What are your audition 'red flags'

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by briany, May 17, 2019.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Definitely a deal breaker.

But please tell me there's youtube links.

Digital Larry likes this.
  2. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Showing up for an audition in a studio apartment and the guitarist is using a 100 watt Marshall stack and drummer double bass drum set with every tom from 8-18 plus roto toms and a cymbal cornucopia. I excused myself after one song.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah....I'm starting to begin bowing out on a band if the drummer has more than three or four drums, and more than a couple of cymbals......I want to play with Abe Laboriel, Jr.....bass drum, snare , and hi-hat......that's PLENTY of drums for a REAL percussionist! ;)

4. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Any band members girlfriend/boyfriend giving instructions for that matter, unless of course he/shes in the band as well.

5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

under powered amp, can't improv,wont set to kick,wants to turn down,wont headbang off the monitor,no personality, not in shape to make a proper show.mick can do it at 75, why cant you, can i borrow some gas money, asking what days do you practice cause i am in 3 other bands

RoyBGood likes this.
  6. Anacharsis

Anacharsis TDPRI Member

Their originals band: Can't write music, tab, or anything. Want to "show you" how to play every one of their songs - by having you hand one of them your guitar and watch. This happened.

My originals band: Can't read music, tab, or anything. Act as though so long as what they are playing is in the same key and in the same time as the song, they're doing fine, improving the song, or possibly co-writing it. Even if they never play the same thing twice. This also happened.

Digital Larry likes this.
  7. briany

briany Tele-Meister

There are guitarists who can play but don't necessarily know a thing about keys, notes or scales because they learned in a very intuitive way. It's not something you get maybe as much now with tab and tutorials being so freely available. Maybe that's the same thing as a drummer not knowing what a bar is. Or maybe not.

Yeah, if a drummer shows up to audition carrying more drums than they need to play the required style, that is an unpromising development.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Turning up with a relic guitar... instant red flag.

9. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Lots of musical ones here. This one is not.

Regularly shoehorns their political point of view into conversations that are not about politics.

10. nojazzhere

Too many musicians, especially drummers, have this sense of inadequacy if they don't show up with every piece of equipment they own......a guitarist brings three or four guitars to a rehearsal, a bass player brings his SVT rig to a lounge gig, and the drummer wants to rival Neil Peart in their drum setup. I never know if these folks do it for themselves, or how they think other people will perceive them. As a musician, I believe in the KISS principle....Keep It Simple Stupid. If I could get away with using a guitar, a cable, and an amp, I would. As it is, I HAVE to use a few pedals for variety, especially my Mosaic 12-String Emulator, but I'd eliminate that if I could.
    It's kinda the musical equivalent to guys who drive "muscle" cars......;)

11. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

As soon as they ask me to play anything I don't know, I'm questioning how bad I want this gig.

12. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Tattoos have been an enormous fad for approximately a decade. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone with a tattoo.
    Shouldn't be a problem anymore.

13. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

Overplaying. Happens alot.

14. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Forced to play the drummer's originals...

15. Endless Mike

Much of what I'm reading don't seem like red flags, but screaming obvious warning signs. The problem I've run into, or heard others describe, are the instances when there aren't any indicators of a problem, but later you wind up having to deal with issues or finding a replacement.

Ex. 1 - Auditioning a drummer. He shows up, knows all the songs, plays well, isn't loud. Can't count the band in to the tunes, can cue endings solidly. After he'd been in a few months, he starts pressing to play songs he likes, that are completely inappropriate to the style of music the band played. We later lost a very lucrative New Year's eve gig because the club owner caught the drummer getting high in his car (we didn't know he was a put user until that night, and he'd been with us for many months by then)

Ex. 2 - One of the top ten best players in the DFW area. He gets hired every time. But if you weren't plugged into the network, you wouldn't know he's a band jumper. If you hire him, you'll be replacing him within two most at the most. I know this because one, I was plugged into the network, and two, I was hired to replace him on one occasion. He beat me out at the audition, but I was given tapes and told to learn the material as I'd probably be getting a call.

Ex. 3 - Another of the top ten players here in DFW. Was a North Texas jazz program grad, was in the One O'Clock Lab Band (elite of the elite) and won Downbeat magazine's best new talent award one year. He's that good. But, he shows up about fifteen minutes before downbeat, he won't help load in, or load out. At load out, he stands around watching everyone help pack up the PA while waiting to get paid. He has a hard time having the appropriate attire that is in good repair for high level gigs (A rooms, corporate functions, high level outdoor shows, etc). For country gigs in the 90's this was huge. The country A rooms would notice this sort of thing and say something to you about it. He was let go from the *biggest* A room act in Dallas/Fort Worth because his straw hat was brown with sweat, his shirts were worn out, wrinkled and fading. His jeans were faded and often had holes. His boots had the heels worn down. May sound silly to some, but those big rooms expected you to look like George Strait when it came to attire. This was another guy I followed in bands. I wasn't anywhere near his playing ability, but I help load in and out, I dress the part and I stick around for a few years if it's a good gig without any weirdness or problems.

Often, there just isn't any warning.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

This thread is reminding me why I have not been in a hurry to start up my own new band.

17. nojazzhere

I agree with everything you're saying.....BUT!.....it sounds like Dwight Yoakam couldn't pass that dress code, either! ;)

18. Endless Mike

Yeah, that's true. But then Dwight didn't have to deal with the management at Billy Bob's or the Top Rail. At least not at the local working stiff musician level. By the time he played Billy Bob's he could tell them what they would be wearing.

nojazzhere and Telecastoff1 like this.
  19. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Settle down, now!

brookdalebill likes this.
  20. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Being asked to forego any other musical pursuits during an audition for a cover band...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.