Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What do 'Master Builders' actually do?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AndrewG, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twangster2

twangster2 -----------------------

Dec 26, 2010
    hell
    Too funny...

But kinda true too

2. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

Jul 3, 2011
    phila pa
    not quite, it is more like buying a Harley from a dealer for $15,000
    or buying essentially the same bike from a guy with a TV show for $90,000

3. mr newhaven

mr newhaven Tele-Holic

Jun 1, 2009
    New Haven, CT

4. Chris Callahan

Chris Callahan Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2006
    Tucson AZ
    My MB is a 52 Esquire Relic, Jason Smith. I sold 4 great guitars to buy it. I'm glad I did. I'm glad there is a Fender CS. That guitar makes me happy.

Thanks for posting ME!

5. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    I'm a Fender fanboy. Thanks to Mike for taking the time to post and explain.

One of the nicest single cut guitars i've ever played was a Fender MB Flemming blackguard thinline. It inspired me.

6. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    Maybe. You could be absolutely right. But the important point of the metaphor is this and only this.....you get to choose which vehicle is appropriate for you.

* Please note that in both your metaphor and mine you'll notice the absence of guns pointed at anyone's head. :D

7. alpinewhite

alpinewhite Tele-Meister

Mike E - what can you tell us about this afterburner system? Got any pics you can share of the painting process and booth?

8. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

So do the FCS, they build them by hand and even hand shape the neck .... so what's your point?

... that using a machine to cut out a blank is cheating?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

9. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Feb 20, 2009
    Arkansas
    It's like art. Van Gogh, Monet, Rembrandt are highly prized artist. Or there work is. There are hundreds of guys and gals slaveing away all over the world creating unimagineably beautiful pieces of art that will never sell for what the "Masters" art will even if the "Masters' work is sub par in comparison. Just like original 50's fenders sell for $50,000 or whatnot. The original "Master's" art sells for millions. While they are not here to produce art today if they were it would be worth alot, but not millions. So original Fenders(art) is worth alot and modern repro's made with the same tools and process' by students of the original master alot, but not as much.

If Leo handmade a tele today we would all want it. Most of us could not afford it.

I do however think that Fender could make a fat neck Tele in Sonic blue with modern wiring and vintage other specs for a reasonable price. Just one for me and I'd be cool. Well cooler I'm already good with it all.

10. Latebluesman

Latebluesman Tele-Meister

Metaphors between guitars and cars. :rolleyes:
    Some things value beyond money. My FCS Masterbuilt Nocaster was a dream that came true.
    How much do dreams cost?
    It makes me happy and creative. I would not change it for any other non Fender guitar.

I never had something bad or negative to say about someone else's guitar, no matter how cheap or expensive.
    I really don't see why some people posted in this thread only to put down Masterbuilt guitars like mine.
    Well, personally I cannot put it down at all. I love it all the way, 7 days a week.

I am sorry for people who have only negative and mean things to say.

P.S. My Victoria Regal II amp is on the way...I will post some pictures of my combo.
    No "pedals" or any other toys. Just a cable...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

11. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2010
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I personally think the best way for the Fender Custom Shop to win my approval is to build me a guitar....Free of Charge....:lol:

12. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

A Master craftsman in any field used to be defined as - someone who was recognised by their guild/association/peers as having attained a high standard of ability and skill sufficient to have their peers applaud them and sufficient for them to train apprentices. There are lots of people out there who can make pretty guitars and lots who can make ones that play well. A master should be able to do both and impress his/her fellow master luthiers. Just because it looks good don't mean it is.

13. Latebluesman

:lol::lol::lol:

14. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Oct 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I can't help but wonder if Mike is still following this thread or if he's lost interest and moved on to something else...like building guitars.

15. Latebluesman

I think he said they are shooting some videos and pics.
    I bet he 'll be back!

16. Jimmy R

Jimmy R Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2011
    My Fretboard
    Incredibly valid points. A lot of people don't look at the big picture.

17. Encinitastubes

Encinitastubes Tele-Meister

Eh, guys ... I think Mike and Ron have left us to talk amongst ourselves. Do you want to keep talking? Just sayin'.

18. BoyNashville

BoyNashville TDPRI Member

Apr 24, 2008
    Mississippi
    No not at all... Every one is saying Fender is cutting corners with their Custom builds & I was just going to introduce everyone to Mike's work but however accuracy is the key to having a great sounding guitar along with great pieces of woods! I personally see nothing wrong with CNC routers, they are just modern tools & if you want to get technical about it, band saws were the "CNC" routers of the early guitars & the luthiers before that would consider their methods cheating in some ways but I think that such tools as the CNC routers are IMO building better guitars... If you look at Fenders old guitars the neck pockets had over hang & alot of string ferrule holes were drilled by hand & wasn't straight... to me that is just poor workmanship or should I say "learning from your mistakes".

19. Telepi

Telepi Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2009
    Missouri
    Good night everyone. Time for bed. Folks on the West Coast can stay up an extra hour.

20. Triton Thrasher

Triton Thrasher Tele-Afflicted

Sep 8, 2010
    Wick, Scotland

And leads?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.