What genre of music helped you be a better guitar player in a different genre?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

For me I did a lot of blues improvisation when I first started to teach myself to play the guitar 30 years ago. Pentatonic blues scale really unlocked the fretboard for me. That soul filled sort of playing and bending of notes made my playing hard rock and metal so much better. You can rock out and still have a groove to your music.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

All of them.

3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Rock-n-Roll makes everything easier.

4. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

The most significant one for me was studying jazz in college. Taught me more about how to approach every other style of music than any other. The concepts I learned in jazz help me break down and tackle literally ever other style I play. The asterisk here would be the harmony I learned of in jazz is really classical in origin so I guess it's a double answer in a way, but the applicable methods were via jazz.

Slip Kid, Toadtele and burtf51 like this.
  5. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

Studying jazz opened a lot for me.

Slip Kid and burtf51 like this.
  6. Cheap guitar guy

I believe if I'm not mistaken Bill Ward drummer for Black Sabbath was originally trained as a Jazz drummer.

7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

My listening to a lot of raggae sure helped when I was pressed into service in tejano music. Mostly a right hand thing.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  8. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Country/Americana

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Gospel ragtime. A hard nut to conquer, but once I got it I feel like I can do anything on a guitar.

As a whole though, my biggest jump was to succeed in fingerstyle playing.

10. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Jazz, my cousin's band gets paid at expensive restaurants that have Jazz playing. They have been together since 4th grade band in school, Tight & talented for sure. They know all the standards...i got asked to sit when the guitar player couldn't make a serious commitment. I am a rock-heavy player..we worked out great together, I learned the term..COMP.. you play what you are supposed to then individuals get the solo when time You have to be tight & together. I apply that to my band now..its all comp time..we play to the song together..i learned..a band is about being a team & bring eachother up...vs superstars..these kids know how to make music..it breathes..it builds..it rips..all in a very spontaneous but structured format. Love playing with Jazz musicians..will challenge you in many areas

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

kinda an open ended question and to what degree would you consider yourself a better player. just in my own case when I started studying jazz standards and a little classical music it didn't take me long to figure out that I basically knew nothing in the real greater scope of music....so I'll say the study of jazz and classical helped me become a much humbler player

MatsEriksson likes this.
  12. Cheap guitar guy

It is an open ended question. I played Trumpet from elementary school until I graduated high school. Pretty far stretch from guitar. Understanding that big band experience taught me a lot. As for making me a better in my opinion guitar player (read original post).....just listen to pretty much every Metalica song and don't do anything like that. Harsh. Abrupt. No soul. No rhythm. Terrible mindless solo. Then listen to a song like Bottoms Up Van Halen. The song swings with rhythm. It's hard rock with a soul.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    MatsEriksson likes this.
  13. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

I enjoy many Metallica songs
    This is a favorite...

14. Cheap guitar guy

We can agree to disagree. I can't stand Metalica. When I read a so called article on best Heavy Metal bands ever and Metalica is number one! They shouldn't even be in the top 20. And it really pisses me off when you see Metalica in the top and Black Sabbath below them. I mean come on....really!!!!

15. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Surf a la Ventures

Digital Larry likes this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe a little off the wall, but I think my background in classical and choral music makes me more aware of possibilities in rock music, even though there's no direct connection. I "try" to make my solos reflect an awareness of thematic development, which is just a fancy-schmantzy way of saying they follow a path to build to a logical (musical) conclusion. Pretentious, I know, and I don't mean it to be.... but there are characteristics in "great" music that elevate it above otherwise "OK" music.
    There are usually things to be learned from most musical styles....and we just have to be open to hearing and applying them. :)

Cheap guitar guy likes this.
  17. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

I’ve seen both Metallica and Black Sabath live and enjoyed both!
    Another fantastic guitar player
    Is

telemnemonics likes this.
  18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

24 years ago when my wife was pregnant with our first child she suggested that I buy a “good” acoustic because she was worried about volume or something after the baby would come.

I bought a Martin D-15, my first ever 100% solid wood acoustic. I started playing rock songs gently and cleanly on acoustic. I started going through fingerstyle books and I learned lots of fingerstyle patterns that I applied to songs. My left hand got so strong that I had to switch to 10’s and 11’s on electrics so as not to death grip them out of tune. I learned to control the grip in my my left hand.

My playing got cleaner and stronger and more versatile because I bought a good wooden acoustic and played it every day. Before this, Acoustic was kind of a goofy side thing for me. I play acoustic and electric about 50/50 now.

19. Cheap guitar guy

Acoustic is a good way to start. Well maybe. If you can play it and make advancement in your playing when you pick up an electric you will be on fire. The other side is if you find it too difficult you may quit.

20. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

any music with simple chords that repeat ad nauseam

there's no substitute for burning stuff into your brain till it's automatic and makes you feel totally confident

plus you finally get bored enough to want more out of musical life

MatsEriksson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.