Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What does your workbench look like?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Lonn, Jan 18, 2018.

1. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I spend a lot of time standing at this end of the bench. There's a window to the far left and next to that my pellet stove.
    IMG_5573.JPG

I tend to stack tools, bodies, wood and everything else down this end, as you can see.
    IMG_5572.JPG

In the center of the room is craftsman table/cabinet saw, that too becomes the bench, when this bench is to packed.

I just cleaned the bench up last night so I'll start building new piles and messes over the weekend!

Barncaster, 24 track, moosie and 2 others like this.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Here’s a dirty workbench where I rout and hand cut stuff, in this case some rotted antique corbels.
    Image1517605672.686953.jpg

Later they go to another workbench for glue up.
    Image1517605874.691258.jpg

Barncaster likes this.

3. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Here they are with pvc top and back added, ready to paint and attach to a building. This bench goes outdoors or on the roof of my wagon for on site assembling.

Image1517608211.514332.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018

4. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Here’s the workbench I generally use the router at because it’s a dirty dusty space.
    Of course the JM pup rout template visited the drill press workbench and the table saw workbench before coming to rest on the dusty bench.
    While the template does not need corner radius, the actual JM pup covers have IIRC a 1/4" corner radius, while my top bearing router bit is 3/4" diameter with 3/8" radius.
    Meaning I have neither enough tools nor enough workbenches.
    Image1517689949.563155.jpg

The miter saw here sits on a portable workbench I made 17 Year’s ago for site work, generally with needed hand tools in the lower shelf carried in without the saw on top.

On the left is a newfangled tool known as a shop vac.
    One day I have to learn to use that one!
    Image1517690204.262884.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    DrASATele and 24 track like this.

5. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I’ve been inspired by some of the tidy benches pictured in this thread and did a bit of rearranging to my guitar bench in the darkroom.
    One thing that’s important is having convenient access to tools, so I made some space for my strobotuner.
    Still a mess but I’m trying!

If I cleared out some darkroom stuff it could be a better guitar bench, but I’m not yet ready to break down that gear. One timer runs the enlarger and the other is to keep track of fixer times.

Image1517944846.334718.jpg

24 track likes this.

6. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    At this workbench today.
    Hard to keep it cleaned off!
    ! Image1518117405.021757.jpg

jvin248, 24 track and Arch Stanton like this.

7. BryanLB

BryanLB TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Ontario
    Kitchen table, tolerated by wife.

IMG_0049.JPG

8. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    excellent work on the restore you did alot of time on the details , kudos!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    telemnemonics likes this.

9. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I get inspired when I see how others approach a common problem, thanks everyone for posting , its not a matter of hitting the like button to say i appreciate the sharing of ideas but I like some of the approaches taken , again thanks!

Andy B and telemnemonics like this.

10. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I'm fascinated by the sometimes crazy range of solutions different people come up with when fixing modding and building stuff, and also love old hand made tools or oddly repaired tools.

Workbenches might be a window into the craftsperson that sets up and uses them.
    I seem to have some gaps in my ability to plan such setups, and can get ideas and inspiration from workbench pics here.
    I come from a hoarding background and have to deal with the inclination to let stuff pile up. I guess I'm also cheap and could do better with some store bought drawers and shelving.

I want to set up a pickup winder too, but am running below flat broke so it will have to wait. Lots of dead pups waiting in line...
    Pickups are the heart of the electric guitar.
    I need to be able to wind them...

Piggy Stu and 24 track like this.

11. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    for me I love to recycle things for their unintended purpose before I have to go and buy them new every thing from a ball jointed set of alligator clips for holding a soldering project from a broken convex mirror for a truck to building an amp holder while doing repairs from left over melamine and a drawer glide,
    I really get inspired when I see some one use their brilliance to fix and /or repair something that would normally be tossed due to age and weather like your repair

and I cant say how cool it is to see some of the guitar builds from scratch they rock!

Piggy Stu and telemnemonics like this.

12. telechadster

telechadster Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2010
    Vancouver
    I’m just about finished my first workbench for my new workshop. Router plate insert (router not attatched yet) and I’ll have a wood vice off the nearest end. Plywood top, finished with shellac...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    24 track and LeftFinger like this.

13. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    That top's too pretty for a work shop :eek:

telemnemonics and 24 track like this.

14. telechadster

telechadster Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2010
    Vancouver
    Haha, agreed!!
    Luckily the top was suspiciously on sale so the entire sheet of plywood was $40, this is about 2/3s of a sheet.

15. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Inside bench
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Out in the shop benches
    [​IMG]

A lot of work happens on the down draft table just because of the rubber surface
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    I came across pictures of my workbench at Elite Sound before I retired. I thought I would post them as a comparison to my current workbench shown in post #69.

DSCN0075.JPG

DSCN2738.JPG

telemnemonics, 24 track and moosie like this.

17. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Where u ben James?

24 track likes this.

18. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Right here, repairing and building. Been really busy. I'll be venturing into steel and aluminum body tele's soon, looking forward to that.

Barncaster, DrASATele and 24 track like this.

19. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Post ‘em?

20. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Is that the ESP you built in that picture right above?

What's that acoustic looking project all about? Got me curious.

EDIT: Ignore the first question. Was just looking at that thread again. :D Very inspiring though. You don't mind if I "borrow" your neck thru/large tenon type caper? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.