Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What are your favorite cheap guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by adamgdog, Apr 2, 2018.

1. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2013
    Luna Louisiana
    Had an Epiphone hummingbird it was great but this feels more solid if that makes sense.

2. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2015
    Kehl
    Gretsch Electromatic Jet Club for 250 Euro (new!)

BoogerRooger likes this.

3. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Holic

Nov 16, 2014
    Albany NY
    About four or five years ago I got two cheap Eko guitars off eBay; the one I wanted was a reissue of an oddball Italian Eko from the 1960s, then I saw they had another that was sorta Stratlike for $99 brand new. I bought both and they turned out to be cool guitars; the Stratlike Kadett is very lively and the neck feels great; it just needed better pickups. Not sure whether they're all like that or if I just lucked out and got a really good one. The other (a Model 700) is just plain strange- unusual neck profile with cross inlays and a quasi-Bigsby vibrato. The top is gold sparkle and the back is silver sparkle.

I named them Delta Echo and Echo Foxtrot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

william tele and magicfingers99 like this.

4. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Meister

May 6, 2018
    Uknown.
    Jay Turser, Rondo, Guitar Fetish, Samick, Keith Urban electrics, And no name guitars off Ebay. :twisted:

5. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2013
    Lancashire UK
    I have a set limit of £250 / $338 I'm prepared to pay for a guitar, I only ever broke that limit once by £14 :eek: for a Suier VM jazzmaster which were £264. but without a shadow of doubt my favourite cheap guitars are 'Harley Benton' guitars, They're outstanding value for money, very nice quality & cheap as chips.:cool:

They are Thomanns inhouse brand of guitars in Germany Europe, their service is second to none (I have no affiliation with them) in fact it's cheaper for me in the UK to order online than go into town to the music store. It costs €8 for P+P and every guitar has arrived in 4 days from Germany, it would cost me more than €8 in petrol to go to town & back.:eek:

I have a bunch of them and every one of them plays and sounds very nice indeed without any problems whatsoever.
    I love them:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oyobass likes this.

6. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have the same Hamer, I paid AUD170 and it sounds incredible

7. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    Takamine G series.. got a solid cedar top for $300.

Epiphone Dot and ES339...those go for about $350-$400 each depending on if you can get them on sale.

8. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    Be best I've come across so far:
    Squire Classic Vibe tele and Epiphone Dot 335. Really great guitars. Really cheap guitars.

9. GEECEE

GEECEE TDPRI Member

Mar 26, 2018
    IndaHouse
    Dunno a lot about all the different makes, but Squiers seem to offer a lot of value for the cost. Got a '95 vintage Squier strat, laminate body for all of $30. Well made, bright pickups, PO finished up the frets. Resonates surprisingly well. It's apart now waiting for me to install a new loaded standard Strat pick guard, mim bridge, block, and tuners. I'll have about $265 in it.

Ditto a Squier standard HSS from a pawn shop for $130. Probably overpaid, but like new. Indonesian. Fit, finish, playability is as good as it gets IMO. Compared to an old Kalamazoo electric from the 60s, what's available now is amazing.

10. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    1526472042566.jpg

I pieced this one together from parts.

Started life as a lower end squire strat I bought for $40 on Craigslist. I think all together it cost $200 total investment, including the original purchase price.

The most expensive part of it was the brass bridge saddles, $85...

Plays and sounds super.

gwjensen likes this.

11. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    like many others have said epiphones up to that price point are always good if you halved the budget id take a squier affinity strat and do a few cheap mods just as I have done. Put a spare fat 50 pickup in the middle and put a pair of Chinese p90s in as well and finally put a tort pickguard I got for £10 (real celluloid was a pleasant surprise).

12. john_humphrey79

john_humphrey79 TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Louisiana
    Damn right man I have a FG800, all I did to it was change the strings and adjust the truss rod a little bit. It has a great sound and looks very nice.

13. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    I have a yammie FG-460S I got new in the early 90s. Still have it, and it's my only acoustic I play regularly. Solid top. Neck is still ok. I've had some fret dressing a few years ago. Canlt remember exactly - maybe had a fret or two replaced, and/or the nut an saddle worked on. That's all, though. Not bad for ~25 years.

Very unique warm and boomy tone. Great for strumming rhythm for singing. Pretty loud, but a little scooped. Not the best for flatpicking. But I can't do that very well, anyway. I might be able to sell for near what I paid. But then I wouldn't have it. And I certainly wouldn't make enough on it to pay for another guitar as good. I will probably be buried with it.

14. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    Just give me a good cheap guitar with good pickups and a good amp and I'm set to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

richiek65, fatcat and gwjensen like this.

15. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2008
    Texas
    Many of the best players I've ever known were playing low budget guitars. Some of the best guitars I have were dirt cheap used, and lower-priced beginner guitars when new. I've also auditioned expensive guitars I wouldn't own at half the price. Cost is a poor prediction of the playability and sound of many guitars.

Didn't Jeff Healey play a Squier Strat?

richiek65 likes this.

16. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 3, 2009
    Suffolk Coast
    I got one because I wanted a guitar with a bolt on neck to take overseas, and humbuckers because the hum is fearsome when I get there. It exeeded my expectations and proved to be nice sounding, great playing guitar.

17. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    Never heard of them.Oh you mean,Squier.:)

18. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    Squier. Had a 60s trib type that was quite good, and a few Tele models I've picked up were also decent.

19. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

My couch plinker, the Gretsch Jim Dandy parlor. About $150. Play it everyday.

[​IMG]

richiek65 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.