Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What has become of Gibson???

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Marn99, Feb 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    So this thread might be a ranty, and I am sorry, but I was browsing the Gibson website recently and I decided to vent a little, again, apologies if it is that. Anyway, I decided recently that I am never buying a newer Gibson guitar or any of their accessories ever again. Now I don't currently own any Gibson's, and don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the Les Paul, I even have a Cocobolo Carved top 59 LP build in the works. But this has nothing to do with the guitar's they build, it is two things, it is Gibson's consistent decline in quality and how the company itself is run. I think we can all agree, Gibson has been declining in quality, I mean, have you seen a Gibson neck joint these days? What has this company become? Their CEO seems to have little respect for employees or the legacy and history of the company he now runs. What is your take on Gibson's these days?
    I mean seriously, what is this?!?!
    1_zpsezz09154.jpg
    spl_shims.jpg
    (images courtesy of the LP forum and HarmonyCentral)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

2. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

May 14, 2016
    San Diego, CA
    These days you pretty much have to apply the same level of scrutiny to the purchase of a US-made Gibson as you would to the purchase of a Chinese Epiphone. But then again, these are expensive guitars, so maybe we should always have been that cautious.

I have a mid-90s LPJS which is a very simple guitar, but it was also obviously put together by a solid team of real professionals. I have a 2010-ish LP Studio Deluxe 50s which is, similarly, a simple guitar but well built. But when I bought that one, I couldn't say the same about the other Gibsons on the wall. Some $3000 guitars that looked fine but sounded like total garbage, totally dead and flat sounding. Couldn't even tell what was wrong with them really. Like it was just the steady accretion of corners cut until the whole thing was compromised.

I think Gibson has been genuinely struggling to figure out how to continue to thrive in this era of unbelievably cheap guitars. And just like in the 70s, QC is suffering.

Southpole, FirTrader and Marn99 like this.

3. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    The drop in quality is in your head. The guitars have a warranty and until you show warranty claims are higher than ever you have zero proof. Word is there are about 500 guitars a day built in Nashville. Not sure what the daily production is in Memphis or Bozeman though. I'd wager they put 1,000 a day out there which go all over the world.

Compare that to 80 guitars a day TOTAL in the 50's when you can find massively cupped bodies, warped necks, wonky dots, wonky inlays, overly shallow necks sets etc...

Over the years, thanks in part to design changes then later engineering all they've done is reduce warranty claims percentages according to ex-employees. But, it's a new era and people ***** & moan LITERALLY if the pickguard is out of place when UPS drops the guitar off.

I'm not denying stupid things don't happen though...it is still a big operation.

But, I'm not seeing any Gibsons like the one you just posted in GC Nashville, Carter's, Corner Music, or CME (was up there last weekend) or any local shops. But, I did drop an MIJ 335 copy once and it screwed up the neck pocket/angle just like so.

Heck, someone on the Les Paul forum posted a cupped traditional and emailed them about warranty, you can't fix that so Gibson just offered to replace the guitar. I wonder why this guitar isn't being reset at Gibson????

fenderchamp, tery, jdto and 11 others like this.

4. MachineGunBlues

MachineGunBlues TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Glenburn
    I really love this forum, but there is always alot of Gibson bashing. If you don't like them, don't buy them. Very simple. I love my G5420, My tele and My Les Paul Studio and they all have short comings.

5. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    Here you go. Explains quite a bit.
    [​IMG]

6. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    My problem is that as a big operation shouldn't they be using templates or CNC's? I would expect more than not one but two shims from a Nashville LP.

drlucky and viccortes285 like this.

7. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    I'm more so questioning the quality of Gibson's for the price they're sold at. I was also curious about how the community feels on the subject of Gibson as a company. I hope my post didn't come off as bashing Gibson :oops:, I was going for more so of a critique and big picture view.

drlucky likes this.

8. deytookerjaabs

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    First off, the strings look misaligned over the pole piece in the first issue which could be a bridge/saddle thing. Once again, that guitar gets dropped and the ABR studs can be bent or the neck pocket messed up.

Second...That Les Paul neck reset appears someone took a bunch of top finish off with then neck itself??

Once again..why aren't these warranty issues being handled at Gibson?

JayFreddy, studio1087 and Marn99 like this.

9. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Oct 31, 2010
    North Bay, Ca
    Paul Thorn's song pretty much sums it all up, "Mediocrity is King"

Boodreaux and Marn99 like this.

10. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Is this your guitar? Did you remove the neck? How did you get to see this pocket?

Is this what I think it is? Some random unknown on some other forum, with a couple of guitar parts, a camera, and an axe to grind? Do we know it's a Gibson? Do we know anything about the poster? Even if completely legit (because the internet never lies), why would we extrapolate this one instance to the decline of a company?

I agree with deytook. It's all in your head. I own a few Gibsons, recent archtops out of Memphis, and they are simply stunning. Great tone, playability, looks. If there is a wicked shim buried in there somewhere, I can't hear it.

11. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    I sometimes ponder where we would be, here in the 21st century without asian guitar manufacturing, what would Fender, Gibson, Guild, Martin be turning out and what would it cost?

It has to be a tough business, I think everyone knows (or should) that the used market is saturated.

12. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    I went to the original thread. The guitar in question was a 2015 Gibson ES335 1963 Wildwood. It came like this with no cleanup of glue squeeze out, improperly shaped nut, far too deep nut slot on the low E string, far too high neck angle, and the saddle off centerline.

simond likes this.

13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    I have a 2012 SG Std and a 2016 LP Trad. Absolutely no complaints.

Marn99 and brbadg like this.

14. deytookerjaabs

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    There is zero reason to complain in my opinion.

I walked out of CME last year with a brand new firebird... lacquer finished 9 piece mahogany neck through guitar with binding over jescar fretwire with dark oily rosewood board & steel/brass hardware with a solid plek job for $900.

I'd have been selling two cars to buy that same quality in 1975. You can get a carved maple top Les Paul with quartersawn one piece true mahogany neck blank, US hardware, once again solid plek job, & satin lacquer finish for 2/3rds the cost of a base model US Strat/Tele. Same goes for SG's.

What do I think about Gibson? I think for domestic manufacturers they're way ahead of the game.

15. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    You picked 1 guitar out of a bunch and said Gibson's quality was shoddy. That's painting with an
    awfully broad brush. Why don't go to a guitar store and try one out?

16. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    How much of these comments are you basing on personal, guitar in hand observation?

17. deytookerjaabs

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville

What's the second photo? Looks like a lester with all solid mahogany, pretty rare. I think the only one you can get like that is a custom shop guitar?

Wildwood shows very high quality photos of every Memphis Gibson they sell along with the serial number so the warranty should be no big deal...and the guy should have pics from them showing the misalignment. Heck, I'm not sure how wildwood would post that guitar, they have a reputation too.

studio1087 and Marn99 like this.

18. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    It's an LP special, from what I gathered from the thread Wildwood didn't seem to be at fault more so the fact that this particular guitar made it through several checks at the Gibson factory. If this can happen to one guitar who's to say it is unusually faulty?

19. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    And lightning can strike twice in the exact same spot, too...

I'm not going to take those odds, though...

I have no horse in this race, I just want to see some proof to your argument that is based on some statistical fact, and not just an internet thread...

Sorry... Not sorry...

Marn99 likes this.

20. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I had a 1982 Les Paul Custom that was horrible. I had a 1992 Les Paul Standard that was incredible.

studio1087 and Marn99 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.