Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What font for the 50's Fender logo?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by KokoTele, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2006
    Chester County, PA
    Sorry to be snippy, Tony. My time of the month, I suppose. I'm not trying to gloss over your profession like it's something anyone should be able to cover in an afternoon. I'm sure if it were that simple, this thread and the dozens like it would end in 3 posts with a link to "the Fender font"

2. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmm.... am I lazy? Do I just not care enough? Or is it just that nobody who really cares all that much will ever look closely at my peghead. Sorry, my guitar's peghead. I find this altered version of Brush Script quite adequate for my needs. Thank you! (BTW, when it comes to lit'ra-chur, I also be the kinda geek who looks at the font info.)

3. Musicman1

Musicman1 Tele-Meister

Jan 23, 2008
    Arkansas
    New to the forum, already got a question though.
    I have been experimenting with my first water-slide decals, what
    does one use for the gold or silver color in the letters.
    I have some cool basic black outlines, but.
    Is it an expensive printer?

Thanks
    Jason

4. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA

Ole Buckocaster51 has a neat trick for making gold or silver decals. He prints the outline decals. He then uses a gold or silver pen to color inside the lines on one decal making sure to not go outside the line .......... on the line is OK. He applies that decal then applies another decal on top of that one. Great trick. Maybe he'll see this and explain in more detail.

5. gtech

gtech Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2007
    Quebec, Canada
    You're not lazy... and I'm not either.

I used the Brush Script for my first guitar build, and a luthier had to take a closer look to realise it was not a Fender. And it was saying "GC Special" not "Fender" on the headstock. But the overall look was good for me. It still is anyway...

If I wanted it to look exactly like a Fender, I would just copy the Fender logo...

I worked in the typesetting domain in the 70s, and I also like to read about fonts.

6. varakeef

varakeef Tele-Afflicted

Sep 7, 2007
    Finland
    How is it altered? Just a bit bigger capital letters? Somehow I can't instal that on my computer, the machine says I already have that Brush Script, must remove that at first...

7. Dave Yeats

Dave Yeats Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Unpacking the Fender typeface

I just thought I'd revive this thread a bit, with some new observations.

Creating a logo for a headstock is one thing, and it can be done in a short amount of time using whatever technique one cares to use.

Creating a font, of course, is a different issue, and it involves drawing every possible character individually, and putting it together in a way that will make the spacing and alignments look natural. The font creation software I posted early in this thread allows designers to do that, but it's excessively time-consuming.

Creating a font wouldn't allow a person to type in "Fender" and get the Fender logo. As many people have noted, the Fender logo (like most other good logos) is hand-drawn and has nuances that can't be reproduced by a computer font.

I just wanted to conclude by thinking about how taking only "Fender" would enable a person to create an entire font.

The "d" is a very useful character. You can use that do work on other rounded lowercase letters: a, b, p, q, c... and the vertical part of the "d" can be useful for l, t... The "n" works for m and u. Anyway, I think someone with an eye for design could use the current limited letter set (5 letters from a set of 52 upper and lowercase) and interpret those to create a new font.

Like others have said, I'd be happy to do this if I had time. It would be a fun project. Unfortunately, this is a huge undertaking. I'd love to hear that somebody has decided to do it and is willing to give it away, though....

8. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I thought I might take a crack at it, having in mind some of the parameters you rightly point out. But our friend Tom S has already made a start on the project, which he describes in another thread. And it is for sure an immense task - I spend enough time slaving over a hot Mac for the (eventually, I hope) paying customers as it is. ;)

What's more, everyone likes something for nothing but if I'd put in all that time and effort I'd be a bit chary of distributing it for free. That's a very big ask!

9. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Mostly the lower case "e", but the are slight changes to other characters; The "F" is trimmed a little, and the "r" is a bit different. I didn't go through the whole alphabet.

Also, I have a Mac, and it let me add the font with no problem; it doesn't think it's the same as Brush Script, it goes in titled "Fender Font."

10. rosspix

rosspix NEW MEMBER!

May 1, 2008
    UK
    Hi all,

I'm new here (came via searching for "Fender font", funnily enough) and thought you might like to see the logo I came up with; made by tracing the spaghetti logo in a graphics program.

OK, it's not on a tele - but it's close enough:

[​IMG]

Other images (close-ups etc.) are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/rossedwards

I was going to use water-slide decals, but came across some "dry-rub" transfer paper, which worked brilliantly. The gold colouring was simply a metallic gold marker pen.

If anyone's interested, I still have the graphic files available (.svg and GIMP .xcf formats).

Cheers,

Ross.

11. cknowles

cknowles Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2007
    Mount Hope, Ontario, Canada
    Cool, Thanks for the link.
    I was a dismal failure at getting the Detail Master laser jet water slide decals to work. I finally threw the package away, I was so discouraged.

This dry transfer looks like it's worth a try.

My other options for my Tele head stock logo are painting it by hand, or doing a Mother of Pearl inlay like I did on my Faux Paul.

Chris

12. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    First of all, welcome aboard and enjoy the forum!

Your pic rang an immediate bell, because over 20 years ago I worked with a guy who had a Tele copy on which he'd hand-painted a "Faker" logo in the appropriate style. I was about to say something about great minds thinking alike, but, while yours is obviously first-class, I'm not so sure about his...;)

13. catguy

catguy TDPRI Member

Jul 10, 2007
    High Level, Alberta, Canada
    lots of info here

WOW!! this is sure one crazy thread but a very good read none the less, and very informative to, think I'll just make something and see how it turns out, thanks for all the great info :lol:

"If a cat spoke, it would say things like, 'Hey, I don't see the problem here.'" Roy Blount, Jr.

14. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    Lots of great info, but no need to resurrect the thread. This one can live in the archives. Closed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.