What do you think of those who use local music stores as demo stations?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Apr 14, 2019.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I've done this. It's not right, but I've done this.

And you're not using the term "person' loosely; these are people, like the rest of us. Nobody can claim to be righteous aside from those who have been made righteous, and not by their own doing.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I would add that I cannot foresee ever buying a guitar over the internet. My limited experience with buying things over the net has not been all that successful. After the few times I've been disappointed by internet transactions, I only buy things that are cheap enough that if I don't like it, I can pedal it locally for the same price or minimal loss. Those items are generally golf items. My experience with a dealer and a five string banjo was quite enough of buying an instrument over the net. I came out alright on that deal, because I acted quickly and filed and insurance claim with the shipper before the dealer did. I'm not sure that option is available anymore. The dealer was pissed that I filed a claim. He called me and told me so. I told him I didn't think it was a good idea for him to have my money, the banjo, and the insurance money.

Route67 likes this.
  3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I have the right to think that someone that classless isn't much of a person, and you have the right to not agree with me.

4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I have, on occasion, used Guitar Center as a demo station, and then bought at a Mom-and-Pop or online.

I feel no qualms screwing GC over, since they drove several of my favorite M&P shops out of business.

The only time I’d leave a M&P and buy online is if (1) their customer service sucked or (2) the price differential was so great that I couldn’t afford the item otherwise.

StrangerNY likes this.
  5. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We have one around here with about 6 Squiers and 4 Epiphones that have been "on sale" (maybe 5-10% off MSRP) for a year or more, with these kind of signs all over the place.

[​IMG]

6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Meister

I see lots of stuff arrive on my stages and subsequently get a prime demonstration of how it works. Stuff I like, I order online. The nearest affordable music store is a 1.5 hour drive.

Personally, I do not see this as a retail problem, but a fail on the distributors part. Wholesale prices should be such that the mom & pop stores can compete with the internet. A good business model for wholesalers includes provisions for your customers, and ultimately yourself, to succeed. Until the brick & mortar store can compete with the web, it will only get worse.

Route67, Marc Morfei and DougM like this.
  7. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This is not my experience. Even with a CNC there are acceptable tolerances. And each piece of wood is different.

I started playing right around the rise of online sales. I embraced that and the return policy heavily. In retrospect I kept no guitars that I hadn’t tried in hand. And I can’t imagine buying without touching again.

**Edit - to make it less subjective, I would use sites like Wildwood that list weight, neck depth and 1st and 12th, and nut with measurements. They tend to have 5-10 of each make of guitar and the actual unit measurements vary from each other and from spec.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Teleterr and DougM like this.
  8. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I prefer to buy used instruments, wherever possible. They're broken in, upgraded- and the former owner(s) have taken the depreciation hit. I don't usually want to drive more than 40-50 miles and I don't want to mess around with postage.

I like to have a relationship with all of my local dealers and buy picks, strings, capos and so on, every time I drop by. Usually there's someone behind the counter who knows what I like and will recommend something Telecasterish, with a fat neck, as I walk through the door;-) I've bought instruments from each of my local stores, within the last couple of years. Supporting the musician community is important to me, so I meet a lot of these folk at charity events and such.

I buy things on the internet, that local stores can't or won't stock. The population around here is fairly sparse and some of my choices would not be completely mainstream, so I can understand why I can't always demo stuff, on my doorstep. This is my third choice, though. I like to support local commerce, because the further collapse of regional infrastructure is something I have no wish to encourage.

Most local stores are trying to match internet prices, when they can- despite the overheads of keeping a bricks and mortar shop open. I don't need to buy so much stuff- consumables and the occasional stray from my bucket list- and in retirement, my discretional spending budget is limited. I like having local music stores....and there's only one way to help keep them around. It's a balancing act- but one which I approach fairly systematically. If you already have too much stuff...you can afford to be patient. :lol:

Route67, DougM and P Thought like this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Over forty years ago, I worked at Montgomery Ward selling electronics. When VCRs were a brand new thing, a lot of people came in wanting to be "schooled" on them. As commissioned salespeople, we might spend thirty or more minutes giving comprehensive instructions on them, only to have the "customer" leave and never return. (likely went to another store, armed with the information we gave them) We could even sometimes watch them going out to their car and driving across the street to a "catalogue" store, probably saving twenty or thirty dollars without any customer service. It was frustrating, unfair (to us) and helped lead to the demise of brick and mortar stores. (this was LONG before internet sales)

Route67, DougM, flathd and 2 others like this.
  10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

If music stores are “demo stations” they are lousy ones. Sometimes noisy enough that subjecting people to even one more blaring guitar would be cruel. Besides, GC has a very reasonable return policy. If I try a pedal at a store (and I have) and take a sales persons time, you bet they deserve the sale!

I often do the exact opposite as the OPs TGP subject, many times. I look at demos online and order it (often used, at a great value) to be picked up at my local store.

In stores demos only get you so close anyway. If you can even hear it, its not your rig, its not at volume, and, for me, it is awkward to play in that environment and I worked at music store for 9 years.

I bought an Epi 339 Pro in Korea. I looked found it online at a reasonable price but I wanted to play the one I would buy. I found one in a shop at the famous Nakwon Music Mall. The owner was super respectful and did not try to pressure me at all. I paid only slightly more than an online purchase. The man had spent the time and overhead on a shop to serve his customers in person.

DougM and nojazzhere like this.
  11. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have no problem with using a music store to demo items before making the purchase. I also believe in supporting the Mom and Pop shops as well. However, if I ask them to match the online price and they say they cant. Im buying online. We each know our own financial situation, I personally am more concerned with my own budget. And besides, capitalism can be a ruthless bast(ard), survival of the fittest and all that.

12. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

What I have found with music stores in my area (Sacramento Ca.) not much to be found, there are two GC and their inventory is just shrinking each time I go in. Then the other few shops I just don't care for them for multiple reasons. The few times I've bought a guitar I have to sit down and play it I don't care where I buy I hit every music shop I can, can't do that on the internet. Not just talking about music stores I really like good service and will drive out of my way to buy from them. But honestly I buy all kinds of stuff on line you can find most stuff at a better price being able to return something they have made very easy. I've also looked and stuff at stores then bought it on line. It's just a sing of the times things change wonder what's next?

13. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Local shops will not order anything, not even if I pay them. On the other hand, their selection is not that bad. Not amazing either, but I've bought several guitars that are not super common.

14. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Meister

There was a guy who belongs to one of the elite bluegrass bands now, used to come in the local music shop alot on his lunch break. They had a brand new CF Martin vintage series guitar come in and he would absolutely play the strings off this thing. This went on for about a month, until the shop owner finally noticed the wear on the guitar. Scratches scuffs all over the front off it. She confronted him about it , he got mad never came back. She had to sell the guitar at a reduced price.

Route67, DougM and nojazzhere like this.
  15. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Story of My Life

16. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

Most stores do a very poor job of the sales process, if they understood sales or possibly used some sales training they could rescue some of the sales lost to online retailers. Now some people are just lookers and tire kickers, that goes with the territory of opening a store and inviting people in. A well educated salesperson could close some of the deals with customers that were planning on buying online.

Flaneur likes this.
  17. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Every "mom & pop" music store in the Portland metro area sells new gear at the exact same price as GC. One "mom & pop" store has one of the largest pedal selections in the Pacific Northwest. I frequent several small stores & make major purchases from them. They all let me try out gear anytime, no questions, no hassles. I am on a first name basis with most of the owners & managers.

P Thought and DougM like this.
  18. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The end game these people are playing is that it puts the business out of business and it will happen to mom-n-Pop shops as well as the big ones.

I saw this with retail consumer electronics shops. 20+ years ago, I worked for a big chain in Canada called A&B Sound. People showroomed at A&B and bought online. There is no A&B Sound anymore. Same thing happened to Future Shop which was owned by Best Buy. When A&B was gone, people continued to showroom at Future Shop. In order to survive Best Buy cut half of their operations in Canada by dropping the Future Shop brand. Sears, gone. Radio Shack, gone. The Bay, on its way out.

Eventually there will only be online as the trend continues. It’s a sad reality for anyone who wants to shop in a store.

Route67, DougM and nojazzhere like this.
  19. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

At some point every state will start charging hefty sales tax on online purchases rendering the benefits far less valuable. I don't like that, but it is coming. I have purchased local and online, depends on if you can find the item local or not. I am a big fan of Godin guiitars and they just are not found in the local stores so they are online buys and I have tried out gear local only to buy online a few times because I can find the item used online rather than buying new local. On some items (Godin is a good example) the depreciation is huge and buying used can get you a real bargain.

So yes, I have tested gear local only to buy it online, but I always buy other stuff while I was there (cables, picks, etc.) so they get something back for letting me test out gear.

20. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I try to not do that. If nothing else I'll end up buying strings or a shirt or something if I'm at GC My local store carries pretty much anything I want anyway and they take pretty good care of me

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.