Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"What Are You Reading?" [Reloaded]

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Anchoret, Oct 11, 2011.

1. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2004
    Newly Indiana
    GK Chesterton - The Ballad of the White Horse

2. adkima00

adkima00 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 27, 2012
    Rereading the Harry Potter series. Just finished Goblet of Fire. I may put a pause on this and read the screw tape letters by CS Lewis.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

3. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    Just finished Killing Jesus and just started Greg Allman's book. Not a big fan of Greg but it's pretty interesting so far, different from other musicians books because he is so Southern.

4. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2012
    UK
    Good for you, my friend, and thanks for your post.

I've been reading Joyce's works for nearly twenty years now, and Finnegans Wake is the last item on the list. I've been reading large chunks of it for many years, but this is my first readthrough from start to finish in sequence. I'm three chapters from the end, and one of these days I'm going to finish it.

For the most part I've found it hard work, lightened by the recurrent flashes of humour, enchanting writing and encyclopaedic genius. I haven't enjoyed it nearly as much as Ulysses, which is still the best (and funniest) book I've read.

I'm looking forward to being able to pick it up and look at any page and locate myself in the text and enjoy brief readings like I do with Ulysses now.

I'm not quite the "ideal reader suffering from an ideal insomnia" that Joyce was looking for, and in sum I don't think anybody really has the time available that this book demands in order to get the best out of it.

5. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    I'm reading Laurent Fignon's autobiography. One of my favourite sportsmen.

6. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

Nov 24, 2006
    SoCal
    Yeah, it'd be the ideal "desert island for a lifetime" book---between recursiveness and one's own accumulation of experience (and detritus), once you've finally finished it and began it again, you'd see enough new stuff that you'd be reading anew a different Wake.

7. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD

8. idjster

idjster Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Reading "Escape from Berlin" by Irene N. Watts and re-reading "Backstage Passes and Backstabbing Bastards", all while listening to Satriani's "Unstoppable Momentum". :D

Attached Files:

9. djdeacon

djdeacon Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    +1. Fabulous read. The movie isn't bad, but the protaganist should've been someone like Leslie Howard, not Peter Lorre.

10. 68 Shovelhead

68 Shovelhead Tele-Afflicted

Dec 1, 2008
    Seattle
    Pete Townshend - Who am I

Needed something to read for a lengthy business flight, pretty interesting

11. SwampFuzz

SwampFuzz Tele-Holic

Melville's Moby Dick

12. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2004
    Canada
    From a previous post here I requested that our local library get "Satan is Real, the ballad of the Louvin Brothers". Great, great read.

13. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2012
    UK
    I'm having one of my many breaks from Finnegans Wake to read Morrissey's Autobiography. It's very enjoyable so far. He has some particularly vengeful things to say about his schooldays. I wish he wouldn't use present tense narration so much, though. I thought the man was a lover of literature...

I think the cover is hilarious:

[​IMG]

14. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Feb 24, 2005
    FL
    Halfway through. Very interesting so far, if you're from my generation and grew up with Johnny Carson each night. The author, Henry Bushkin, Johnny's lawyer and confidant ("Bombastic Bushkin" from many a monologue) paints himself as a saint, so I'm taking some of it with a grain of salt.

[​IMG]

15. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2008
    45 south
    [​IMG]

Kindle ebook from Amazon, a little pricey but entertaining

16. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    "the teachings of Don Juan..A Yaqui way of Knowledge" I reread this series every so often....

17. José

José Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2008
    paris
    Kaputt, Curzio Malaparte

18. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

It has something to offend anyone!

[​IMG]

20. NankerPhelge

NankerPhelge Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2009
    Littlehampton, UK
    About a quarter of the way through this, which has been on my list for a few decades.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.