Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What guitar does my collection need?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Bluego1, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Something with P-90s
    Something Gretsch-y
    Something 335-y
    Something funky like a Teisco del Rey or Supro or Danelectro, etc.
    Baritone
    Bass
    12-string

Bluego1 likes this.
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Lessons.

I know. Not as fun, but biggest bang for your buck at this point.

Piggy Stu, Bluego1 and awasson like this.
  3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    A 3-string cigar box would be my suggestion. They are very cheap to build or to purchase and they are so simple to play that it allows you to have some fun when you want to make some music without the rigors of more technical play.

Zepfan and Bluego1 like this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Sounds like you need something pointy with high output pups.

Bluego1 likes this.
  5. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    Not anymore they are not. You left them in the welcome wagon. Finders Keepers .....

Bluego1 likes this.
  6. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    @adjason for the win!

Maybe a nice acoustic. Take your time and get something special. Get a proper Strat. I had one in the early 90’s but wasn’t bright enough to appreciate it. I’ve got two now and I play them all the time. Everybody needs a 335 type guitar.

Bluego1 likes this.
  7. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    P90s or.... maybe P-Rails

Bluego1 likes this.
  8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
  9. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Meister

Aug 3, 2018
    Washington
    Thanks for all the comments. I think I’ll probably go with something I can plug in. I’ve got an old acoustic that I play every once in a while but for the foreseeable future I’m more interested in electric and the variety of sounds I can get from them. I spend probably 2 hours per day just emulating various famous guitar riffs and stuff and an hour learning music. I only have a 15 watt Yamaha with basic eq and a gain dial but it's a pretty good quality amp (as is everything Yamaha). I’m getting a Boss Katana 50 for Christmas though, so ****’s about to get real;). I think the 335 might be the way to go, but man the real ones are expensive. I like the Ibanez idea but love this Epiphone dot.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETDDAMNH--epiphone-dot-deluxe-aquamarine

10. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I'm diggin what you got so far, you can cover a lot of tonal territory w/ that herd :)

looking at your list, you certainly are well covered in the "HH" types - and have an awesome Tele (baja) already

Some things I might suggest:

• SSS Strat - your pacifica is HSS, a vintage-type SSS would be nice to have as well
    • P90s - something w/ P90s or equivalent
    • a "tron" equipped guitar, like a Gretsch, a Fender Cabronita, or anything with TVJones pickups
    • an acoustic - yamaha makes some really nice, affordable, acoustics

Bluego1 likes this.
  11. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    P-Rails.......... many kool sounds. they have to be set up right though. screw the P90 poles in so you can raise the pickup in order to give the single coil side equal power. then either 4 way switching or "Triple Shot" mounting each pickup so you can get all 4 sounds from each

Bluego1 likes this.
  12. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hahaha. Overpaying for something we want that's setup exactly how we want it, is a way of life. Exactly how I paid $700+ for my S&W stainless steel Combat Masterpiece.

Bluego1 likes this.
  13. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2018
    Queens, NY
    Check out all the Michael Kelly guitars.

Find a model you like, and if you can't find a dealer near you who has them in stock, look for them on Youtube.

I bought one about 6 weeks ago, and the build quality and sound are there.

They're one of the best values out there right now.

Mike ;)

Bluego1 likes this.
  14. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    that as one a list that just begs to be player and played have you considered a lap steel guitar " the prince of blues guitars"

Bluego1 likes this.
  15. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    It sounds like you want "one of each" so go ahead and do it! The guitar industry needs guys like you.

The dirty little secret is that if you want to be a better player, you are probably better off having just one or two. Hundreds of hours with a single guitar pays a lot of dividends that can't be had with a big rotating collection. Think Blackie, SRV or Bonnie Raitt or Andy Summer's guitars, etc. You probably have to go through a ton of guitars to find that one, though.

If you want to own the whole gamut of classic styles though, the glaring omission is probably a strat and secondarily a hollowbody of some kind. The spreadsheet with all the different woods listed is cool, but don't kid yourself that it matters in any real way. Have fun! Again, nothing wrong with wanting a ton of guitars. Just be aware it has nothing to do with playing or sounding good.

Piggy Stu, richiek65, Mike SS and 2 others like this.
  16. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Oh, and one more thing - you have six guitars already, what is your amp situation? If you're interested in a variety of sounds you'll need a variety of AMPS more than guitars, or some good modeling gear.

Piggy Stu and Bluego1 like this.
  17. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Jazzmaster or an Epiphone Zephyr John Lee Hooker

mimmo and Bluego1 like this.
  18. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Meister

Aug 3, 2018
    Washington
    Getting a Boss Katana 50 for Christmas. Currently just using a Yamaha 15 watt, but it sounds pretty good for a beginner. I think. And I’ll get all the dam guitars I want. You’re not the boss of me;).

dogmeat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.