Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What gauge string do you use on your tele? Poll

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Johnny Caster, Feb 5, 2006.

What string gauge you use.

1. 8's Light

98.7%
  2. 9's

0.2%
  3. 10's Standard

0.7%
  4. 11's

0.4%
  5. 12's Heavy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Johnny Caster

Johnny Caster Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    Sort of interested in what gauge other's use on tele's.

Me I use 8's cause they're the cheapest. I like the bright sound of them, though.

2. Johnny Caster

Oct 19, 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    Oh yeah, and why you use that gauge would be nice too.

3. Coyote

Coyote Tele-Meister

May 30, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I started out using 9's, then I went to 8's (only once, though) then I used 10's for a good while, then went down to custom light (.009-.046) and then back to plain 9's.

I had been using the custom lights, and then I played my brother's EC Strat which had 9's on it, and I realized they were easier to bend, which I do a lot of. So I went back to 9's.

Long story short, I use 9's because they are easy to bend.

4. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2003
    Sonoran Desert
    I had to vote 12's because you didn't have a 13-56 listed.

5. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    10-52 here.

I play 12s on my acoustics...10s seem like they're not even there on my Tele. The 52 gives a bit more punchiness on the bottom.

At least that what I am doing this month...

6. Southpaw433

Southpaw433 Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2004
    Pensacola
    I use 10's but looks like 60% of the poll use 11's or even 12's :eek:

I use tens because I like to bend and pull and still have decent tone that heavier strings tend to give. I read somewhere that BB King is using 8's these days. You have to consider wear and tear on the ol' joints and ligaments for the long run. :)

7. kickz28

kickz28 Tele-Holic

Jan 1, 2004
    Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
    I started using 10's. I used 10's for about 9 and a half years then switched to 11's. I liked the tone of the 11's. Then after about six months, I decided to switch back to 10's. I liked the tone again! So from now on I'll be using 10's all the time.

Typing the above paragraph made me realize that, even though I'm only 21 (turned 21 yesterday), I've been playing guitar for 10 years and one month. To me, it seems that I've always played guitar. Too bad I still suck badly!

Joey

8. zeeman

zeeman Tele-Meister

Jul 15, 2003
    Ohio
    Depends

Been using 10's forever but recently tried 9 1/2's (.0095 - .44, D'Addario EXL120+) on the 52AVRI. 9's were just too slinky and 10's were too tight. Worked perfectly on that guitar. Still using 10's on everything else. (Gretsch, partscasters, strats)

9. Aen

Aen Tele-Holic

Nov 7, 2004
    Eau Claire, WI
    I voted 12's, cause I use those ernie ball "beefy slinky" which has a 54 I believe on the low E, but only an 11 on top.

My baritone is 56-13 I think. A bit floppy on that one, but cheaper than buying $40 sets of baritone strings.

10. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Holic

Apr 25, 2003
    Indiana
    guages

Using .0095". Feel like I should switch to .010 though.

11. Johnny Caster

Oct 19, 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    That's right I did forget 13's. I guess cause they're so outta leauge with my wispy little 8's. Someday I want to try 13's just see the dynamic of switching from thinnest to thickest.

!

12. niterail

niterail Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2006
    11's here.

i like the sound, and i like the feel of bigger strings under my fingers. also, i don't break strings very often!

13. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 6, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I use .010s on my Fenders, and .011s on my Gibsons. 8)

14. al3151

al3151 TDPRI Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Washington D.C.
    D'addario 10s,although I tried 9s for a while 10s always sounded and felt best.

15. Pretty Thing

Pretty Thing Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2005
    Punxsutawney PA
    Only have used standard 9s thus far on my Tele. I like the sound and playability. I bend alot, and I prefer the tones of the higher strings. I play 9s or 10s on my other 3 guitars as well.

16. SugarJ

SugarJ TDPRI Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Dallas TX
    I use 9's on my Country Twangers, 10's on my Rock Tele's, and 11 through 48 for Blues and/or when I play bottle neck.

Recently started experimenting with 10-17 on the top three strings, with 24-42 on the bottom three, i.e., the inverse of the "heavy bottom" sets that many players seem to prefer these days. The heavy bottom sets always felt out of balance to me.

With the slinky bottoms, it feels more balanced across the whole neck, and it's easier to bend on the wound strings too.

17. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    Ever since I started playing guitar I've been using 011's on my electrics & 012's on my acoustics.

Recently I went down to 010-046 sets for my electrics cause I started playing twangier stuff & the heavy wound strings of the 011-050 sets sounded muddy to my ears .

Guess what ?I like the tone & feel better than the 011's it is more even & balanced.

I still use 012's (or even 013's ) on my acoustics though.

18. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 3, 2005
    SW CR IA US NA PE
    .011's (with a .022w 3rd) are the minimum I'll use on any of my guitars. 8)

19. Roli

Roli Banned

Jun 28, 2005
    ¤ Hungary ¤
    .012s. I played acoustic exclusively for years, so I got used to the tension, and even .011s just didn't feel quite right. The only difference is the plain 3rd (.019 or .020), for easier bends.

20. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    Getting on in years, a bit of arthritis

My hands are not as strong anymore.

Used to do 12s on Gibsons, 11s on Fenders.

Now I'm just more comfortable with 10s on everything--makes buying 3 and 10 packs easy.

Lighter strings require too light a touch on the left hand for chord work, and too light a touch on the right hand to keep bass strings from rattling.

P.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.