Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What Gibson guitar got butchered here?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Manolete, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Saw this on a local Gumtree listing.

For those outside the UK, Gumtree is probably bigger than Craigslist here. Sometimes some weird things turn up on it.

This guitar is made from a chopped Gibson. Never seen a Gibson with "The Gibson guitar company USA" written around the headstock logo like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

I suspect that no Gibson's were harmed in the making of that er... thing. :)

3. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

What ever you do don't show it to Henry E. Juszkiewicz or it might end up as the replacement to the Firebird X!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

That headstock is freaking me out. I guess it could be fake. Perhaps it comes from that dark period of 70s-80s Gibsons that often get overlooked.

6. c.winn

c.winn Tele-Meister

That headstock is from one of the few produced bolt-on neck Gibsons: the Sonex.

I have a Sonex Deluxe, and it is a Mahogany neck/Rosewood fingerboard bolt-on (four bolt) to a body made of something called "Resonwood", which I figure is glue, sawdust and paint chips. Incredibly heavy. A pair of Dirty Fingers humbuckers, SG-style CPA, everything mounted to the pickguard.

[​IMG]

Not my pic, but looks just like my guitar. Fuzzy, but you can make out the logo. Yes, the logo is for real:

[​IMG]

Mine was built in 1982. They were made from '80-'84. I've actually talked to a few guys that still work at Gibson who remember making these.

I'd guess someone took the neck & put it on a homemade body. A badly homemade body.

I bought mine off Craigslist last fall for $125. A steal. They go for around $300 - $400.....but of course the Sam Ash here in Nashville has one for $899!:eek:

For what it's worth, the neck is great. I like Gibson necks, and this one has enough heft and taper to feel really good. Plus, mine is very worn - the finish is rubbed off at points. If the price is low enough, you may be able to score a decent bolt-on genuine Gibson neck - with that nice rosewood fingerboard.

7. c.winn

c.winn Tele-Meister

I just reread the link. Notice that the pickups have two height adjustment screws on the bass side, one on the treble - those are stock Sonex pickups. Dirty Fingers. The control layout looks to match the typical SG/Sonex CPA, as well.

I had to swap out the pots on mine. With the tone wide open, if I rolled the volume below 7 the tone went to mud. You may (hopefully) have a better experience. Not difficult, though.

I checked the price, looks like about $265 US Dollars? Not bad for a Gibson neck & a set of PUPS. Maybe get a new body......

8. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

I've not got the dough at the moment, just curious!

9. paratus

paratus Tele-Afflicted

If my dog had a face like that I would shave his behind and make him walk backwards!

10. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I would second that it does look all Gibson but the body. Not really a bad deal. Be a good project for someone that wanted to build a better looking body to match. I could see it being a bolt on SG or Les Paul or Jr. or double cut or explorer or whatever. If you really wanted to get wild, you could build a Telecaster shaped body to go with all the Gibson stuff. Drive some folks nuts. It is possible if you watched ebay for a while, you could get a sonex body.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.