Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What do you wear on stage??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rjtwangs, Oct 23, 2017.

1. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    George Jones
    gj.jpg

How sharp dressed are YOU???

RJ

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    elKZacha, stinkey and tery like this.

2. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    In my opinion, what a performer wears on stage just needs to be authentic as to who they are in life.

For me, that means worn out blue jeans with real holes, a 20 year old T-shirt, boots or All-Stars, and a Longhorns ball cap, probably backwards.

I don’t generally “dress up” for the kind of gigs I’ve played. Though I was in a band several years ago that played a lot of 80s pop for high level corporate parties... and I did dress nice for those... slacks and a tucked in dress shirt and black dress shoes.

3. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I thought that pic was Jim Carrey at first. Hilarious.

mitchfinck, faulp and orangeblossom like this.

4. tonyv77

tonyv77 Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Dress for the gig. Starting listening to some interviews/podcasts with guys who make actual money (a living even) playing music. Their #1 or #2 piece of advice: Dress for the gig (whatever vibe the artist or band is going for). My advice: No shorts unless your shirtless ala RHCP, dress like you tried and tan pants will stick out when everyone else wears black. temp.jpg

daddyplaysbass likes this.

5. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Tan pants, hawaiian or bowling shirt, sunglasses, blooze hat, either flip flops and socks, cowboy boots or chucks with a nice belt where i clip my cell phone.

Black jeans, black t-shirt and white dad sneakers also are doable.

Tip for the more portly players - shaving your head and growing a goatee will make you look like a ripped bad ass!

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    My mantra is "WWAEW"? That is, what would Alejandro Escovedo wear? That man always looks tight without being crazy. Nels Cline and Pat Sansone in Wilco are also a nice model for how to be a bit "stage dressed and trendy" without being over-the-top.

I've probably gotten dressier on stage over time. Fitted black T shirt with dark jeans or trim "chinos" (red, slate blue or charcoal - sorry, not khaki color) if it's a really hot room. Otherwise, long-sleeve button up shirt. Trim spot-coat or funky coat that inevitably comes off pretty quickly. Usually a nice dress shoe or dress boot. But sometimes high-top Chuck's make a nice contrast if I'm in a "suit".

dr_tom and ravindave_3600 like this.

7. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Man, you better be able to bring it if you're wearing matching boots and a suit - especially in that color!

Stubee, tery and JimInMO like this.

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I try to look a little better then the audience. Someone once told me that if the audience can't tell that you're in the band when you're sitting at the bar, you're doing it wrong.

Bands that dress like they just got done washing the car don't do much for me.

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    That's about as great as ol' George ever looked and it appears to be right after this lady started telling him to ditch the brush cuts :

[​IMG]

KyAnne likes this.

10. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Exactly that with an Antigua Tele.

11. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2006
    NJ
    Depends what it pays. One might pay nothing, one might pay a lot!

Marc Muller Music 2nd life bikes.JPG

grammies.jpg

12. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

Jeans, boots, a shirt that's loud but not too loud. Just enough to set myself apart from the crowd.

I play with a couple of tribute bands that do corporate gigs, and I end up going with a full suit for those.

- D

13. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Jeans and a paisley pattern shirt.

14. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Hank Snow and his band were sharp dressers .

15. cyclopean

cyclopean Tele-Afflicted

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    dress like you're in motorhead.

Anode100 likes this.

16. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    Dress like a musician. There's should be no question you're on the gig. That means dressing better than the crowd.

17. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Back when I did a 70's rock tribute show the whole band tried to be authentic as possible. Grew our hair out (no wigs!), got in shape and wore clothes that felt right for that era. We also used period correct gear (which explains Troy's Vistalite kit!).

To me a concert is a show and I like to be entertained visually as well as aurally, so that's how I vote.

Live it!
    Steve ALIVE!.jpg

studio1087, Stubee, drlucky and 6 others like this.

18. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

And it worked. You look famous.

I try to dress better than the audience as a courtesy at least. They are paying me usually.

It's in line with having cables you need and being on time for sound check.

You don't play for people looking like a slob unless that's the kind of show you're playing.

I try to wear nice shoes, nice fitting pants that flatter me rather than make me look like I just got done golfing in the 90s. I wear button up shirts most of the time or plain black V neck t shirts. I like silk/cotton and floral prints for visual stimulation and breathability.

I will wear a tweed jacket/fancy sweater if it's chilly over a sweatshirt/hoodie.

I am not into the 90s "let's just play in our work clothes from Food Lion" thing. Honest? Maybe. Lazy? Probably. Unprofessional? Definitely.

19. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Nice! Maybe it's because KISS was my first interest. Then came Van Halen and they dressed up their own way as well. The grunge thing didn't appeal to me dress-wise but to each his own.

songtalk likes this.

20. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Plenty of amazing music played by people dressed like they just rolled out of bed. It's all good, just not for me at this stage.

I'll get back to you in 30 years and we'll see how I feel :D

Steve Ouimette likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.