Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What does your workbench look like?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Lonn, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I've pieced together tons of guitars over the years and used a variety of desks/benches but never built one specifically for that kind of work. I'm thinking to do just that. I enjoy working guitars far ore than playing and I've got a room i the basement that's pretty much dedicated as my work area other than the ginormous treadmill in there are huge mirrors on the wall. The previous owner used it as a gym. Right now I'm using a hand-me-down desk that my youngest daughter no longer wanted. It works but I hate it. I want something taller with storage underneath, maybe a long drawer. Definitely a light the length of the top. I also use one of those round lighted magnifying glasses on an arm. Small vice on one end. You get the idea. If anyone is familiar with Xhefri of Strat Plus fame, I was on his site the other day and seeing his workbench pushed me over the edge lol. Sort of a mishmash of these two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I have a maple topped bench I built that is about 20 x 36 and about 4" higher than normal( for taller folk) I wanted to be able to walk all around it. That is because some tasks require tackling it from different angles.

tewiq likes this.

3. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

Feb 21, 2013
    Galesburg, MI
    I made some like this (another small one not pictured).

[​IMG]

And arranged them like this:

[​IMG]

It's a mess right now, I need to organize it. My plan is to put my drill press on the stand that the air filter is currently on and my lathe on the stand next to it. I stand in the middle and use the peninsula bench most of the time.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    20180118_191531.jpg 20180118_193853.jpg

I do my guitar and amp tech stuff on the workbench above. The left side is lightly built in one hour, from scrap. It's ledgered to the wall, and is very stable. The shelves are fluid, but they've been in this configuration for a few years now.

The right side is a Pennsylvania House cherry hutch I inherited when my Dad moved to Florida. I built a matching top that slips over, to protect the cherry top. I love the storage this hutch provides.

The bench topper is 1/8" hardboard, which I like for it's smoothness, plus it's inexpensive to replace when it gets too messed up. Amp work is done on the hardboard, and for guitars, I lay down a big sheet of industrial pressed wool felt, to protect the guitar from scratching bits of metal.

Tool placement is perfect for easy access, but imperfect because tools are continually passing over guitar bodies. I'm planning to build a few drawers down the left side, under the bench, and one wide drawer under the bench top. I'll keep a lot of my oft-needed files and whatnot in this drawer. Screwdrivers, pliers and such will probably still be mounted handles-up, as they are now, but in a smaller standalone block, on the bench, in between the two work areas. No more dropping tools on guitar tops.

The other change I'm planning is some kind of peninsula jutting out between the two work spaces. It'll be no more than a foot wide, and will give easy access to both sides of an instrument, as well as more working area. I tend to keep my bench tops clear of clutter, but this one will be even more so. It will always be a clean, safe, padded place to set a guitar. I just haven't decided if it'll be a full table, like the one @lbridenstine shows above, or a cantilivered, break-down thing, similar to StewMac's "body board":

StewMac_Body_Board (1).jpg StewMac_Body_Board.jpg

For rougher work, I have a heavy duty bench in my garage wood shop. Smooth, flat top with little to no deflection. Great for assembly, glue ups, planing, scraping, sanding, etc. The drawer is just like the one I'm planning for the lightweight bench. As you can see from the car, it's an unheated space, and pretty much mothballed during the winter months. It's still evolving, but I've got plenty of light, some wood storage, the bench and tool area on the nearby wall, drill press, home built router cabinet, table saw, band saw, spindle sander.... No jointer or planer yet. Dust collection is me moving my shop vac around from machine to machine.

20180118_193735.jpg

5. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    A rare view of my bench, you can actually see parts of the top!

Bench.JPG

LeftyAl, 24 track, bingy and 4 others like this.

6. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Moosie and I are on the same page. That left side area is what I'm aiming for.

moosie likes this.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I have seven or eight workbenches, and none are clear or clean.
    Some do get all cleaned off for a project though.
    The drill press bench is 8' long wood top steel attached to the wall. Oily too, must use clean wood add on tables for drilling clean wood.
    It's right next to a '56 Chevy so there's some competition between languishing projects.
    The guitar bench is actually a film darkroom counter, but I put two milk crates with a sheet of plywood and carpet so the guitar is up at 46", plus there's another small surface at 60" for soldering really small stuff with mag goggles. Pickups in ziploc bags hang from print drying clips.
    My back and neck are shot and standing up straight gets more minutes of function.
    I'm surprised I don't damage bodies and necks that sit waiting for a GAS attack.

Upstairs there's a routing and hand tool dust making bench next to the router table. There is wood debris around it from two years ago, like an old birds nest.

The kitchen table always absorbs some overflow, and marriage counseling might be in order. Seriously.
    Most small tools I actually use, I probably have at least five of them, so there's one or two in every work area, but that tends to result in tools covering much of workbench space.
    The bicycle bench is easily a foot deep, but it is connected to a fuel system bench so carburetor parts snuggle with 9 speed titanium freehub clusters.

Time to get rid of some stuff...

LeftyAl and kingmlg like this.

8. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Wow, that would drive me nuts. :)

telemnemonics likes this.

9. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    At the moment, like this.

fullsizeoutput_179.jpeg

10. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Meister

Nov 26, 2005
    My workbench is my dining room table. This was from awhile back when I was gluing some square dowels in my Gretsch 5120 to install Filtertrons. Lots of projects-in-progress here, they're all done now. Note blood pressure machine.

table.jpg

11. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    In answer to the OP - a total freaking mess! :D

Meant to take a picture earlier today, but got busy and forgot. :rolleyes:

I_build_my_own likes this.

12. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Dude! I don't feel so bad now! :D :rolleyes:

13. Dan The Man

Dan The Man Tele-Meister

Jun 20, 2006
    Bedfordshire, UK
    I'd love to have the space for some of these workbenches.....one day ;):)

14. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Arkansas
    I have none cause Everytime I try, it gets loaded with crap before I can finish it. I think I need to build shelves for crap first.

Steve Holt likes this.

15. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

16. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    This looks better set up than the workbench Leo Fender was working at the end of his life in that picture that keeps appearing

telemnemonics and moosie like this.

17. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2003
    Canada
    Right now it looks like a bomb went off in a hoarder's house you see on A&E.

Thanks for reminding me I need to get around to cleaning it up. I come here to escape what I should be doing.

EDIT: I'll try get a photo this weekend after the marathon cleanup.

Steveinthesticks likes this.

18. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Meister

Nov 26, 2005
    Speaking of hoarding, I've found the 2001 calendar works fine for 2018. A couple swipes with a magic marker and viola! - relive that wonderful year all over again!

Just don't go to those marked doctor's appointments by mistake.

moosie likes this.

19. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Where there's a will, there's a way. :)

I have a whole house to live in, with my wife, but thanks to a chronic illness, I cope better in two rooms (around 225 sq ft), not counting bathroom and kitchen.

The outer room contains 15+ guitars in hard cases, a twin bed, recliner, wooden rocker, armoire (there's no closet), TV, floor-to-ceiling bookshelves, a few large houseplants, and a cart crammed full of office supplies, and printer. This is where I sleep, eat dinner (mostly), relax in front of the TV, and read. Also, three times per month, I set up a card table as a medical workstation, and a nurse comes and gives me a day-long infusion in the comfy chair. It's a bit cramped, but I make it work by sliding the recliner two feet back and forth each day, to make room to get in and out of bed.

The inner room hosts my desk and computer, more bookshelves, permanent pedalboard, bunch of guitar stands, stacks of amps, more houseplants, and my workbench. I play guitar seated by the pedalboard, near the computer.

The wood shop workbench is out in the two-car garage. My wife parks on one side, and I now park outside in the warmer months, so I can make sawdust. Everything I do out there is planned with space considerations foremost. I put off building the shop out there for THIRTY YEARS, because it's not enough space. Last year I said "enough", and now I'm having a blast, making up for all that lost time.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Newbcaster and telemnemonics like this.

20. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Imagine a dumpster fire with a guitar and parts lying around amidst it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.