Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What Do You Think of the New Boss Katana Amps?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Grandy, Sep 13, 2016.

1. eichaan

eichaan Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Last week I sold my Mustang III v2 to a bandmate and got a Katana 50; after hurting my back again a couple of months ago, the Fender was too heavy to carry to and from band practice.

I like the Katana a lot--I took it to band practice for the first time last night and found I could basically just use one tone with my Tele (most playing at about half volume on the guitar, then dimed for solos). The band is a rotating cast, but yesterday was me on electric, 2 acoustics and a bassist.

I'd spent some time trying to dial in some progressively louder and dirtier tones, but found that I could do everything I need with just one sound. I really like how long the amp sustains notes. Oh, and I used the octave setting on one song to play "faux" bass.

For what it's worth, I stayed on the 25 watt setting all night (the drummer wasn't there), and felt that there was definitely volume to spare if I needed it.

Love the light weight, for sure!

2. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    This fall I bought the 15W Monoprice tube amp (= Laney Cub 12r). It sounds good with pedals -- my favorite is an Xotic SL Drive pushed by a Centaur clone -- but to get a nice clean tone I need to crank up the volume to around 11 o'clock. That sounds pretty nice, but it means the whole house has to hear what I'm playing.

A modeler like the Katana or Mustang seems like the solution. The Katana is getting more consistently good reviews than the new Mustang. Next month I'll drive to Raleigh and see if one of the big stores -- Sam Ash or Guitar Center -- has both amps to try. Even so, there's a question that I'm not sure time at the store will answer. Namely: can the Katana 100 play pleasingly at bedroom levels? There's no way I'll ever need 100 of anything amp-related. But the 100 has some features I want that the 50 lacks. My main concern is whether the 100 will do what I really want, which is sound nice at bedroom levels.

3. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Yes it will.

soulman969 and dswo like this.

4. kyljoy

kyljoy TDPRI Member

Jun 12, 2017
    US
    I got the head for bedroom volume, and that little speaker is freaking perfect for that. Great amp.

7171551 likes this.

5. GLvourot

GLvourot NEW MEMBER!

May 13, 2017
    Canada
    I was able to rent a used Katana 100W combo for a month. Had to try it due to all the good reviews. I spent the first day A/B ing it with my SCXD. It's going to be a tough decision. I think I have had the Fender for 8 years or so and I have upgraded it with a Celestion G10 vintage and tung sol tubes. I kind of rediscovered how good the SCXD sounds in the process. Part of that could be that I a have ton of great settings for the super champ and am still looking for that sweet spot on the Katana. I have loaded the "sneaky amps " and found a great lead tone this morning. I'm still on the fence. I also have a THR 10 which sounds great and that is the amp I use the most as it is just so easy to grab and setup anywhere. There is a great library of " filter mods " that makes it sound even better but it negates the use of the onboard delay. I suppose the same procedure could be used with the Katana but it would take a lot of tweaking. The only all tube amp I have owned was a Fender pro junior that only sounded great really loud. I traded it for the THR10. My main guitar is an 86 G&L ASAT and it gets noisy on the bridge with high gain settings. I had to haul out my SG and I need to keep the guitar volume down between three and four or it's noisy too on the bridge. It does sound really good through the Katana though. Anyway, I have a month to decide. Lots of exploring yet to do.

6. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    I bought a Katana 50 to use for the Bass and Drum feed, from my Digitech Trio pedal. The past wo months, I have been using it for guitar. Should a couple of my tube amps fail, I would probably replace them with another Katana.

7. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

About the power settings - the 0.5w is basically a term of art. It behaves more like the volume of a 10 to 30-watt solid state combo at that setting. It is NOT comparable to what a 1/2 watt or 1 watt setting on a tube amp would do, which would be to overdrive very easily. The gain structure behaves the same it does on the 50w or 100w setting, only the power is scaled down to a fraction - just not 1/200 of the 100w setting, as the name would suggest.

Unless the price difference is a hugely prohibitive factor for you, I do strongly recommend the Katana 100. I end up using the 0.5w setting quite a bit (50w sometimes, but volumes set pretty low), and it sounds quite good at those volumes. It's a great pedal platform, and the FX loop and line out are nice options to have as well.

dswo likes this.

8. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Holic

Dec 28, 2007
    Australia
    I ended up with a katana 100, really loving this amp. The sneaky amps were a must though for me and made it sound but that could be because i mainly used the prebuilt channels before the speaker was fully broken in and have been using the sneakys with the speaker broken in. This thing is loud too and seems to manage to still sound good at higher volume levels. It may not sound and respond exactly like a tube amp but it's not a tube amp and it sure sounds good to me.

9. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

here's a question, can you re-assign the effects to be something other than what is designated on the amp? for example, the first effect in the chain is distortion/od or whatever. can that instead be a modulation effect like delay? or can the 2nd effect, which is delay, can that be designated as a reverb ?

10. Michel347

Michel347 Tele-Meister

Nov 9, 2011
    Montreal
    You can do some of it with the Boss Tone Studio, but there is another editor you can use that is able to do this, you can place everything is the order you want.

[​IMG]

With the latest Boss software revision there is still some bugs with this editor, but all will be fixed pretty soon.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.