Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What guitar did you let get away and wish you still owned?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larmo63, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Sacramento, California
    I've had two that I now regret trading away.

First, an Alvarez Dana II Triforce that I won in a drawing. I traded it for an SG Special when I was dumping all my Floyd Rose guitars for fixed bridge models. It had some fantastic tones between those pickups:

[​IMG]

Second was a US Hamer Special I picked up around the same time as the Alvarez. It was a wonderful guitar. Awesome neck and tones. Had two Seymour Duncans in it. Traded it for my first Tele, which I love just as much - but I still miss my Hamer when the topic of P90s comes up. I'll get one again one of these days:

[​IMG]

LocoTex likes this.
  2. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2018
    Switzerland/France
    Nothing special for me, but 2 average guitars spring to mind;

A Fender Classic 60's Strat (or equivalent model, I think I have a pic of it somewhere). MIM from the early 2000's. It was a 3T sunburst, rosewood neck, and looked lovely. I play with a low action and 10's, always have - for some reason I had this set up from new with a super high action and 13's trying the 'Stevie Ray' thing. Consequently I hardly ever played it as it was semi-unplayable, so when I moved one time it went into storage along with other unused gear. A few years later I asked my Sister to sell the stuff as I wasn't using it, so it went for a low price, along with a Laney VC30-112 valve amp and a bunch of pedals.

Second was a PRS Santana SE MIK. Once the guitars were announced in ~2000, I pre-ordered one. It arrived and I instantly deemed it unplayable due to the large neck, very different radius to what I usually played (7.25) and high frets. For me, it just felt all kinds of wrong and I traded it at a loss soon after. Looking back, it was an absolutely lovely guitar, with all the features I look for *now*.

I really can't say I let my 'holy grail' slip away, it's more that I look back at the guitars and amp and wonder how good they could have been if the time had been different, or I'd had more patience to bond with the instruments. Throughout this I always kept my 'number 1' - a MIJ I got in 1994 and adore - I think this guitar being just amazing colored my opinion on others.

3. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    My second ever guitar was one of these.

IMG_0806.JPG

And I had one of these (light blue colour) back in my playing days. Really regret letting this one go. :(

IMG_0805.JPG

Dismalhead likes this.
  4. williamwonka

williamwonka TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2019
    USA
    I flipped a John 5 Tele almost overnight. My time spent with it was very short, but I really enjoyed the time I spend with it. Here is a video of me reviewing it. I posted a link on Craigslist and made a hundred bucks. Great guitar.

5. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    My first electric guitar...a 1976 Blonde Gibson Les Paul Deluxe. Sold it in the late '80's for college tuition money for $400.00. I was hurting for money and didn't know what it was worth. Found out several years later my co-worker "friend" flipped it and made quite a profit. I won't mention numbers because my blood pressure is already rising.
    To this day I miss it and regret selling it. At the same time I sold an all numbers matching 1942 DOT Mauser G33/40 Mountain Carbine for $400. Same story there sold it to a friend who said he's sell it back if I wanted it. I offered $600 at the time and he still said "no". There was no internet back in those days so I had no idea what they were worth...only that I needed eight hundred more bucks for books and tuition.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 6:51 PM
  6. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    This thread has got me rethinking a trade I was going for. I have a 2011 MIM FSR Tele that I had put up for sale, taken down several times. Was thinking about negotiating a trade for a 2018 FSR - don't think I can let this one go.

7. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    way too many but here a few
    60's Jag ( I owned 2 of these )
    60 tele see the 65 BF super
    70 EB3L

K2.jpg K.jpg 14.jpg

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. RB522

RB522 Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2018
    Burlington, WI
    A Peavey T-60. It was actually a really nice guitar.

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    '68 Les Paul Gold Top with P-90's and a master volume control on the pick guard. I traded it for a '66 Epi Riviera which I still have, and have a Historic '56 LP, but it was a pretty special guitar and I played it in my first bands.

scan0003.jpg

brookdalebill likes this.
  11. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    After an expensive divorce, I sold my 1956 Mary Kay. I had house payments and three kids to feed.
    So, priorities ................

Bill and Paul in Colorado like this.
  12. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

The first guitar I ever bought, an '88 Alvarez Regent 5212.

Nothing special, just a starter model, but it was my first.

I bought it in September of '89 with a case (pressboard), choice of $10 straps, pitch pipe, extra set of strings, handful of store labeled plastic 351 size picks, beginner guitar book and "4 free lessons" for the princely sum of $80 OTD.

Picked it up pretty quickly and was trying to play up the neck within 2 months. Action was too high and I asked to have it lowered.

Rather than shave the bottom of the saddle, they cut the nut slots deeper. To keep it from buzzing they dialed in more relief.

Lowered action on cowboy chords, bv raised it over the neck. Action at 12th fret was a half inch!

When I complained, the owner said "Well, you didn't spend much. Good action costs money."

Showed me a thousand dollar Yari. Said "I know you just bought the Regent, and we'll give you $20 in trade."

When I looked at him funny he said "Especially since it needs a new nut."

Then he said "Now this Yari doesn't come with a case. Guitar like this an Alvarez locking hard case would be about a hundred bucks."

Yeah, I'm sure thousand dollar Yari don't come with a case.

Anyway I struggled with that guitar, playing the lightest strings that didn't sound too jangly.

Upgraded 4-5 years later so it was extra. I was going to keep it as a campfire guitar. Possibly do a John Lennon PAF pup installation and use it for slide.

There was a barmaid up here I was sweet on, and she seemed to be interested in learning to play.

I was coming home on weekends and left my guitar at her place. I'd give her lessons in her bedroom- sitting on her bed, door closed I thought I was that much closer.

The guitar stayed in her bedroom for a few weeks then she said she really didn't want to learn afterall.

Might have realized my other motive.

The guitar lived in a corner of the living room. It was an employee house, lots of after hours parties and it was nice to have a guitar there to play when I wanted it.

I didn't see it the next time I was over there, thought maybe she'd started playing again.

Askf her if she had, she said no. Didn't know where it was. In the past it would turn up in someone else's room and that's what I was hoping would happen again.

Alas, it did not.

What I think happened was somebody noticed an unattended guitar that nobody would miss, until they had gotten away with it.

So it just walked out of my life.

13. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 10, 2003
    White Mountains
    Bad subject...Life can be cruel.
    I suppose the worst was my Guild T-100 with a single humbucker from the 50's. Presently it's on EBay with the case I bought for Her for like $2400...they really let it go to hell...look at the binding popping off on the Florentine Cut...Life can be cruel...bad subject...beech.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 12:25 AM
  14. scelestus

scelestus TDPRI Member

Jun 24, 2018
    Michigan
    I had a 2001 or 2002 Les Paul Junior Special that I should not have sold. It had a real story behind it and I don't know why I ever let it go.

I have tried to get in touch with the guy that bought it, but I haven't had any luck. It's been years now but I'd still love to get it back. I have the serial number and am always on the lookout.

15. rjp68

rjp68 TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Central California
    A tie between my fender James Burton telecaster and valley arts Larry Carlton Tele.

16. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    I've had many guitars since the 1980s, and I don't really regret selling or trading any of them. If I didn't keep them, there was a reason. I like the guitars I have now.

marc2211 likes this.
  17. Damitboy

Damitboy TDPRI Member

Dec 8, 2018
    omaha ne
    Thats a whole lotta seperation
    anxiety

DougM likes this.
  18. Damitboy

Damitboy TDPRI Member

Dec 8, 2018
    omaha ne
    oops, mistap,nice ax built like a piano

19. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    And that's just the ones that I remember!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.