Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What are your favorite cheap guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by adamgdog, Apr 2, 2018.

1. adamgdog

adamgdog Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2017
    Louisville
    What are some of everyone's favorite cheap guitars? Let's set the limit for new $300 or less and used $200 or less. My personal favorites are high end first act guitars or epiphone les Paul and sg specials.

BB likes this.

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    The Rondo SX series ain’t bad.

fatcat, Mr Scallywag, TigerG and 5 others like this.

3. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    Ibanez.

I also like their expensive guitars, and their mid priced guitars.

:)

4. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2017
    Castle Rock
    Squire

Kojer and Fiesta Red like this.

5. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2016
    estados unidos
    Samick Greg Bennets, Jay Tursers, Gretsch electromatics

Kebmel and tintag27 like this.

6. messhead

messhead Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    I love my Skylark (MIJ, the set neck model, not the bolt or the thru neck model) that I got used for under 2 bills. Very cool hippie sandwich with some of those great pseudo Dimarzio pickups of the era.

2blue2 likes this.

7. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    I just got this guy for $200 from guitar center, used obviously. Easily the best 200 I've spent on gear for a CV strat.
    20180319_111831.jpg

gwjensen, brbadg, richiek65 and 4 others like this.

8. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    The Gary Kramer Crusader Limited was going for $250 new, when Gary Kramer Guitars was selling off their online inventory.

That's a guitar that was selling for $750 going for two-thirds off in its final days.

Does that count? I've got one and I love it. And, it cost me under $300 brand new from the manufacturer.

The Crusader Limited:

[​IMG]

9. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

Nov 28, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Life's too short to play cheap guitars.

matrix, BobbyZ, studio1087 and 2 others like this.

10. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Boston/Cape Cod
    My Yamaha FG-335 (Major Tom) is tough to beat... clean tone, low action, great feel. I actually traded away my $2K Taylor 414ce because I always grabbed this one. $175 off Craigslist.

MajorTom.png

Kebmel, DaphneBlue, gwjensen and 4 others like this.

11. adamgdog

adamgdog Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2017
    Louisville
    Life's too short to make enough money to buy expensive guitars.

12. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Epiphone Les Pauls and others
    Squier guitars

13. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    Picked up a Gibson Melody Maker, one of the reissues, for two bills a while back and it's a great guitar. I keep it in open tuning, mostly open E, and use it for slide. Punches way above its weight.

Maxwell Street, Kojer and Flaneur like this.

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Epi EL-00 Pro. Spruce top on sale often below $300. So good, my wife bought the mahogany top version for herself. Even the Fishman pickup and preamp are not to sneer at either. Amazing bluesbox.

BTW, my wife the bass player, has a Gretsch Electromatic Junior Jet 30" scale bass for under $300 new, that has become her goto bass instead of her spendy ones.

Electric guitar? That is how I started and don't think I'll go back to one. Unless Epi puts out another TV yellow double cut LP P-90 Junior.

Guitdrum likes this.

15. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    My drummer's Epiphone Junior.
    Basically a bolt-neck Les Paul Jr, with a single P-90 in the bridge. I've used it on dozens of recordings and a few gigs.

Two of my acoustics--a Fender F250 and a Fender F270CE.
    Great sound, playability and feel--Well above their pedigree...

PhredE and Obsessed like this.

16. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    In that price range, the Squier Affinity Telecaster is tough to beat. I haven't tried the Affinity strat; if it's near as good as the tele, it would be a close second. I played an Affinity tele alongside both Gibson and Epiphone LPs and an Ibanez Artcore for a good long while and it held its ground with pride. I sold it only when a friend's CV white tele came into my hands.

I'm a big fan of Epiphones, too, once they get some TLC on their fretwork and setup, but I find their really bottom-end stuff sort of lifeless. That Affinity, OTOH, was very soulful. Didn't sound exactly like a Fender telecaster, but it sounded great in its own way and was a joy to play. I still sort of miss it, even when I'm playing the CV.

17. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Squier Classic Vibe Line all the way. The lower end Gretsch Models are great. There are some very nice epiphones and lower-end PRS SE, Ibanez, etc. that are great guitars in that price range.

I think when you are buying guitars in that price range, the setup matters more so than anything else.

tintag27, Chicago Matt and flatcat like this.

18. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    I used to have a beater Alvarez acoustic dread that I bought used for $150. From the Regent line? Laminated top, back & sides. Unaffected by heat, cold, humidity, politics, stock market fluctuations. Perfect intonation. As you'd expect, didn't have a big, resonant sound. But, for what it was, the Alvarez sounded fine. Your Basic Guitar.

I used as a somewhat unwieldy travel guitar back in 2000s until too much travel started to beat me down and I began looking for a smaller guitar. Sold the Alvarez for....$150. I picture that guitar getting sold every coupla years for about $150 long after I'm around.

19. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    For an acoustic the Yamahas in the $200 range can't be beat, at least not that I've seen.

john_humphrey79 likes this.

20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    The Yamaha FG700S solid top dread (acoustic). Amazing $199 guitar. The 12 string model is $320; again really nice.

Alvarez makes some solid top acoustics for $300-ish that are great guitars.

Electric.....the Squier Classic Vibes (if you use a coupon online you can almost buy them for $300)

Ibanez has jazz guitars that list at $300 and they are very nice.

RiverDog and Synapse2k like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.