Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

What car has the quietest cabin/least road noise?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Mar 12, 2018.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2017
    1990 - 2010
    $10K or less
    Which do you have, what would you buy?

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I don't have one... but...

If you can afford the maintenance and upkeep, I'd be looking at Mercedes and/or Lexus, or other high end luxury brands. They get super affordable when they're that old, and are the quietest cars I've ever ridden in.

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    It's gotta be Lincoln.

Those cabins are so quiet, I can always hear the inane/incomprehensible "beat poetry for imbeciles" that comes out of Matthew McConaughey's mouth- and he doesn't speak very loud !

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Yep...quiet cabins are associated with luxury cars...Boris will hate it but this is noteworthy example that fits the bill...
    jimash and Jakedog like this.

5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    The 'wrong' tires will make any car loud. Switching goodyear hi pos to contis turned my last car from a gocart to a caddy.
    ftbtx, Mike SS, telemnemonics and 6 others like this.

6. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Meister

Aug 25, 2016
    I drive a 94 YJ without top or doors. Between the wind and the engine, I hear almost no road noise :D

7. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    Sold cars for years, driven just about every make and model. In your price range, you want an older Toyota Avalon or Camry.
    Toyota has the quietest cabin before you get into luxury vehicles.
    badger51 and davidchagrin like this.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

USA, as in American Brands?

Lincoln, Cadillac, Mercury, Buick. The bigger the example, the quieter it will tend to be. I'd probably start with those Lincoln Town Cars.
    Toto'sDad likes this.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Would you stake your life on something appearing in US News and World Report?

I rest my case. Besides, Korean = USA? If you want a quiet foreign brand car, that Lexus LS series in unmatched.

And let's talk about the discount you can get in some markets, on a 2016 never sold Genesis. This reminds me of the Law Schools who concentrate on producing people who can pass the State Bar Exam, but they don't have any familiarity with interviewing clients or trying cases in court.

10. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    +1 on the Avalon. I had one for a couple of years. My son has the Lexus that is the same body as the Avalon and both cars were dead quiet. Great highway cars. Used luxury cars can be good values. Mercedes cars can get real pricey out of warranty.

11. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Holic

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Be careful of the German luxury brands. They get very expensive to maintain and repair. I know this from personal experience. Lexus is still a good choice as it gets on in years because of the commonality of many parts and assemblies with Toyota. You can also find good mechanics to work on them outside the dealership.
    scrapyardblue and Chicago Matt like this.

12. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    For 10k, I'd be looking at a Lexus. I love my German cars and own and maintain them exclusively, but at that budget, Lexus will win out in the long run. I don't find older Lexus cars terribly exciting, but they're plenty comfortable.

13. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

NOT a Chrysler Town and Country or Dodge Grand Caravan.
    BobbyZ and Chicago Matt like this.

14. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    A LONG time ago, I drove a friend's 1975 Lincoln Continental. That thing was a land yacht to be sure, but it was so quiet inside, I was actually uncomfortable, because I couldn't hear ANYTHING that was going on around me on the road. It was like sitting inside a sound-proof chamber and I really, really didn't like it!
    Mike SS and telemnemonics like this.

15. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    estados unidos
    older toyota camrys are silent, our friend had one and I could never tell when it was running. comfy and good ac., I wouldn't hesitate to buy one with 100k on it

16. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I missed the USA requirement (as I see some of my comrades got work to do...:D).

I rode a considerable distance in a Genesis and I was looking for any link that would show the car and comparable used price. Not sure how a discount on a NOS car and inexperienced lawyers relate to this...but I gave up on trying to understand your intentions all together.
    jimash likes this.

17. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Starter goes out ... used/rebuilt one is $350 and 10hrs to swap yourself or $1,500-$2,000 at a shop -- where either dropping the motor and trans or taking half the top of the engine off to access the starter is required. Domestic rebuilt starter replacement is under $50 and a couple of bolts and wire connection to make.

bparnell57 and JL_LI like this.

18. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    By far, my MKZ was not only the quietist cabin I've ever owned, but the best car (and I've had good cars, including Infiniti and Acura).
    bparnell57 likes this.

19. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 26, 2008
    As someone above said, TIRES. It's amazing how much they matter.

20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    A hearse. At least to the guy in the back.
    John Owen and scrapyardblue like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.