Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What do 'Master Builders' actually do?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AndrewG, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

I think your point is well taken...and since most Dudes need visuals, this

is why some of us tend to scratch our collective heads a tad on the pricing.

Plus....when did a '56 have a Rosewood neck & Board ?....I guess we can overlook that.......;)

2. dayold

dayold Former Member

Jun 18, 2010
    st louis
    :rolleyes: why not? hell i'd be here contolling the damage if nothing else. if i bash your guitars or your post are you gonne chime in a defend yourself. ?

lets just bash the be-jesus out of a product on a website dedicated to the product.

...and one that uses the copywrited name of a product for the web address.
  3. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted

Sep 1, 2011
    I don't understand the vitriol being expressed toward the FCS and Mike Eldred. I owned a CS Strat a several years ago. I loved that guitar. Unfortunately it was stolen from me or I would still own it. I waited 10 weeks for it after I ordered it and it was worth the wait. The fit and finish, workmanship and the overall vibe of the guitar was top notch. It arrived exactly as I ordered it. If I had the funds now I'd order another without any hesitation.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    There's really not a whole lot wrong with the Custom Shop's business model when they sell every single thing they make!

As to the gap between the CS prices, and Ron's prices. My thoughts on that is that given the quality of Ron's work, and the demand for it, he could actually be charging a bit more than he does!
  6. Albionic

Albionic Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2011
    United Kingdom
    not knocking fender for their pricing no one is forced to buy one.

but its interesting that you think ron kirn should charge more rather than fender charge less.

i think with the web people are able to compare soundclips and opinions the days where you can claim to be offering more or better without actually delivering more or better are coming to an end.

saying that perhaps as a performer the fender name is worth paying for as it comes with a level of respect and prestige from even non guitar players.

i still think we guitarists are the worst group of consumers when it comes to thinking if something costs more it must be better
    (don't get me started on boutique pedals lol)
  7. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think there's any vitriol, just a couple of "Dogs with a bone".
  8. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Tele-Meister

Aug 12, 2007
    You know I have to say that I've learned some stuff here…

I mean I admit it when I go into the room at GC or see some For Sale stuff on line for Masterbuilt Strats & Teles for 5-6K, I'm like, for what…but after reading here about the attention given to one guitar by one guy, I guess I can see it…sure. (I'm not talking about any of the fancy over the top inlay stuff…or fake aging or any of that…just a basic Strat or Tele)

So it comes down to well is it worth it…I dunno? If you can afford it and you think so - then yeah.

Can we now get back to plain old Road Worns being available in the cool 50s/60s Custom Colors and a 9.5" Radius as an option and no sharp frets hanging off the edges of every guitar that comes out of there…oh yeah and some Rosewood Fretboard Teles from that era also...but I digress!

Great thread!
  9. dayold

dayold Former Member

Jun 18, 2010
    st louis
    Where's the pic of the guy throwing keys at the rear of a new guitar. I guess there no such thing as a factory 2nd when you sell beat up guitars.
  10. thestreet

thestreet Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2004
    I don't always agree with everything Ron Kirn says, or how he says it, but there is no denying the guy is a craftsman.

When I see his tutorial outlining the entire process of him building a strat shape guitar, I scratch my head in wonder as to why he charges what he does.

I know a bit about woodworking and can't imagine the time needed to get those guitars as tight and detailed as he does.

Try recessing a strat jack plate without an elaborate jig, and then do it on the finished guitar.
    It's fricken hard.

I don't own an RK or know anyone who does, but I know tough details when I see them.

His pricing along with guys like Danocaster seem more than fair for the amount of handwork involved on their guitars.

The Masterbuilt pricing doesn't surprise or bother me. I can't afford it, but that's the cost to get a custom guitar made by the Fender company.
    I still love my production Fender Tele and the company that made it.
  11. cfox

cfox TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Just because I don't have 15000+ posts on this site, does not make me a troll. I think its the other way around. I was just posting what I felt about the subject.
  12. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

Keep smiling, cfox. I think CWK's comment was really directed toward the 'nother troll. +1 on that from me.
  13. James J LaRue

James J LaRue Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2012
    La Mesa, CA, USA
    and then there's Ed Roman, who's website is a platform of hate against pretty much every manufacturer that not his own brand, sweet pics of classic guitars, and a few cougarish babes holding them...and I tell ya what, I'm not in any hurry to get in a debate with Ed Roman, but I'm always on his site looking at pics. (and for the record, the salesman we dealt with the one time we visited the vegas store was really really nice and helpful finding parts for us) But have you read Ed's Rants! He's probably right about a lot of stuff but JEEZ his website is more editorial than it is a web store or product info.

And also, there's a difference between a guy that works hard and does a great job at a major corporation (building whatever the customer requests and doing his best), and the major corporation itself. It's like that scene in Star Wars where the 2 storm troopers and just hanging out chatting with each other. Don't hate the builder, hate the game. (but in this case, none HAS to buy a Gibson or Fender, vote with yo dollaz, get an Antonio Tsai if you want - BEDAZZLED!)
  14. 3hairmohican

3hairmohican NEW MEMBER!

Feb 18, 2012
    totowa nj
    thanks for the historic insight !!!
  15. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Tele-Meister

Aug 12, 2007
    It's probably gonna be awhile before he replies.

Serious black humor attempt!
  16. James J LaRue

James J LaRue Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2012
    La Mesa, CA, USA
    Ha, I hope so! He's scary.
  17. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Umm, he Rests In Peace
  18. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

Jul 3, 2011
    phila pa
    What do 'Master Builders' actually do?

better quality control then the standard assembly line at a greatly exaggerated price for people who like to spend money
  19. twangster2

twangster2 -----------------------

Dec 26, 2010
    Not sure about the better quality control, but spot on on the exaggerated price for people which like to spend money.
  20. Albionic

Albionic Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2011
    United Kingdom
    something else just occurred to me that if fender did masterbuilt guitars for $2500 the demand would be such that they would have to employ hundreds of masterbuilders wich would make the whole idea less special.

fender have a pool of builders and i guess the select few that get masterbuilder status must really be something special. (fenders top guns if you will)

perhaps you have to consider it a collectors piece, the best fender has to offer from a massive pool of guitars and builders.

maybe theres your value right there

as a player rather than a collector i doubt i'll ever own one although i would like something custom built one day.
    i will be focussed more on how it sounds and plays than anything else and it would be a guitar i'd have no problem gigging with in local bars
  21. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Jan 18, 2011
    Longmont, CO
    Going to (foolishly) wade into this. I'm no expert, but what I think master builders and men like Ron Kirn add is (at the very least) something intangible, but none the less real. Call it love, the force, positive energy, whatever. Sure it is just wood and metal, but, like those Dr. Masaru Emoto experiments where positive or negative thoughts are directed at water, then the water is frozen and the ice crystals are accordingly beautiful or mis-formed, one can feel the difference.
    Anyone who has ever received a handmade birthday card from a first grader knows that it is somehow very different from a Hallmark card.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.