Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What can I do with a clean boost?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Breezecookie, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Breezecookie

Breezecookie Tele-Meister

This is showing my ignorance, but I was playing around this morning with the clean boost section of my Holy Fire overdrive pedal. It sounds great with no added noise. My question is this- with ONLY the boost, is it any different than turning up your amp (in my case, a no-master Vox AC4TV)? I can see the advantage of having the pedal: hitting it to go into a solo, or driving a small dimed amp harder to get more volume/breakup, but I read of guys leaving it on all the time- why is that (if it is) different than just turning up your amp?

So ignorant--
    David

2. robt57

robt57 Doctor of Teleocity

It ups your input impertinence and signal driving the front end, then in turn the power section of your amp. Over Drive...

3. Breezecookie

Okay, but will I get breakup at a lower db level than I will turning up my amp, or is it a different sort? Is it preamp breakup as opposed to power amp breakup? My feeling is that I'm getting the same distortion at the same actual volumes (not where the knob is turned, but the output sound level). Is it different on a Class-A with no master than an AB with a master volume. Obviously I should do what my ears tell me, but inquiring minds and all that. . .

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. robt57

It is gain, so it should be more crunchy at lower volumes. I can not speak for the front end of your amp, what is it ?

6. Breezecookie

It's one 12AX7 pre and one EL84 power. Thanks- I'll play with it a little more intensely and see what I can get out of it.

7. robt57

So, yes then, very much so. Hot up the signal going into that setup well should push it into breakup early, but will still wan to get loudish, for thevtone I would want anyway..

Make sure no one stuck a low gain tube in place the pre-amp tube. Is it actually a 12ax7 tube in it. Folks like to stick 12AT7, 12DW7, 12AU7 etc. in place. Like me, I am a big fan of 12AT7 or 12DW7 depending on the amp.

8. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you've already figured it out.
    I use mine for solo boost, but only when I'm gigging with the Carmen Ghia since it is such a simple amp design and only 18 watts. For my Mesa Lonestar Stack, which I use for bigger staging, I have a solo boost on the the amp that is activated via the Mesa footswitch. I use a Fulltone Fat Boost with the Z and it works very well in that application.

9. Breezecookie

I haven't opened it, but I bought it new, so I assume it's the stock semi-cheapy tubeset. I've thought about putting an 12AT7 in so I can get louder cleans- would that happen, or would it just reduce the overall volume?

Also, since I'm showing my ignorance, I'll throw this out here: my clean boost has supposedly up to 12dB of boost. If I dimed everything including the boost, would I be in much danger of blowing the speaker? I wrote Vox to ask the power handling capabilities, but never heard back; it's a Celestion made specifically for this amp and isn't on the Celestion website anywhere. It sounds AWFULLY loud when dimed (without the boost), but I'm a volume wimp!

10. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Your boost, turned up enough, will overload the first stage of the 12ax7. Then, depending on your volume and tone setting, this can overload the second stage of the preamp tube and the output tube. Without the boost, all the first stage is doing is amplifying the signal from the guitar (not strong enough in most cases to overload it) and sending it along to the volume & tone circuitry and the second stage of the preamp tube. Your volume/tone settings will then determine if the second stage and power tube gets overdriven.

I don't think there is any danger of a 9V pedal blowing up your speaker. Your amp is only capable of sending a limited amount of wattage to the speaker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.