Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What are your favorite cheap guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by adamgdog, Apr 2, 2018.

1. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    Yamaha FG & FS series acoustics (have three, one is a 12 string), Recording King acoustics (have two), Alvarez acoustics, Ibanez acoustics (have one), Washburn acoustics (have two).

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    MIC Gretsch Bo Diddley.

60+ years after people first saw that shape, everybody still wrinkles their nose and says “oh, that’s- odd/funny/weird/one of those cigar box guitars right ?”

It’s a go-to gig guitar because it’s neutral-sounding and it stays in tune like it’s welded.

BB and RoyBGood like this.

3. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    If I could keep only one of my guitars, I'd probably go with my $250 Seagull 12-string.

Possibly the best-feeling acoustic I've ever played. Rich, full sound too... maybe lacking a bit of bottom, but shopping around tells me I'd have to go to four figures to improve on the tone.

Runner-up would be my $150 Yamaha P/J bass. I haven't even changed the strings in 15 years, during which it has been recorded countless times. I won't call the sound exceptional, but it's solid in every way and I've certainly got a lot of mileage out of it.

drf64 likes this.

4. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    I got my kids Epiphone acoustics and they've had 'em for years in some cases and when they're about, I like playing them fine.

5. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    I just bought an Alden copy of a metal front Zemaitus. best 400 bucks I've ever spent.

T-bone Ted likes this.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Washburn acoustics from probably the '90s.
    I have two six strings and a twelve, nice quality solid spruce tops and laminated RW back & sides, nice build quality and a sound quality that I could not find improvement on in $3000 guitars.
    Not sure where they were made, they only have a small burned in logo inside along with the headstock inlay. Snakehead style headstock.
    One is a nicely done D28 herringbone copy, really pretty and detailed.

After the first one I looked hard for others like it and found the new models in circa 2002 were not as good, but older examples were remarkable.
    Must have been under $200 used.

7. Guitaryellow

Guitaryellow Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2017
    Kent
    2nd hand Charvette to take me back.

8. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    My CV blonde I got for $299 new in '08. It's still in daily rotation. Just replaced the neck last year instead of doing a complete refret.

9. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    There is a company on Amazon who imports under the ADM (All Day Music) brand, most of their stuff is pretty run of the mill, but the also do a few things that are hard to find in a sub $500 version.
    I have a Selmer style 'Gypsy Jazz' that is about $300 and includes a nice cloth covered foam case, They also do a Ovation Adamas, and a few different Weissenborn's in the same price range. Decent fit and finish, on a par w Epiphone, etc. They get a lot of flack because they need a set up OOTB..mine plays well and sounds good after a few tweaks.

10. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Forgot about those OS OE-20's & OE-30's. Had both. Good for the price, especially the 30. Sold the 20 only because of the thinner LP body. Sold the 30 because it was redundant but in hindsight I should have sold the SX EG6 instead. It is purdier.

11. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Epiphone acoustic AJ-18. $262 out the door many years ago. Basic dread shape with some differences, solid spruce top which was the main thing I wanted, plus sound & playability. It’s the guitar I leave in my cottage from April til December, no attention except a fresh set of D’Addario coated strings each year. It’s always ready, sounds enough like my Gibsons to work, and has been a workhorse.

12. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    This is my wheelhouse!

Epiphone LP Special II - $100. Stayed in tune, solid player. Gigged it a lot.

A Squier '51. $99 from a GC blowout a few years back. Gigged it, still own it, great nodding platform, though mine is still stock.

Seagull acoustic bought used from GC for $200. Great guitar. The only acoustic I own now.

Washburn DN-3. Solid top, ash laminate back and sides. Got it used for $110. Awesome beater acoustic.

Squier M-80: $55 CL find. Needed a setup. If I were to gig or record with it, I would change the pickups. Neck"s a little thin towards the nut for my liking, but a solid guitar.

PRS SE Tremonti: $330 used at GC a couple years back but came with gig bag, extra set of knobs, extra bridge (wraparound on the guitar, Gibson style in the bag), and a cheap cable in the bag.

And I had a Platinum series BC Rich that was around $400 after I sprung for the BC Rich case that I would put up against any similarly priced guitar.

RoyBGood likes this.

13. Sooper8

Sooper8 Tele-Holic

May 24, 2011
    UK- Midlands
    Not every Squire, but many of them are really as good as I need in a guitar.
    You can pick them up for a great price and they play well, and sound good. What more do you need?

14. bonzo898

bonzo898 TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Houston, TX
    E60E48A7-DDB3-49CF-A6F1-D0052B44CD3B.jpeg This Epi Nighthawk I picked up used on CL for $150. Insane deal for a Swiss Army knife guitar that plays like butter, has 3 different pickups and coil tapping. Also another vote for Yamaha FG acoustics, have two of them. C5145520-4DB0-409E-9887-FA8CF64A409D.jpeg

15. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    I paid $60 for a mint/pre-owned Starcaster Strat. I understand them to be made alongside Squiers...?

Either way. I had a $500-600 budget and instead chose this for $60 (Craigslist). I put another $60 into overwound alnico pickups and then another $15 +/- into an Oak Grigsby 4-way switch (b/b+n/m/n). Rewired the tone controls to the G&L PTB setup.

Fretwork is fine. No sharp edges. They do need a polish, but that's easy. Straight neck.

What's to dislike?

At some point I'll install locking Gotoh tuners, a Tusq nut and a Wilkinson VS-100 trem. I'll probably be slightly over $300 when all is said and done and have way more guitar than I could ever get off the rack at a store.

16. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

Feb 25, 2011
    Kentucky
    I wanna see pics of that junior if you've got em. I dig those epi juniors.

17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I'll have to reach out to my drummer and see if he has some...since he's a photographer, he should...:p

18. 68tele

68tele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2003
    East Northport NY
    1992 Wayne's World Squier Strat: the neck on this is sublime - pure Fujigen goodness. $200.

19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    The cool thing about Ibanez is that all of their guitars carry that name - everything from the low-end beginner models to the high-end professional stuff. You're not stuck with the stigma of a bargain brand name (Squier, Epiphone, etc.) if you decide to go cheap. Also, to me it speaks volumes about the quality of their low-end stuff if they're confident enough in it to give it the same branding at their pro-level stuff.

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Here's my 1998 Epiphone LP Jr. I purchased it new at GC that year. From what I gather it was a special edition made for GC.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.