Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What do I have here? 52 Tele?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by CharlotteTele, Nov 13, 2015.

1. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    the way the cap is on the switch looks like broadcaster/nocaster blend wiring
    also slot truss rod suggests 1950

2. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    That does look like Broadcaster/nocaster wiring. I have that in mine, so I know how it looks. For the regular tele wiring of that era(up until 66-67), there should be two tone caps. One for the "Deep Rhythm" circuit, and one for the second pot, once it was changed from blender to tone control.

However, '52 was a bit of a transistional year, so some early teles could have still had the blend circuit and the transition to philips screws was not complete until '53. Possible to still have slotted screws, or a mix of both on a '52.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/304672-slotted-phillips-screws.html

And I chanced across a diagram from The Blackguard Book that shows the blend wiring as valid for the two pickup Esquire, 50 Broadcaster, 51 nocaster, and the 51/52 Telecaster. I think we all know early Fender history can be a bit confusing and inconsistent until you really dig into it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016

3. KCJonez

KCJonez Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2011
    Toronto
    Great thread. Way to go salvaging that axe. You did a killer job. Enjoy playing it...

4. bchaffin72

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    I did a bit more research and re-read some sections in Fender: The Sound Heard Round the World. Seems a trustworthy source, as Richard Smith knew Leo and was pretty thorough in tracking down old records and photos, as well as talking to whoever was still alive at the time of writing.

So, the blend wiring was used on '52 telecasters. The blend wasn't replaced with a tone control until the '53 models, where you had the "Deep Rhythm" in position 3, neck with tone in 2, and bridge with tone in 1. This was when you lost the ability to combine pickups at all, unless you balance the switch between positions, which wasn't changed to the current scheme until a few years after the sale to CBS.

5. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Holy $#!&

Don't know how I missed this thread but wow. Coolest tele and story of the year.

tinearjones likes this.

6. CharlotteTele

CharlotteTele TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Just an update....yep....still in love with this guitar. :p
    That bridge position is killer!

bchaffin72, i have that Fender book. Thanks for your input.

7. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

If you ever wanna jam, I'm in greensboro! I'd happily watch and listen only to that thing. :D

I just want to be in the presence.

CharlotteTele likes this.

8. CharlotteTele

Sep 30, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    ha! For sure!
    I gig with a band that does weddings and private events all throughout the Carolinas and we're up around Greensboro, Winston and Raleigh a good bit through the warmer months.

9. bchaffin72

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    It's a pretty good book and I love digging into the old Fender history.

Sadly, I'm a bit too far away, otherwise, I'd happily offer my services if she ever needed a baby-sitter.:p

The only thing I really changed about mine was experimenting a lot with cap values and greasebucket style cap/resistor combos on position 3 to get something different from the straight neck position, but not as dark or potentially muddy as the original .05 cap. For the moment, I've settled on a straight .01 cap. It's a definite roll off from the no tone load neck sound, but still clear enough to be useful in a modern context.

I really do like the blend option, it brings some in-between tones you wouldn't otherwise get. And you can use it almost like a tone if all you need is to just trim a bit of high end from the bridge pickup.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016

10. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Long Island
    ...you cleaned it?????.....OMG! and a new water slide? oh well...you just devalued it by a chunk. Now it looks like a $2,000 Custom Shop tele lol...

11. BOBBRADLEY

BOBBRADLEY TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Derby city!
    Can I get some videos man!!!!

12. saxosim

saxosim Tele-Meister

Jul 3, 2013
    North East, England
    What a fantastic post, congratulations what a guitar. Finish wise I would be tempted to take it to an expert and get them to uncover the blonde finish if it's under there. A test under the pick guard should hopefully uncover the beautiful original finish.

In any case whatever you decide, fantastic guitar enjoy it and play the heck out of it :)

13. harlycarly

harlycarly Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Republik of Vermont
    Late to the party here, just bumbled onto this thread. What fun, guitar looks great!! Hope you can get a video up of how it sounds. Congratulations, nice work.

14. CharlotteTele

Sep 30, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks guys. The finish it has now just looks so dang cool in person. I just can't bring myself to having it removed. I doubt there is much finish left under there though.

I'll try to get some video soon!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    saxosim likes this.

15. CharlotteTele

Sep 30, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    20160318_222104.jpg 20160318_222413.jpg 2016-03-18 22.27.21.jpg 20160318_223043.jpg 20160318_222120.jpg Here are a couple recent photos :)

saxosim and songtalk like this.

16. CharlotteTele

Sep 30, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    In the Blackguard Book, Nacho says he's seen a slot trust rod all the way up to 1954. Crazy...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016

17. rwhite219

rwhite219 Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Put the old guard back on! :)

18. CharlotteTele

Sep 30, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    That old guard was actually clear and someone had painted it black on one side. Had spots of gold too :( not as great as that one photo made it out to be.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016

19. rwhite219

rwhite219 Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2012
    Portland, OR
    It's ok, it woulda been the only scratch plate you'd be nervous to scratch

20. tonyboy

tonyboy TDPRI Member

May 2, 2003
    Woodstock, GA
    Looks like Vince Gill's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.