Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What bench top router table, or DIY???

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Onebean, May 18, 2013.

1. Onebean

Onebean Tele-Holic

I'm getting the Porter Cable 690 Ron K. and others speak highly of. Now I need a router table. If I'm using a bearing guide, do I really need a table with a fence? I won't be doing much more than routing bodies, and possibly trying my luck at making necks. What are you guys using?

Onebean

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

If you are making necks with a hotrod style you might like a fence. I have a benchdog router table...it's a bit on the small side. This is it
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?...campaign=PLA&gclid=CL-r58vioLcCFRCe4AodzjsAWA

Most guys preferred to make their own the last time this came up. I've made a couple over the years and really wanted something that was dead flat. Sometimes it is just easier to buy something than make it.

I'd opt for a cast iron topped one myself if I were to do it all over again.

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity

Buying a benchtop table is the best way I can think of to convince yourself that you need something larger than a benchtop table. ;)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Onebean

Onebean Tele-Holic

Excellent point. How big should the table be?

Onebean

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

Having ANY router table will make you happier than you were before; on the other hand, making my own quickie-cheapie one has made me want a better one than I could make....

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity

Mine is 24"x32", which is compact enough that it doesn't take up too much space, but it still has enough surface area to keep the workpiece stable.

I don't build guitars, though I do quite a bit with pieces that are of a similar size. I found that with the benchtop that I started with that too much of the workpiece hung over the edge of the table, which meant that it always took more effort to keep the workpiece flat on the table, which meant holding the piece closer to the spinning bit while also applying a bit of down pressure.

8. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

9. TelePenguin

TelePenguin Tele-Meister

10. Whozure

Whozure Tele-Meister

I built this one with 3/4 MDF using both Titebond II glue and screws at all joints. The top is a Woodpeckers 24x32 table with a Woodpeckers Super Fence and aluminum router plate attached to a Porter Cable router. The router is a reworked model 892 that can be set up above the table including changing the speed. I rewired the router to bypass the soft start feature so I could install an external speed controller. Now the only reason I have to raise the top or open the cabinet door is to clean the router, or get to some of my router bits.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.