Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What Do You Think of the New Boss Katana Amps?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Grandy, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2010
    Finland
    Are they just repackaging the old Cubes or are they a more affordable version of the Waza Craft head? I don't need a high gainer but if the cleans are comparable to the new Blues Cubes I wouldn't mind having one.

[​IMG]

https://www.boss.info/us/categories/amplifiers/katana/

2. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2009
    The outer banks of Chicagoland
    I want to try one badly. The "brown" setting is supposed to be from the Waza amp, so I don't think these amps are a rehash of the modelling from the Cubes. FWIW, I just got a Cube 40GX, and love it, but still want to try the Katanas.

3. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    I am guessing... but I think the Roland Cubes might go away and be replaced by the Katana. The Katana is priced the same as the Cubes.

4. Nasty

Nasty Tele-Meister

Aug 27, 2016
    vallejo ca
    Roland/Boss has a habit of evolving and combining the features of one product line into the other, Rather than totally change or tweak the Cube or Waza I think they went with another product line on this one

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Roland also sometimes releases amps that just bomb, like the GA-212.

[​IMG]

They price them too high, then have to blow them out at clearance prices.

davguitar likes this.

6. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I want to try one. I played a newer Cube the other day and I was embarrassed at how much I liked my Tweed tones.

GrantR likes this.

7. GrantR

GrantR Tele-Meister

May 29, 2011
    New Zealand
    I'm interested too. The clean and crunch tones are what interests me. Here in N.Z., they are priced around the same mark as the Cube GX range. The simplicity of the amp appeals to me. If the clean is very good, I might be tempted.

8. sammy axe

sammy axe TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2016
    san diego ca
    I bet you it's worth every penny. Roland/Boss makes some really great gear. I would to see a world without that great company making gear. Sure, they get it wrong sometimes but more often than they deliver.

9. GrantR

GrantR Tele-Meister

May 29, 2011
    New Zealand
    I would be very surprised if the Cube range was replaced by the Katana amps. The Cube models have such a loyal following. I think they are a different concept, and each amp style will appeal to a different group of players. I could well be wrong. :)

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes, lots of jazz guys use Cubes as grab'n'go amps. Not Katana's audience.

chemobrain likes this.

11. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Seems to sound pretty good. Especially the cleans.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    guitrr, emisilly and GrantR like this.

12. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    When I close my eyes....and listen......
    this amp sounds like my tube amps when I know it is time to service them.
    Sorry,I love SS,I have some killer ones.But this didn't butter my bread.
    The Robben Ford Blues Cube---to me this is great SS tone. ;)

guitrr and GrantR like this.

13. GrantR

GrantR Tele-Meister

May 29, 2011
    New Zealand
    Robben Ford is definitely one of my all time favourite guitar players. He has such great feel, tone and expression. A very 'tasty' player !!!

soulman969 likes this.

14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

15. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    At the price point I don't know what to expect, but I would like to hear one in person. I can't imagine that the Boss amp would be as good as the new Blues Cube amps seeing the price difference, but if they have a really good tube amp like clean tone I'd be interested.

GrantR likes this.

16. Michel347

Michel347 Tele-Meister

Nov 9, 2011
    Montreal
    There is a good sounding review here.

guitrr likes this.

17. chemobrainkid

chemobrainkid Tele-Meister

Sep 2, 2016
    S.F. East Bay
    THIS SEEMS ODD TO ME ,READING THAT PEOPLE ARE OPENING THE BOUNDARIES OF WHAT IS AN ACCEPTABLE TECHNOLOGY.
    No offence is intended, I am not casting aspersion, no pitching side winder innuendos. It pleases me to see others players checking out the current technology advanced by manufacturers.
    I wonder how far behind this openness and willingness, is the Kemper Profiling technology
    What other think and are doing really is none of my business, as Steward Brand founder of the Whole Earth Catalog put it ever so mildly "If it works put it in the catalog." amen Stu.

guitrr likes this.

18. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    Looks like they've copied a few features from Vox's older Valvetronix line: four volume knobs, separate delay and reverb knobs, 4 programmable channel buttons, all knobs arranged in a single line, similar cab dimensions. Like the later Cube's, its missing an external speaker out? I still don't understand this... Unlike a Cube, its an openback, probably not as lightweight as a Cube and has a built in tiltback stand.

19. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    I'm interested.

20. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    FWIW Zzounds and American Musical Supply have some of the Boss Katana amps in stock at least they did last night.
    And AMS offers an extra free year warranty, and you can split it into 3 payments.
    $199 and free shipping, what the heck, I went ahead and ordered the 50 watt Katana combo amp.
    I figure if I don't like it I can send it back , but it probably will be fine , I liked my Cube 80XL and mostly only played it in the Jazz Clean or Marshall modes, most reviews are saying the Katana amps sound better than the Cube.

And the 50 watt Katana is cheaper than my Cube 80XL was new, I've read that some places are selling the CUBE amps cheaper now, so maybe the Katana is going to replace them?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.