Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What do I have here? 52 Tele?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by CharlotteTele, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    On the saddles, if a penetrating oil will not free them up use some brake fluid. Let them soak in the fluid over night and clean them thoroughly afterwards. Brake fluid has an amazing ability to penetrate stuck metal parts.

2. CharlotteTele

CharlotteTele TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    The penetrating WD40 worked for the height adjustment screws. Thanks for the advice everyone! Dropped the guitar off for the refret last night and hope to have it back within the next week. But before i did that, i couldn't resist putting it back together and taking some pics. Everything will stay as is except that guard (it's just too clean!). I have a nice aged guard coming in the mail that should be the finishing touch.

Attached Files:

3. CharlotteTele

Sep 30, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Question about these early neck plates. Were the 4 holes drilled by hand? I noticed on mine that the spacing wasn't even on each corner. Looked around online and it seems like a few of the early ones were like this.

4. Bluebird

Bluebird TDPRI Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Canada
    Make sure those wear marks don't get sanded out during the refret... that would be a shame!

5. Bluebird

Bluebird TDPRI Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Canada
    Sweet guitar, by the way. You are doing right by just leaving that old refin alone.

6. CharlotteTele

Sep 30, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Absolutely. I made sure they knew not to mess with the wear marks.

7. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wow what a find. I would love to hear it. Sort of like finding the holy grail. Congrats.

8. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2007
    Boynton Beach, FL
    First off, it's a great thing the Tele was so abused. If it was in better condition you'd most likely never be able to afford it

Secondly, are you planning on selling it? If not feel free to restore it all you want. Keep it all in case you do sell it, but it's already players grade. If you like it as is, GREAT! If you want it refinished, GREAT!

Sadly too many people are too concerned about resale. I must be crazy because I believe it is more important to have a guitar that is something that bonds perfectly with the owner.

Ironically most of the people who demand originality and are overly concerned about what people do with their guitars are the same people who moan and groan that collectors drive up the prices too much.

Enjoy that awesome Telecaster!!!!!

Kiss My Shiny Nitro Ash!

9. CharlotteTele

Sep 30, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Just a little update on this one...
    Just back from a refret from NC Guitar Works in Charlotte, NC. Great guys and they do outstanding work. It's hard to put this guitar down it plays so great! I did an entire gig this past Saturday with just this guitar :p

Anyway, a few last photos since she's back together and hanging out with a couple friends from 1964.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Attached Files:

10. lewis

lewis Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Colorado

11. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    UK
    Looks great :cool:

What happened to those holes in the bridge and did you replace the scratch plate?

12. CharlotteTele

Sep 30, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks!

I had a bridge made for it with the same serial number stamped. I put the other bridge in the case. Yep, replaced the guard with an aged version from Montreux.

Bluebird likes this.

13. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    There are no words for how jealous I am :eek::eek:

Cool to know that one's in the Carolinas!

14. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    That is a fantastic result - it looks wonderful and, with the refret, no doubt plays it. I'm so pleased for you. Judging by the sofa shot, she's in excellent company.

15. BOBBRADLEY

BOBBRADLEY TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Derby city!

16. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    I'm speechless. :eek:

Nice to see you're keeping it in action, though. If I had one, I'd play it too. I don't care what the guitar is, I'm not into expensive, decorative wall hangers, myself. :)

17. russ

russ Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Westside
    Well done!

18. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Mar 22, 2008
    In The Pines
    100%!

19. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    Great work, CT.....back from oblivion, with all that history intact:)

20. CharlotteTele

Sep 30, 2015
    Charlotte, NC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.