Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What Do You Cut Tinted Poly With? Opinions!

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by castpolymer, Dec 20, 2008.

1. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I am getting ready to refinish a neck that is a total mess. I want to tint it a dark color, so I bought some Minwax PolyShades ( stain and polyurethane mixed together ). What ratio would you cut it with if running it thru a Preval? What medium would you cut it with? Thanks ahead of time, Dale.

2. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Wow, spraying polyurethane that's made for brushing has some pitfalls. Granted, there are rattle can formulations of poly that are of course made for spraying. But otherwise, hobby type polyurethane cans are for brushing since they dry so slowly the brush marks level out before it's cured. Sprayed finishes usually take advantage of materials that dry faster so you can recoat faster and you don't have to worry about dust nibs settling on them before they dry. The Minwax will also have lots of solids in it - a nice thick finish for brushing but real hard to push through a spray nozzle unless you thin it so far that you're going beyond the manufacturer expected to be done with it.

Be very careful about overspray. Usually with lacquers that are made for spraying, the dust from spray that bounces back off of a workpiece will dry to a powder before it hits the floor - but with oil based poly if you spray it you will have a sticky film over everwhere that the mist floats to in the room.

Doesn't mean it can't be done, just that it might not get you any advantage. You would ordinarily thin the poly with naphta 10 to 15% for brushing, but to get such a heavy bodied finish to run through a Preval you'd probably have to thin it way down.

You might want to try a small can of Deft lacquer. Nitrocellulose is very forgiving stuff. Flammable and explosive, but very easy to get a nice sprayed finish. Comes in liquid paint cans for use in the Preval (and you could mix in some universal colorant to tint it), and also comes in rattle cans ready to spray.

3. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Thanks for the advice. I may give the tinted nitro thru the Preval a whirl.

4. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    In that case you might want to note that "Behlen's" is a retail brand name sold in lumberyards and paint stores from the same people who supply industrial/professional finishers with Mohawk brand lacquers and goodies. Behlen's makes a stringed instrument lacquer that's supposed to have the formula tweaked for guitars. Also McFadden is the bomb when it comes to lacquers and they're now carried by Stewart MacDonald's. You can try Luthier's Mercantile International also. Nothing wrong with Deft, but there are options. Lotsaluck.

5. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I'm a big fan of amber shelac as a base coat. You can use Minwax spray poly over top of it for serious protection.

As for thinning the Minwax Polyshades, read the label and find out. I think it's actually mineral spirits. But don't trust my memory, I used that stuff once, didn't like it and threw it away.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got a couple of cans of Polyshades people gave me.

I would never use it on guitars. The rate I'm going I'll never use it again on anything.

I did use a Minwax wipe on poly on an alder desk/table over in Florida because that's what she gave me to use. Clear finish, tall steel container.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.