Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What Do Pedal Reviewers Have Against Chords?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TBOT, Apr 16, 2018.

1. TBOT

TBOT TDPRI Member

Apr 19, 2016
    USA
    I mean seriously. Sometimes it’s so hard to see a pedal demo where the player will just play nice, full chords.
    Just noodling and more noodling.
    Sorry. I’m ranting.

2. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I like the chorus effect and it can sound just great one full chord per bar depending on the song.

TBOT likes this.

3. Sweet Lou 275

Sweet Lou 275 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2016
    Washington
    Most demos nowadays seem to focus more on a demo of the reviewers skill than the product. Drives me crazy to try to hear a certain guitar or pickup or amp and it's nothing but fretboard fire. Just let people hear what the darn thing sounds like! Rant on, TBOT!

TBOT likes this.

4. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    Yep, that's annoying sometimes.
    I like Chappers and the Captain from Anderton's, because the videos are funny, but they have absolutely no value for testing anything. Each and every video slips into some squealing on the b-string on 15th fret with highgain and noodling....
    Luckily enough there are others out there.

Obsessed, Guitaryellow and TBOT like this.

5. Sweet Lou 275

Sweet Lou 275 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2016
    Washington
    Pro Guitar Shop is a decent one as well. Pretty to the point and not too much flash.

6. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    Yeah, Andy is the best.

jb

7. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    I wish chappers would stop trying to convince us he’s a great musician. When he plays melodically he’s very good. Then he’ll shred. And ... well it’s not BAD but it lacks the creativity and fire of his melodic non shred work.

The best reviewer is mark Agnesi on Norman’s rare guitars ‘guitar of the day’ who plays known and accurate guitar parts as heard on the record. So often it’s a rhythm with lead. And you hear what the guitar sounds like and a context for it.

There was that soft spoken curly haired blonde English fellow who was really good. He could shred but played the pedal. And Phil McKnight is pretty good too

TBOT likes this.

8. Mr C

Mr C TDPRI Member

Mar 31, 2018
    New Zealand
    I quite like the ‘that pedal show’ guys... it’s a good mix of entertaining and informative.

TBOT likes this.

9. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    I found the same thing when searching for overdrive videos for humbuckers. IMO almost EVERY overdrive sounds at least pretty good with single coils but with humbuckers most are mud city.

I was looking for someone playing humbuckers and playing chords!

TBOT likes this.

10. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    "ELLOOO - Mick eeere!"

They are pretty entertaining and excellent players too. Dan has some licks that I have never seen anyone else play - bent chord fragments. I'm sure that they are from somewhere in the rock lexicon but I dont recognize them at all.

The only thing I dont like about their show is how long they talk before getting down to playing - but only when they are reviewing something that I am specifically interested in.

ONly recently realized that Mick is the editor of Guitarist magazine and that Dan owns the company that makes the switching board they feature on every show.

Paul in Colorado and TBOT like this.

11. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Yeah, I get tired of Chapman's shredding as well. I'm sure HE likes it and I'm sure it helps HIM evaluate gear, but it doesn't do a damn thing for me. And, as you say, he can play really wonderfully when he chills out and just plays and tries to interact. The guy from Dawson's music is the same but worse - I guess he's some kind of studio guy and he can play about two million miles a minute in any style you'd like, but I get absolutely nothing useful from his playing other than to know he can play.

Danish Pete is in another league and I love hearing him test gear. But I have sort of the opposite problem with him - I get so caught up in how nice his playing is that I quickly space out what I thought I was listening for. To me these types of reviews are nothing but the first step in deciding whether I want to investigate something more closely. A lot of stuff I figure out pretty quickly I'm not interested in. And some piques my interest, but from there, it's on me - I can't make a decision based on what they do. Fortunately, the place I buy stuff let me return it, so I can try it and know I can take it back if it doesn't do it for m...

-Ray

Obsessed and TBOT like this.

12. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Chords are what the other guy in the band plays. And he's mixed down so that you can hear Meeeee....

dlew919, UnbrokenChainz and TBOT like this.

13. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I decided to never even watch "pedal reviews" - I'd so much rather listen to music, play guitar, etc. Buy your pedals used and if they don't work for you, resell them for not much loss. A youtube vid really can't teach you much about how the pedal will sound with your gear anyhow. Waste of time if you're watching those vids for information.

MilwMark likes this.

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Why don't all those petal guys and petal reviewers play only blooze? Don't they know people only play bluze with petals? Oh wait, 'da blooooze doesn't use chords either.

waparker4 likes this.

15. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I respectfully must disagree. I think it isn't to the point and it's mostly flash.

I like watching Andy's vids as entertainment, but I don't like them as gear reviews. First of all, he has a unique playing style with his thumb and finger like he's using a pick but he's not. You're not hearing what the gear sounds like as played by a typical player with a pick, or a typical finger style player. Second of all, the videos are more about watching Andy loop through some post punk song, and his ability to nail every part, more than about the gear itself. While it is entertaining, it does not help me to evaluate (e.g.) a chorus pedal with 3 modes if he layers all 3 modes at the same time and masters the result so that it is very loud. To get to the part where you get gear in isolation, you have to wait through 5 minutes of flash and marketing buzzword exposition. Finally, he is employed by a retailer. I've never seen him give a negative review of anything.

/rant

Paul in Colorado likes this.

16. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Because the people who are doing the demos do not know how to play chords, and they don't where the "clean" channel is.

TBOT likes this.

17. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    LIVINg room gear demos does a pretty good job. And as already mentioned PGS

BorderRadio and TBOT like this.

18. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Many pedal reviews are atrocious. First they spend 2 minutes just talking about a myriad of things. Then many just play one style, heavy OD, or just Jazz stuff. We need to know how a pushed 2 string boogie, some good riffing and fills, leads etc sound. Many just demo OD pedals with the gain at mid or all up range. What does it sound like with gain at 1? etc etc.
    SHow us all the options, do it quick, stop jabbering.

TBOT likes this.

19. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    BorderRadio likes this.

20. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    All these guys just usually go to show if you can play well you make whatever combination of stuff sound good.

Mark Agnesi was mentioned, he never uses pedals except occasionally an OCD.

Andy from PGS is just doing Demos, he's not doing reviews so he's usually not saying anything good or bad about any of the products, he's repeating the marketing copy from the company and playing some songs. It's good he at least shows the settings.

He doesn't go through that many pedals but Brian Wampler's videos are pretty good, and he doesn't just stick to only his pedals.

Definitely would like to hear more rhythm, sometimes I find that is a hard thing to figure out how to dial in.

Paul in Colorado likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.