What happened to Guitar Center?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gary in Boston, Jan 6, 2019.

1. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

Same sparse crappy inventory at the Guitar Centers near me in southwest Florida. I recently went looking for a new acoustic and was sorely disappointed in their inventory. Don’t know what happened but I suspect it’s much cheaper for them to carry lower end guitars than having more expensive ones that sell slower.

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI forum mobile app

2. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Hit or miss around here. The nearest ones to me are in the Denver area, around 25-30 miles away from where I live. They definitely used to stock more things like hardshell guitar cases, gig bags, etc, than they do now, but the guitar selection is about the same at all three of the ones I've been to in the past year or so. There are definitely fewer amps than in years past, though.

3. twotone60

twotone60 Tele-Meister

I haven't read every post, but the short, definitive answer to what has happened to GC is Bain Capital. Google it. Asset strippers of the worst kind and the type of firm that is destroying the economic fiber of our country.

wblynch and baiff like this.
  4. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I sell $100 guitars for
    $100. And I try my best to have as many really cool guitars as I can find. In the past 25 years, this has included a 1939 J200, a 1941 J200, a 1951 J185, a 1963 Gibson Explorer, more 40's and 50's Gibson acoustics than I can count, several dozen 50's and 60's Fenders, etc., etc.. However, just like GC, I pay my bills year in and year out by selling those $100 guitars, because that's what a lot of customers can afford.

hellopike and t guitar floyd like this.
  5. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I notice lots of Squiers too. Brea California

6. dave1z

dave1z TDPRI Member

7. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel TDPRI Member

I stopped by my usual GC, seemed about normal. They had some nice stuff on the used wall.

8. dave1z

dave1z TDPRI Member

I have read through most of this thread, and to be honest, I mostly just lurk most of the time. I don't want to come off as political, but I feel I must say something. I would guess most of you remember the mighty Sears? It didn't matter what town you lived in or the economic situation it was in, the inventory in each was the same. You got the same "good" tools in each (craftsman). That was because people were willing to pay for quality back then. Forward to today when the Asian (subsidised ...sic ... economies) companies produce substandard crap, and we keep buying it up, and we complain because all we see on the shelf is squires? GC, being a franchise should have the same quality stuff no matter where you live. I hear some of you say that the stores in more affluent areas carry better stuff. I wonder if any of you have watched some of the youtube videos showing the stores in Asia displaying high end guitars ... store after store. They buy American, quality guitars (custom shop ... vintage etc. and we don't!) If people keep buying cheap chinese junk, tools at Wally world, is there any wonder why Sears is going under, and soon ... GC. If you want your local store to stock good stuff ... stop buying 10 or more throw away pieces of junk, save your money and buy one quality item. Stop buying pot metal tools that only last a week. You don't need 10-15 cheap guitars ... you only need 1 really good one. Hard to put my thoughts into words here. I'm just of a certain age when I remember a time when a person went out shopping for "durable" goods. It's not about who dies with the most cheap toys, it's about who passes on an heirloom that one can be proud of. Quality vs. quantity? I'm sorry if I offended anyone here. It wasn't my intention. A tool is a tool. Buy wise and perhaps the store local to you will stock the "good" stuff??? Just my thoughts.

Hop2it, wblynch and BigDaddyLH like this.
  9. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

GC stores sre company owned, not feanchises, if that is what you meant.

Now, a 15 year old kid isn't going to have $2000 or more. But he can afford a squier. Volume is profitable. Moving merchandise is profitable. A kid playing guitar is a good thing. Selling 30 guitars a week is good business. Selling one guitar a month is bad business

hellopike and t guitar floyd like this.
  10. VikinginLA

VikinginLA Tele-Meister

They recently did a complete re-model of the Hollywood store at Sunset......I only really go there to check out the vintage room and buying strings

11. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I won't even darken the door of a Guitar Center anymore. Usually they don't have what I need in stock anyway. I'm totally confident about purchasing all my gear online. I've never had to return anything yet, but if I did I would be OK with returning something by mail.

Last guitar I purchased was a '52 reissue Telecaster. Nobody local had one. But I wanted one that had a matched straight-grain body. No problem, my online rep looked out for one for me and when one came in, it was shipped out to me immediately.

I also buy all my strings, picks, and cables online, usually via Amazon. I play .11-.49 and that means that local stores don't usually have them because all the local players around here are metal shredders whose idea of the ultimate guitar is a Jackson-Charvel.

I haven't tried buying an amp online. But that's only because there's so much overstock locally of used amps. I can't imagine buying an amp new because of that.

Tuneup likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I hear you. Sorry.

I was trying to convey, that the sort of guitar I might buy for $ 100 in 2007 is now $ 200. And maybe they should be $ 200.

If only we could get a second shot at all those older guitars we could've had for very reasonable money. But no, I'm glad it didn't happen more than it did as I simply would've lost more guitars and had more pain when Katrina came and got everything except one.

13. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

can you clarify,

You have not been in a GC for 10 months
    You got a gift card at Christmas
    you went to the local GC right after Christmas looking for SOMETHING or other
    The store appeared empty except for some lo cost guitars

is this correct ?

It may be entirely possible that GC had a VERY successful sales month of December ! Which is why they are in business.

The two local GC's here in my area are about the same, on any NORMAL business day they have a large wide selection of off shore or over the border guitars , which appears to be the SELLING ITEMS these days. These are the guitars people are buying.

Just look at all the threads right here on the board about which guitars players are buying and praising.

Then a smaller amount of higher priced USA guitars out of reach.

Without even asking I suspect GC's inventory of $399 to $799 new guitars is moving rapidly and thats whats being re-stocked each month.

GC is still a local brick and mortar store and they are more than likely feeling the pain from internet sales, regardless of who they may be.

If we are buying most of our gear and stuff from another outlet, on-line, we really can't blame GC for not being able to compete with price or inventory-wise.

That being said, going into any local retail store right after Christmas may not be the best shopping adventure !

hellopike likes this.
  14. ShortintheSleeve

ShortintheSleeve TDPRI Member

The last time I was in the GC in Memphis the inventory level seemed normal. I've bought a couple pedals there over the years and a used guitar, but if I stop in, it's usually just for strings, picks, etc.

15. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don't really want GC to go away.

Say something catastrophic happens to my Telecaster.. like it got stolen.

I think if I wanted another Fender Telecaster GC would be one of my only real options... I'd end up at one or more of the local GCs and I'd actually put up with the pain of getting staff to get 4-5 of them down off the top racks/unlock them and try them out.

My only other option would be some kind of really painful process with sweetwater or something.

There is basically no other option besides GC AFAICT for actually getting a new Fender or Gibson.

I have a local independent place that carries G&L that would be a way better place to shop than GC... the guitars are in great shape, they set them up, maintain humidity, keep strings fresh. But not a Fender.

I also have a very famous other place (The Music Emporium) close by. I could get a Tele there, but not a Fender. It'd have to be some $1500-2000+ boutique copy.

16. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

What are you guys bitchin' about???
    Try being lefthanded!
    ;-}

Hop2it and Dog Bite like this.
  17. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

it seems to me that we want it both ways.

We desire mid to lower priced guitars, across the border or off shore, NOT USA guitars . Just look at our threads. We brag about them.

GC stocks and sells a ton of these. Thats probably 75% of their guitar business. The one GC I go to now and then that inventory is moving very fast, it's always changing. FSR's, BAJA , all of the above..under $799, many under $499 .

Then we go there and wonder why they don't have many guitars made right here in the USA. Be it Acoustics or Electrics.

interesting

18. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Cedar Hill?

LocoTex likes this.
  19. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

A few of these posts have somewhat danced around he edges of the "Buy it for Life" movement, which is something I have been trying to do more of. I find GC to be a big help w/ this as they have pretty good pricing on much of their used gear, and you can find some nice stuff flying under the radar. I rarely look at anything new anymore especially in musical instruments, as there is simply to much quality used stuff available. I find it interesting that on a board dedicated on one of the most basic yet tweakable guitars available, more people don't own a few stellar examples, instead of multiple budget variation on a theme

Hop2it and LocoTex like this.
  20. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Different than my experience two days ago. I went into our local, 35 miles away, GC to return an Xmas present and the place was packed with guitars. 3 long rows of just Gibson Les Pauls all individually locked in their stands. A room of very high end stuff behind locked glass and then long rows, three levels high along one long wall with every mid range guitar, PRS, Jackson, Fenders, Gretsch’s, etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.