Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What Goes Wrong on Roland Cube 20GX

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Ryan Aditantra, May 15, 2017.

1. Ryan Aditantra

Ryan Aditantra TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    Hi all,

I am relatively new in this electric guitar world. Although I started jamming on band since I was 12 y.o, I just had my first electric guitar as a wedding present from my colleague back in 2014. Having new electric guitar, I brought myself to music shop to buy amp. I knew nothing bout electric guitar and gear, but my choice that time (considering budget) was Roland Cube 20GX (shopkeeper suggested this). I found it a great choice as my (well-knowleged) friend said it was ok. My guitar at the moment was Samick Semi-Hollow Body RL-3. I played top 40s, and pop-jazz song.

Starting journey on electric guitar, I found that I was interested in crunchy, twangy, and bluesy sound as Telecaster produces. Then I decided to buy Squier Telecaster Standard Series. It felt good. I got my character on that. Till finally, I bought Fender Telecaster American Standard. But still, using Roland Cube 20GX.

Lately, I am doing so many (youtube) research on sound, tone, gear, etc, and frequently perform for my office's occasion. As time goes buy, I lay myself on classic, twangy, bluesy, and dry sound. I love it. The problem is, I see that my Roland Cube 20GX does not support my needs anymore on those sounds. My questions are:

1) Is it Roland Cube 20gx that doesn't properly support clean tone for crunchy, bluesy, dry sounds?
    2) Or is it because I need bigger speaker, may be I need to go with Roland Cube 40GX?
    3) Or I totally need to change my amp to support my need?

I am really on budget for amp (as I already spent much on Fender and pedals). Tube amp costs extra budget (and maintenance) so I stay on solid state amp. I am seeing Fender Champion 40 and Boss Katana 50. I am gonna use only clean channel (since I use pedal). Need advise.

Thanks,

2. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    Well, I don't have and have never played a 20GX but I have a GX MicroCube and have played the larger models, so I'm a little puzzled that you can't get a clean/dry/bluesy tone from the amp. Is that at any volume or setting? With the master volume maxed, the amp should be pretty clean, as the Tele is not going to overdrive the front end, assuming you've got something like a Blackface Fender amp model selected, Master dimed and Gain set way back. If it's not clean there, I'd suspect something going on (i.e. wrong) with that amp.

Or, is it just you can't get the amp to play at the overall volume level you need for playing out, and stay clean? A 20GX is going to be pretty limited to small jams or bedroom practice, unless you get it mic'd up. If you need more overall volume, I'd look for more watts. A 40 is going to give you a little more headroom, but if you're actually playing gigs, a used 80GX should be something budget friendly (at least around these parts). Otherwise, maybe look at something like the new Boss Katana 50 or 100 if they're in your price range, or other amps with more watts that fit your budget.

codamedia likes this.

3. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    The Cube 20 has an 8" speaker. Try something with at least a 10" speaker.

4. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    The 20gx is limited on it's amp choices... but that doesn't mean it "can't" do what you are after.

1: Clean should be easy... set it for JC Clean - the JC is a benchmark for clean. Turn it up and go!
    2: For a more bluesy tone, set the lead channel for "overdrive", turn up the gain to get just a little dirt and the volume to match the level of the JC Clean. You don't want this channel too dirty, just a little bit of break up. Rule of thumb.... high gain & low volume = more dirt. Low gain & high volume = less dirt.

Use your master as the overall volume control.

However, I think you will be hard pressed to get that amp loud enough at a show... even if it is loud enough, the 8" speaker will be limiting and the amp will sound small. At home, or recording - it should sound fine.

Just my opinion...

5. Ryan Aditantra

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    Nice input. I already come to my personal technician, he said nothing wrong with my amp. I just feel like, the sound of the clean channel much2 more bright and clear when I use headphone rather than the speaker. If I use speaker, it's like I need to adjust the equalizer. I turn the bass on 9, middle on 9, and treble on 3 or 4, but still, I feel like I can't get clean tone as I want.

If I perform/jam with friends using marshall 100 Head-Cabinet, it sounds almost same if I use headphone on cube 20GX. Then I start assuming that the speaker on cube can't get along anymore.

6. Ryan Aditantra

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    This had been in my mind for several days. That's why I am seeing fender champ 40 or boss katana 50. Any suggestion?

7. Ryan Aditantra

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    Thanks for your advise. But I feel like the clean channel in JC Clean way too warm. Even when I use accoustic simulator on lead channel, it sounds just same as clean channel. It will sound different only if I use headphone. Is it because cube 20GX speaker actually made for supporting onboard effect such as distortion or metal?

Wonder how clean channel on roland cube 40GX will sound like.

8. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    I'm certainly confused when you say it's brighter in the headphones, but then you have the treble turned down so low if you are using the speaker?

Anyway, it seems like you are trying to get the sound of a much bigger speaker out of that 8" than is possible. Of course, headphones will sound much different than the speaker because they're moving a tiny mass of air. (If you put a good microphone right in front of that speaker and recorded it, then listened back on headphones, you might be surprised at what that sounds like.)

An 8" speaker is not going to sound like a 10, or 12, let alone a cabinet of speakers once you get more than a couple of inches from it. It's simple physics. If you want to move air, you need more speaker surface area, and more watts.

codamedia likes this.

9. Ryan Aditantra

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    I'm certainly confused when you say it's brighter in the headphones, but then you have the treble turned down so low if you are using the speaker? - I mean 3-4 o'clock dude. that is the position I usually use on cube.

it seems like you are trying to get the sound of a much bigger speaker out of that 8" than is possible - Yea, been crossing in my mind.

10. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I hate to bring up the obvious... but if your JC Clean is too warm, it could be those EQ settings. Also, you should expect to EQ differently for speakers vs phones... that's common.

IMO.... forget what you usually use, and dial this amp in using your ears not your eyes.

Sorry, I had to say it ;)

I fully agree with the others and you that the 8" speaker is likely your biggest enemy at this point. You want a big sound (which is why you turn up the lows) but in pushing that you are killing the highs. A little bigger amp with a larger speaker is probably what you are seeking.

11. Ryan Aditantra

May 15, 2017
    Jakarta
    yes, ears not eyes. Great quotes.

Sure, I am to buy 12 inch speaker modelling amps. Do you have any suggestions for me? Boss Katana 50 or Fender Champion 40?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.