What Genius came up with Daylight Saving Time??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Honestly, this time change thing needs to stop where the time is now, after last nights change!! Why would you take an hour away in the fall, when the sun is already going down earlier?

2. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

YO MAMA did!! lol

3. WelshBluesMan

WelshBluesMan Tele-Meister

I wish they would just leave it at GMT in the UK, that's natural, astronomical time for us. I dread it when the clocks go forward at the end of March. It doesn't need to be light up to 11pm in mid-Summer.

The switch back to GMT in Autumn is to give us more light in the morning. On daylight saving time, it wouldn't get properly light until about 9am in the UK. I think they tried putting the clocks on an extra hour again (GMT +2) in Winter during the '70s or '80s as an experiment, but it was scrapped because people weren't too happy about their kids having to walk to school in pitch darkness during rush hour.

a wobblin, tery and Shuster like this.
  4. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Since it is Daylight Saving Time, the answer to your specific question is the null set.

You are “saving” daylight, not “savings” it.

:)

5. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

Pretty sure it was Ben Franklin. It was perpetuated by various commerce organizations because an hour more daylight after work meant people were likely to go shopping or grab a drink. When in doubt, you can always be sure that the driver is money for someone.

6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I personally live in the present! wait ......I wrote this an hour ago! damn!

7. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

FIFY

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    nojazzhere and Buckocaster51 like this.
  8. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Only a fool would believe that if they cut a foot off the top of a 10 foot rope and sew it on the bottom of the rope … that they will have a longer rope .

9. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

My understanding it was to gain an extra hour of work time for farmers or whatever. OK, so answer me this: Why can't they just get up an hour earlier?

They always do it on Sunday morning, as if that's somehow gonna lessen the impact on people, so they don't have to worry about being late to anything or whatever.

But some of us work on Sundays. And then there are those who go to church every Sunday, regardless. You don't think those people's needs matter?!

Also, I recall watching a TV program, where theyt alked about a study where they comparing driving when you're exhausted to drunk driving. One of the things they did was have people get up an hour early, as one might do if one was going on vacation, or say as you go on Daylight Saving Time. And they found doing that impaired a person's ability to drive safely.

It's all stupid. They need to get rid of it.

10. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    There was no need for DST until time was “standardized”.

The main force behind that were railroads. Imagine trying to run a railroad with every town you served keeping its own local time.

DST first became common during WWI.

Its usefulness now is debatable.

thegeezer, drlucky, Shuster and 3 others like this.
  11. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'll be in the minority here and admit I like like like DST.

I very much enjoy the evening light. Here, in the summer, we get our afternoon thunderstorms - and once they clear about 6pm the remaining hours are cooler, calm, and there's that wonderful after-the-rain smell in the air.

When I was a fishing fool, it was one hour easier to be on the water before dawn. I'd be waking about 4:30am, which would be 3:30 without DST.

12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I have heard (on good authority) that DST was the result of one of the first Nigerian Mail scams.
    As History has shown, way too many people fell for it.

13. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

But if you never used that top portion when it was at the top, and you do now that it's on the bottom, it effectively is longer ;)

I'll go on record as hating this change, but liking what we're changing to. I can't stand getting home from work and having it get dark an hour later (and that's me living really close to work and getting home about 5:30pm).

EDIT: I'll also settle for the world shifting it's activities one hour earlier. So business hours become 8am-4pm rather than 9am-5pm, etc.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Believer, Shuster and tery like this.
  14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Same one that invented BBQ.

Dan R and imwjl like this.
  15. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

Farmers work from before sunrise until after sunset. The clock means nothing.

16. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted

I don't know who's idea it was - but they certainly kept me in the dark about the benefits.;)

Shuster and tery like this.
  17. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

so.... read the history today in fact. the Germans did it in WWI to change when the power plant morning peak came. that saved energy. apparently most of Europe followed that lead. there were also 2 guys that pushed for the changes so that there would be light left when they got off work in order to do their hobbies. farmers hated it because they live by natural events.... now they had to get up really early to milk cows in order to meet the rail schedule (the RR hated it too). also, they need the sun to dry the dew before you can harvest & things like that. and Ben Franklin had nothing to do with it

18. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Move to Arizona.

19. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

and ya.... total PITA. especially here in Alaska where daylight can grow or shrink 5 -6 minutes per day.... dark all day in the winter and daylight all day in the summer.... totally pointless

20. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

Sounds like something Ben Franklin would say.

t guitar floyd and tery like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.