Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What are your favorite cheap guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by adamgdog, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Danelectro U2 sounds like and looks like a Les Paul with both pick ups on, also a short scale at 20" and a metal nut if you want to play slide.

2. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2017
    Castle Rock
    Thanks for correcting my spelling Mom!

3. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    It's not that you spelled it wrong.You know darn well it's spelled Squier.
    You just did it on purpose to mess with us.:)

4. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    Ok.Don't let it happen again.:) Also,I'm not the only Mom on this list who is
    waiting to correct you the next time.

grooveiron likes this.

5. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Got my Squier CV 50s Vintage Blonde Tele for $299 new about 4 years ago. Gigged with it a lot. A great guitar at several times the price. I love it. And what do you know? - I can even spell it right now. :cool:

6. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    life is to short to squander your days acquiring expensive guitars that hang on the wall and collect dust because they would go down in value if you play them.

I don't play my guitars because of what they cost, I play them because of how they sound. I don't judge sound based on $$$, I judge sound with my ears, not my wallet. Money spent in acquistion of high priced guitars that are just eye candy, could better be spent on most anything else.

I like a pretty guitar as much as the next player, but I'm not gonna waste dough on them, when there are a sea of used guitars availble for little dosh and can be customized to whatever my heart desires.

Expensive guitars are for people without the skills to mod their own guitars. But thats just me, somebodies got to keep the treadmill going. Beleiving that the magic guitar will improve their skills, when all the magic is at the end of your fingers. Dumbo thought he needed a feather to fly....

I don't mind playing cheap guitars if they sound good, I have 2 or 3 that I paid less than 30$ for and I like them just fine, I'd probably feel different about them If I paid 2 or 3 thousand for them, like I probably would not have cut a hole in the side and installed a preamp for example.

my favorite "cheap" guitar, are Yamahas, I've got 5 and love them all..
    Price only reflects what the buyer will pay, or what the seller thinks the buyer will pay. Intrinsic value of instruments goes back to who played them. A cheap 12 string Framus becomes an expensive guitar when John Lennon plays it. A whole lot of great music was created on relatively cheap instruments,

No one says, Dark Side of the Moon would have been so much better if Gilmour would have had that serial #01 strat when they did the album. The Binson Echorec he used probably cost more than his guitar at that time.

bgmacaw and hotpot like this.

7. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    It's nice to see the appreciation for First Acts on the rise. Not all of them are undiscovered gems, but if you find one strung through the body, chances are it's one of the good ones. A lot of them were abused and neglected because they were cheap, but I used to be able to find good, clean FAs for as little as $25! I've paid more for a strap! Prices are on the rise now, so if you find a Paul Westerberg sig model cheap, please put it aside for me. Thanks.

You may or may not dig the style, but that's part of their charm. Danos for the 21st century.

8. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Vintage, Harley Benton and J&D.

9. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    What is a spelling Mom?

EDIT: Sorry. Couldn't resist. And for what it's worth, punctuation errors bother me more than spelling errors. :twisted:

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    RoyBGood likes this.

10. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I got my CV Strat used for 200$, Epi SL for 100$, 119$ for a high-end First Act semi hollow Delia. Also have a Hadean Tele from Rondo, changed the neck and pickups (more for grins than anything), on sale for $80 (pickups were Slick Bakersfield $35 ea. They sound great!).

11. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Meister

May 6, 2018
    Uknown.
    my favorite "cheap" guitar, are Yamahas/ for First Acts. I own a Yamaha. It is one of the best I own. I also have a First Act. Cool you like those.;)

12. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2010
    North Alabama
    Gretsch Streamliners.
    Squier.

13. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

Me too - there's a sign for a local café that proudly offers Coffee, Tea and Lunch's. :lol::eek:

t guitar floyd likes this.

14. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    ”What are your favorite cheap guitars?”

The best value, inexpensive ones

15. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    how does that model 700 sound like? Its got a killer 60's italian vibe going.

16. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2018
    WV

Lunch's what? For the life of me, I can't imagine what a lunch could possibly possess! :mad: Flavor? Calories?

EDIT: Just as I was typing this I got an IM that said "Your welcome!"

My welcome is what?

*knocks head on desk*

Oy vey

t guitar floyd, RoyBGood and Fearnot like this.

17. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    My local lumberyard has a sign in the parking lot that reads:

Attention "Drivers" - no left turns here!

Overuse of scare quotes is, to me, the funniest punctuation error. Use of possessive apostrophe's in plural marker scenario's is just annoying.
    Spelling mom, meet grammar aunty.

RoyBGood likes this.

18. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2017
    Castle Rock
    3670d0778a697d3f379b957b3edbbcdb.jpg

Whatizitman and RoyBGood like this.

19. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Vintage, Yamaha, Squier and Danelectro, although it's all relative. If you're skint, or penurious, Danelectro can seem expensive.

20. SUPROficial

SUPROficial TDPRI Member

Jul 15, 2009
    canada
    I like this early 60s Teisco for slide playing. Its four pickups are wired in series, instant "Hound Dog Taylor tone" through virtually any amp at any volume when you combine them all and disengage the "bass cut" switch.

teisco.jpg

RoyBGood likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.