Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What guitar that you still own has been in your possession the longest?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Otis Fine, Sep 2, 2016.

1. exactopposite

exactopposite Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2010
    Philly
    2001 Santana SE. I really wanted one and then I saw the pictures of the 2002 model with that ugly pickguard. So, I bought one before the 2001 models were out of stock. After upgrading the electronics it's a great guitar.

2. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

Apr 26, 2003
    Southern Indiana
    A Yamaki acoustic I bought in 1978. I lent it to a friend last year and he wanted to buy it, but I couldn't let it go. Needs a bridge, frets, more than one crack repaired and I never play it, but it's the guitar I really figured stuff out on. Spruce top, rosewood body and a headstock just like this one:

[​IMG]

brookdalebill and AngelDeville like this.

3. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    I bought my J-45 new in 1999, and so far had Willie and Merle sign it.

RoyBGood likes this.

4. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

1935 Martin 0-18, which I bought in 1964.

5. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    I still have my '56 Les Paul Jr. which I got in '71 and it is now my longest owned guitar. My first guitar and a few others were stolen a long time ago.

I have to ask about the mod to your guitar. When was it done, and was it worth it?

6. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That's a keeper and worth getting tuned up. A luthier friend of mine and I were chatting about the really well crafted Japanese guitars that made their way west in the 70's and early 80's. She trained under Larivee and knows her way around acoustic instruments. She mentioned Yamaki and if I remember correctly, she likened them to Japan's answer to the Martin guitar. Some models were pretty much a perfect replica. Regardless, from the look of that bound neck and headstock, it's a pretty nice guitar.

7. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

Apr 26, 2003
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the info, awasson! I've been thinking about doing a rebuild for nostalgia's sake. The Yamaki I have was there top-of-the-line model at the time. Cost me $500.00, and I could have bought a new Martin D18 for the same price at the time. It would certainly be my best example of a relic!

8. kwcsports

kwcsports TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Canada
    I've got a 1983 MIA Strat that I bought new.

9. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Dec 18, 2011
    Atlanta
    1971 Les Paul Deluxe. I got it when I was 13, the summer before the 8th grade in 1975. The bridge pickup area had been routed for a full size humbucker when I bought it from a guy who had wrecked his brother's car. I had the neck routed about 5 years ago. Original electronics, but with Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups. Sounds great, and I will never part with it. Slim neck, fast player, low action, vintage tone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ickylick and GoldDeluxe5E3 like this.

10. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Dec 26, 2014
    Walland, Tn
    Mine is my Blueridge BR-160. Got it brand new when I was 12(not my first guitar, just my first good one)and just played a bluegrass festival with it back in November.

11. Zipper

Zipper TDPRI Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Montana
    Baldwin "Baby Bison" 1972

12. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

I've had a natural with red mots guard tele my wonderful wife gave me 16 years ago this Christmas. I haven't ever really bonded with it but would never part with it.

13. rag1

rag1 TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Katy Texas
    1978 Telecaster I got in 1983[​IMG]

2 Headed Goat likes this.

14. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    That thing is sex.

15. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Jan 25, 2007
    GNV FLA USA
    MIJ no-name acoustic, bought in Japan by my Dad in the early '70's. The sixer below.
    [​IMG]

16. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

Apr 3, 2011
    smyrna tn
    [​IMG]

The first question is easy. I had it done a few years after getting the guitar (around 1975). The second question is not so easy to answer... The short answer is no, it wasn't worth it because I regretted it as soon as I saw the way it looked and the regrets continued to grow as time went on. I have rationalized it through the years with these two thoughts: 1) I didn't know any better 2) I gigged it for years and it played in tune. At this point I accept it as part of the guitars (and my) history. The important thing is I'm lucky to have it. It's a great guitar and I enjoyed wearing the gold plating off that bridge and tail piece. Fortunately, I wasn't prone to messing with electronics back then so the p90 and everything else is practically untouched. The neck is perfectly straight and has never been adjusted. In other words, I could have done worse.

By the way, I'm jealous you live near Fitzgeralds where I enjoyed many evenings with friends seeing many great artist. We've got some ok music here in Nashville () but after almost 20 years gone I still miss Chi town and Fitzgeralds.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016

17. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    That would be my Harmony H-6 Emphasizer Lap Steel made in the 50's. I obtained it from a garage sale in the 80's. Platefire Harmony Lap Steel 003.jpg
    Harmony Lap Steel 004.jpg

18. AAT65

AAT65 Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    The one I've continuously had the longest is my Yamaha FG335 acoustic, which was a 16th birthday present back in 1981: it's on the right in this picture.
    [​IMG]
    It still plays pretty good although the action is a bit high - I think due to the top deforming and lifting the bridge.
    The guitar in the middle of the pic is the oldest guitar in my possession and the one I started learning on back in about 1975 - most of the scraping of the finish was me banging away with a plectrum. However technically speaking it is still my mother's guitar, not mine, and although it's been in my house since about 1996 I didn't have it for about 10 years before that.

My electrics are all newer - the oldest is my MIK Squier Strat which I bought new in 1987 or 1988.

19. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Ive got my first ever nylon string , so a bit over 40 years I guess. It needs tuners , and I keep forgetting to order them , but some day....

Electric that Ive owned the longest is a 2001 Rockinger Strat , basically a partscaster bought at once , made in Germany

20. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted

My Sigma DM 18 that my late parents bought for me on my 21st Birthday in 1982

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.