw). But he also had this Collings City Limits Deluxe. 2008, but not a mark on it. Very similar to a good R9 in looks and neck, but priced a bit under most R8s. In the end, the tone sold me. The stock Lollars had exactly what I was looking for. Articulate, good string separation and balance, and the tone went from crystal clear single note lines, to Tele-on-steroids. The other thing that sold me was the build quality. I have no problem with high end Gibsons, but Collings are in another realm.

I had bought the standard LP new, but at a steep enough discount so that when I sold it four years later I was only out $160. The only problem is that now I've got my eye on more Collings.

5. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    Never had a chance to play a Collings but they look nice in guitar magazine ads! PRS seem to manage good quality control so no reason for others not to manage it as well. People should be confident in a brand whatever the price point of the product.

6. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    My 2013 SG 70's Tribute and my 2013 LP Deluxe II Studio both were under $1,000 and both have zero issues and are keepers.

ftbtx likes this.

7. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    I find the older Gibsons for the most part were like works of art. The new ones are not or miss. Since they are now mass produced on CNC machines, you best check everything. The woods were great until 2009 I think when they lost much of the aged woods due to fire.

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    Well I don't think the wood supply has been much to speak about for quite a few decades now, so....

Too often what is currently available is looked down on and what is older is held in higher esteem. Fact is there are/were plenty of tone turds QC issues among the original 1950's early 1960's Les Pauls/SGs. The only difference was there were a lot less made, so there were a lot less bum ones. With the vastly higher production rates for modern ones there are going to be more units that may have issues, even if the percentage is the same the total number will be more.

Bottom line is as with anything a consumer is going to buy make sure what you are paying for is what you are expecting to get BEFORE you pay.

9. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I bought a LP Special from a MF "stupid deal of the day" and it's pretty good. It was a regular price $1,100 but $599 as the stupid deal. Compared to other guitars in the price range it is a great deal. Nitro finish, '57 Burst-buckers, coil split, Grovers, etc. While it seems more upscale than a Mexican Fender, I'm not sure that it stacks up with MIA Fenders, or other $1k plus guitars. Made in America, new for $599??? I have to hand it to Gibson. However I'm not about to pony up 3 grand for an es 335. Just too much for the value that is there.

TMMC and studio1087 like this.

10. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    I was looking at some new LP Specials last year and it looked like Gibson has changed the body shape slightly. The horns looked a little rounder and the neck body join is curved like an SG or 335 not perpendicular like classic Specials. Anyone else notice this?

11. GuitarFoxx

GuitarFoxx TDPRI Member

Feb 8, 2017
    Portland OR
    The quality control is real; I work at large guitar store and way more often then not we get ones with bad frets and nuts. It's rare to see anything with a bad finish but very common to encounter sky high action on their acoustics right out of the box and uninspiring tone.

The thing is, when we do get one that is good it really is that much more amazing. A good Hummingbird will give you chills, a bad paul will feel have frets that feel like their made out of razor wire.

Very few of them are true nitro but all of them smell good.

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Just received a Custom Shop Les Paul. The headstock was backwards, the bridge was attached to the body with machine screws, and they sprayed a sunburst on the back yet the front was a goldtop finish. It was also missing a humbucker and the nut was only slotted for 5 strings while the sixth string was drilled into the neck with a drywall anchor. I'd post photos here but you all can just trust me.

13. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Oh man. That sounds rough.:lol:

Better get out your drywall mud and get to fixing all those issues :D no pictures necessary!

14. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    ESP will get my Les Paul-shaped monies.

The volute behind the headstock is a big thing for me.

Quality issues are one thing, but flawed design is quite another.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I kinda dig the ESP version. Probably the coolest-looking Les Paul knockoffs that exist.

16. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville

Yeah, but when ESP makes them like normal they call it "Edwards"...solid guitars for the dough.

My Gibson Les Paul has a volute.

17. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    Guess I am lucky, I have Two Gibson Les Paul, ones a 1979 Custom
    Other a 2011 Studio Deluxe (9.8)lbs awesome sustain. I maintain them now and they sound good ..IMHO

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Whiner.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

19. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Did Guitar Center offer to refund your money?

20. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Without wishing to bash Gibson or the Les Paul, how much of the issues are design issues?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.