Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What Exactly is Roasted Maple?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Paul in Colorado, Jan 15, 2018.

1. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    OK, how about the instrument has less dampening and more sustain. It is not a lot like I said, just another flavor in your spice rack to pull out when desired. I like it more for the stability and the looks it imparts on the wood.

2. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

My local hardwood store has roasted poplar that folks are using for decking due to the weatherproof factor the roasting process imparts, along with significantly increasing hardness. If been wanting to try some in a laminated neck.

RomanS likes this.

3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    How is the hardness of baked maple?

4. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    It might be slightly harder than unfinished maple, but it will still dent fairly easily. It is vastly different than the hardness of thick poly coats if that helps answer your question. Personally I don't worry about the denting. It feels great unfinished IMHO and worth it for that reason alone.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Do folks still finish roasted maple? What about on the fretboard?

6. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I think that people do and that you can finish one anyway you want. I also think that it defeats one of the two biggest advantages, one being the feel of a raw maple (one piece, if desired) neck. That along with the stability are the two biggest advantages that I see. I also think that you will get a better sounding instrument because of the accelerated aging effect, but that isn't worth arguing about IMHO.

BTW, if you are into the aesthetics of a worn instrument, raw roasting can add to that look very well. The oil on your fingers and palm will discolor the wood over time. It can also burnish the surface slightly to make it a little harder. Probably still able to be dented easily enough, but maybe a little better at resisting dents.

7. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    I didn't put any finish on mine - not on the fretboard, either. After the first year of playing (this is my most-played guitar), there is a tiny bit of grime visible in the most played spots on the board - I'm going to see whether this wipes off the next time I change strings...

8. double_a

double_a TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Toronto
    Mine is not finished. I like it like that.

9. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I finished mine normally as I would any one-piece maple neck.

10. guitar0621

guitar0621 Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    USA
    You could probably nitro everything but the back of the neck and get a very nice final result. The unfinished roasted back of the neck looks like a piece of lightly oiled furniture or something once your hand has oiled/sweated it up. It's the smoothest thing ever. Kind of contrasts with the bare parts, though.

Also I think the unfinished wood gets a little darker on its own, just with time.

11. guitar0621

guitar0621 Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    USA
    The best description I heard of the smell is "burnt waffles". It does go away after a little while but if you sand it later that bit will give it off again.

12. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    I finished my roasted maple neck with thick, glassy nitro. It looks good and plays really nice. I haven't noticed any reduction in dent resistance; if anything, I think it's more dense and harder than uncooked maple.

13. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Oh man, that made me laugh, damn spell checker!

Les Paul lover likes this.

14. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I think that's where some difference exist between terrified ;) and baked/roasted. The baked stuff I've found it brittle when it's over done (a really dark brown) The torrified stuff IMO wasn't as brittle and did not chip/splinter nearly as easily as the home roasted/baked stuff. I think for the roasting/baking there's a line where it goes from good to bad in terms of quality.
    clearly a pile of ash at the bottom of your oven is a sign you've gone too far. :lol:

Les Paul lover likes this.

15. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    I had a Les Paul with a baked maple fingerboard....I liked it very much. It was extremely hard and stable, and felt very much like ebony.

[​IMG]

16. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    Gunstock oil on mine. Keeps it clean, but still feels raw. Just one thin coat, wiped on and then wiped off immediately.

DrASATele likes this.

17. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Me too, on this.
    I do like a thicker finish so shellac (usually a light garnet) and a few coats of Tru Oil.
    On a very lightly roasted neck (just a hint of color) I'll do an amber coat of shellac, then a garnet coat of shellac followed by the TO for a more vintage look. Doing this on a roasted figured neck I've gotten some serious pop.

side note: you can do the shellac and give it a traditional lacquer finish to and that's pretty sweet as well.

18. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Here's a thought. . . if YOU like roasted wood, why not just use roasted wood, for no other reason than you like roasted wood... that's perfectly OK, and hard to argue against.... But don't try to support your contention that roasted wood is BETTER... it's not... it can only be better for YOU.... so go for it.... just don't prosthelytize that your choice is superior to someone else's.

Plain wood has proven over the past few hundred years that it works jUuuuusssssttt fine... It's probably gonna continue to do so...

and if you don't like roasted wood.. try this.. don't use roasted wood... its that simple, but don't prosthelytize that those the DO use roasted wood are going to guitar makin' hell... for beein' a traditional guitar apostate.

Remember, it sez in the Book of Leo, 1:1 (FV), "In the beginning there was wood, and the Leo moved his hand upon the wood, and said, "Let there be twang. And the Leo saw that it was good, it was darn good" It does NOT say, "In the beginning there was ROASTED wood. . ." :p

Fact is there's a hellova lot more great guitar music that's been played on plain old non roasted wood then there will be played on cooked wood, and that will continue well beyond a time when we're all dead.... so.. what's the big fu**in' deal anyway....

Know what I say when someone says they want a roasted maple neck.. I say, "OK".. and we move on to another feature... If they ask me what I think about roasted wood, I tell 'em, I think it's OK... and move on to the next spec.. :D

thus get what ya want, and don't think someone that isn't following your trail is less of a whatever than you are. . . what you like doesn't mean jack to anyone but you.. and that's fine, that's actually the way it should be.. Now, if you stumble across some information that has bearing on an Extinction Level Event, then perhaps ya might wanna share that... :eek:

Fact is, if stability and all that bunk was really important for guys, they would all be getting graphite necks.... you aren't getting much more stable than that... but NoOooOOooo .. . they want some connection with traditional, so they want wood, it doesn't matter to 'em the words "roasted anything" and "vintage" does not collide in any description of anything made prior to around the year 2000 . .

It's not the wood that's good, It's the twang.... and twang happens roasted wood, or not....

rk

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Thin69, Davecam48 and double_a like this.

19. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Would you like fries with your roasted wood?

Thanks Ron!

DC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.