Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What delay should I get?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by KyleS, Sep 11, 2017.

1. KyleS

KyleS TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Australia
    Hi all! I'm relatively new to pedals, the modulation side of things anyway, I'm a big fan of fuzz and overdrive so I'm good there. But delay wise I'm looking to purchase a good analog tape delay, I would love to get the carbon copy by MXR but I don't want to copy my dad hehe, could anybody recommend a good delay roughly around the same price? Thanks!

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    The CC is not an analog tape delay,it is a bucket brigade analog delay.

An analog tape delay will cost you a fortune and will be heavy,difficult to use live and unreliable (if it is an old one).

One of the best delays ever built,reliable,tap tempo,analog ,1000 MS of delay time,oscillation & modulation controls ( and relatively cheap too ) is this one,I highly recommend it

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    ukepicker likes this.

3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Hi Kyle - you're in luck! The TPS guys just did a show on analog delays Friday. They seemed to favor the Vapor Trail and a Moog delay.

If it's analog delay you're after, the carbon copy is great. And everywhere for great prices. The Vapor Trail was made to directly compete with it. However, MXR has released a "carbon copy deluxe" pedal which, among other upgrades, has extended delay times, tap tempo and subdivisions. They are supposed to start shipping next month, if you have the patience to wait for it.

If you're after real tape delay, that's a different animal altogether. There are only a few in current production - TRex and Fulltone are the only companies that I can think of that offer new ones. They are pricey - and vintage tape delays are even more expensive. And I believe they all require a little maintenance. But if you really want to show your dad up, bring one of those home.

4. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    You should definitely buy whichever pedal is mentioned most frequently in all of the responses to this thread.

That should narrow it down to 8 or 10. :D:lol:

Actually, what you should really do is go to a local music shop and try a few delay pedals out that are in your price range.
    There are a LOT of good options available these days. Listen for yourself to see what makes your ears happy.

For me, I really like the tc electronics Flashback.
    It is digital, but the "analog modes" sound great and it's very easy to dial in.

Also - while I completely understand not wanting to buy the same pedal your dad has, a good pedal is a good pedal. Just make sure whatever you get doesn't leave you thinking, "This is nice, but I kinda wish I had a Carbon Copy."

WetBandit, karpis and ukepicker like this.

5. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    South Florida
    +1 try out as many as you can...

On that note my current inexpensive favorite is the Ibanez DE-7 from their Tonelok series a while back. Its a sleeper and for the price, worth having...

The Echo shifter is worth looking at.

Another used gem is the Carl Martin Delayla or Delayla XL - more on the subtle side of things, but a great sounding pedal if thats what you are after.

If you like the Carbon Copy, just get the carbon copy...you Dad has the same thing as several thousand others, so no shame...

RetroTeleRod likes this.

6. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    The Boss DD-7 Digital Delay has an emulated analog mode. Best of both worlds, a nice analog sound plus a clean digital delay to boot. A used one would be around the price point you're looking for, I think.
    [​IMG]

7. blille

blille Tele-Holic

I second the Flashback or the DD7 or any other that has several modes. I don't think you're going to figure out your ultimate delay from this thread or a few videos. It will help but it takes time with your gear, playing live etc to figure out what works for you. Getting one of these delays with many modes allows you to test a broad palette of delays. Once you figure out what you like, you can trade them for that. Or maybe you realize that what you like is variety and keep it.

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Heheh Dad Pedal.

Look up the Malekko 616 dark for tape appropriations. Different looks, still sound like dad :)
    Also, a used Wampler tape echo pedal might be in budget.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I like the Boss DM-2.
    It's not versatile, but it sounds warm and old school, which works for me.

10. blille

blille Tele-Holic

I've considered the ES2 several times but never pulled the trigger because of reliability. Many reports online of it stopping working in forums and Amazon. In terms of features and sounds I agree it looks good.

11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    Mine works fine after two years of daily use.

12. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    Not tape emulating, but a really solid, cheap analog delay is the Jonny Rock Pink Pit. It's a fairly dark pedal that really sits well in a mix. It does darken your base tone as well. I love mine.

13. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

This +1.
    Much prefer the DM-2/DM-2W over the Carbon Copy.

OP, in the price range you're looking at i'd suggest...

I got mine new for £120. Cheaper than a new MXR, and soooooo much better. Only sold mine because it doesn't work so great running into the front end of an amp, but in the loop it's one of the best delays at any price point.

brookdalebill likes this.

14. karpis

karpis Tele-Holic

Sep 10, 2012
    Lithuania, Vilnius
    Dude, your dad can save you money and time - just borrow carbon copy and play it loud, with a band, at home, etc. And if you like get your own CC or look for something brighter or with longer delay time.
    I have experience with two delay pedals: Marshall Echohead and Boss DD-3. Now I have only Boss, but to be fair both got little use - I'm not big delay user... Maybe Marshall even more versatile. But Boss DD-3 is classic and fully satisfies my delay needs.
    And definitely go to store and try everything possible. And chose pedal based on sound, not on who use (or doesn't) it;)

15. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    ICT
    in the same price range?
    hard to beat the malekko ekko or maybe the echo puss

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.