What guitar did you let get away and wish you still owned?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larmo63, Jan 10, 2019.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

'92 Les Paul Standard, cherry sunburst.
    Two MIA stratocasters.

Mostly, it's the amps I got rid of that I wish I had kept.

2. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

The 1968/69 Tele Thinline that I found to be the best sounding Tele that I ever owned..
    The guy made the deal so damn sweet that I couldn't refuse it..It was a trade plus cash and I eventually ended up with a profit of nearly 3 grand from a $200 investment..
    But in today's market that guitar would likely be worth close to that amount..
    Still wish I had kept it..

Chicago Matt and brookdalebill like this.
  3. John How

John How Tele-Meister

My first real guitar was a 1967 strat sunburst I worked all summer to buy it...I broke my arm, senior year in high school and had to wear a cast on my right arm but never stopped playin the guitar so it got pretty severely scratched up...I foolishly stripped and refinished it...then a few years later sold or traded it for an acoustic...it had sweet tone and I wish I had it back...instead, I have a mim strat that I installed different pickups in and have never bonded with...now I play a home built p-90 LP Special thing, I like it just fine though...

Chicago Matt and brookdalebill like this.
  4. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Oh, and I did sell my Slate gray /red guts '63 Porsche 356 coupe also. I didn't even need the money at the time.

I can be dumb in more than one hobby at the same time.

5. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's

A 1999 American made Roadhouse Strat in candy apple red! I miss that guitar!

6. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Didn't actually own, but had this bad boy to fool around with waylongeragothanicaretothink:

[​IMG]

7. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

‘65 SG Jr. Cherry red.
    Changed tuners, but all else original.
    Purchased at a vintage show in Pomona, CA 1996
    It did all the things Les Paul Jrs do, weighed nothing, and played effortlessly.
    I wound up trading it a few years later for something stupid.
    Barely a day goes by where I don’t think of that guitar.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh, a Modulus M92-5 would probably top my list. It happened in one of my weaker moments.

image001.jpg

9. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

For me it was my second acoustic - an Ibanez PC5: grand concert PF series. It was only $150 but was very comfortable to play and looked and sounded great. I sold it to pay for repairs to a vintage guitar that I had inherited.

I happened to find a similar AC10 on a local classified for $100, Same grand concert style but with a solid top. Sound better that my PC5, but the old PC5 looked better.

I know better to sell off guitars now! ( or should I say ' for now ' )

10. mstan72

mstan72 TDPRI Member

Teisco Del Rey ET230, paid $75 for it, pawned it for $150 to pay my mom's electric bill, lost it.

I know they aren't worth much, it was sentimental to me...the friend I bought it from I haven't seen in a long time.

11. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My first electric bass was a mid-60s Jazz I paid $200 for in 1975, when it was just an old used bass. Sold it a few years later for about the same.

In 1979 I bought an Epiphone Sorrento for $100 and sold it a few months later for $125. Missed it, found another for $100, and sold that one, too. Back then I could only afford to own one guitar at a time.

Around that time I also bought an ES-125 for around $125, and a dual neck Fender non-pedal steel for around $60. Both long gone.

12. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

93461570-B0FA-4FFC-B6D8-79FB003FEE1E.jpeg

Miss that saddlelock bridge! I was considering using it on a build sometime, in spite of that foot on the underside that requires a routing template. It has sort of a muscle car feel to it. I think I figured out how they got the blue and black swirls. May hafta try that finish sometime, too.

13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Never should have sold my sunburst ES-333.

14. esseff

esseff Tele-Meister

A 2006 Lite Ash Tele. I ordered one through my local dealer and it played like a dream straight out of the box. I had to sell it six years later and even though I bought another (used) a few years ago, it never quite matched the first one for sweetness. :cry:
    I did score a Yamaha G100-212 amplifier free from the buyer: it wouldn't switch on after being stored for a while and he was going to throw it in the dumpster. Five minutes to de-corrode the fuse holder soon had it rattling the rafters. I wish I still had that as well but it was too heavy to move when I was relocating.

15. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

My 1952 Les Paul...
    52 Les Paul.jpg

Chicago Matt, OldDude2, Bill and 2 others like this.
  16. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

'67 Blonde Tele (played like buttah!)

17. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

I bought a brand new 1998 MIA Strat. I put a Hot Rails in the bridge, and an LSR roller nut. I wired it with a toggle to have the bridge, and neck together, and could split the Hot rail. That thing never went out of tune, even using the vibrato bar. Alas I sold it to fund my B-Bender.

18. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

My orange partscaster tele. Chambered Chandler body with a thin spruce top. Don Mare pickups. Lost it in NYC years ago and miss it all the time. It had an unusual sound I've not heard again.

If anyone in the NYC area knows of a gretsch orange partcaster that feels light and hollow, please get in touch!

19. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Gibson 1963 ES-125 TDC----played it to death. Sold to fund some car repairs.
    Conn acoustic flattop with arched back all maple. Don't know the model #, but had the most stable neck ever and the best sounding acoustic ever! Had the deep boom of a Martin with the chime of a Gibson. Sold because I'm an idiot.

20. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

An '68 SG Special in 1983 I think it was. Traded in for a new Strat.. I had to get a Strat, but... that SG Special.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.