Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What Do You Think Guitarists Do Too Much?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rostlund98, Feb 8, 2018.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Amen. I learned this almost 50 years ago while I was still in college playing backup on bass for a female country singer. The band leader took me aside during a break and explained to me, "Less is more. You don't compete with the vocalist". Lesson learned. It applies to guitarists, drummers, and keyboard players as well as bass players.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Sever Weiner proved this beyond a shadow of a doubt. He is capable of blowing most other guitarist into the weeds if he chose to do so, but is always restrained in his playing seldom ever using more than is needed. Less is more is totally correct!

The guy who really should learn some restraint, but not in his guitar playing, is Vince Gill. It takes him so long to introduce a song, and he tells so many tales getting to it, that the first five rows are sound asleep before he begins the tune!

JL_LI and DougM like this.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Buy too many amps and guitars. And pedals. Admit it!

4. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Mod guitars and talk gear. Too much of that and not enough actual practicing/playing.

Minimalist518, JL_LI, DougM and 3 others like this.

5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Guilty. But now that G.A.S. is largely under control I’m going into a heavy practice phase.

DougM likes this.

6. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I think we berate each other too much for not liking the music that we like or using the gear that we do. It shows how immature and infantile we can be (myself included).

7. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Ironically posted on a forum dedicated to talking about gear. But, I agree. Excuse me now, while I go plug in one of my many Strats.

El Tele Lobo, JL_LI and william tele like this.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    too many guitarists are too smooth and too perfect for my tastes.
    i mean, the guitar is inherently about being kinda rough around the edges, IMO, and so many guys miss the point of that with their tone/technique/gear/precision etc

I wanna hear some rattle and hum, and i wanna hear someone falling down the stairs in the sense of not knowing exactly what they're doing. to me those more organic qualities help give the guitar it's unique passion

and if it's not perfectly in tune, that's fine by me

9. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Meister

Things guitarists do too much? Play in the key of E or A

DougM likes this.

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Worry that other players are not practicing enough...

11. ElJay370

ElJay370 TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    Playing for all of the other guitarists in the audience instead of for the song.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I think there are very good reasons for playing in E...as are the reasons for playing in A. I'm not good at relating music theory but the way a guitar is tuned, E especially sounds better to me in many, many songs that I like to play that have a "swampy" feel.

13. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I'll sum it up with overplaying and mugging.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

14. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I agree with all the posts about playing too much. One of the nicest compliments I ever got was from a great singer/songwriter I played with who said to me "I like playing with you, 'cause you don't try to show off, you play for the song".
    The other thing is that we spend too much time trying to be someone else. The other nicest compliment I ever got was when I was with a friend and I put a cassette tape on to ask him his opinion of the music on it, and after five seconds he said to me "That's you, I can tell by the style".
    I also think we try to be too perfect, playing licks that we've perfected. I get the most enjoyment when I go for broke, and venture into uncharted territory. I may make more mistakes, but I find that I'm more expressive, and I love it when I find new phrases and sounds that I didn't know were in me. It's very gratifying.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

15. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Personally, I work too much. If I'd been playing instead of cutting steel 5-7 days a week for the last 25 years, I'd be somewhere. Stupid, ingrained work ethic.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018

17. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2007
    Moon Township, PA
    focus on guitar instead of music

ElJay370 and MilwMark like this.

18. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    I spend way too much time chasing tone and i never seem to catch it

19. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Oct 6, 2015
    blu ridge mtn cabin
    Yes, I definitely think that as a group we are way too OCD
    about our gear.
    Perhaps almost as finicky as harmonica players:)

20. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Agree with what was posted earlier. Most guitarists play too much. Most guitarist don’t understand about either playing a limited part or not playing at all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.