Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"What Are You Reading?" [Reloaded]

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Anchoret, Oct 11, 2011.

1. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    michigan
    God Has A Plan For Your Life - Dr. Charles Stanley

2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD

3. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD

4. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD

5. Deacon Blue

Deacon Blue Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Waxahachie, Tx.
    "The Cthulhu Mythos" by H. P. Lovecraft

6. SpiderWeb

SpiderWeb Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]
    "Unbroken..." - Lauren Hillenbrand

7. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2005
    N. Cal.
    Devil in the Grove (Gilbert King, author). Won the Pulitzer this year.

8. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    We just went to France on vacation and so took France themed books: The Three Musketeers, Alan Furst's Mission to Paris, The Iron King by Maurice Druon (first book in a series set in 14th century France), and picked up Terry Pratchett's Dodger at the airport before we came back.

The Three Musketeers is very entertaining. (I got Dumas' Queen Margot for my wife and she likes it.) Mission to Paris hasn't hooked me like Furst's other books. The Iron King is just adequate historical fiction. Patrick O'Brian is just too tough an act to follow.

9. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    The Liberation Triology by Rick Atkinson.

The epic story of the liberation of Europe in WWII.

I read the 3rd volume first, the 1st volume second, and the 2nd volume third.

Funny, but I already know the ending. ;)

Atkinson had access to ULTRA, which many previous authors had never heard of, and of those that had heard of it, they couldn't talk about it. eg Patton, Bradley, and Eisenhower.

They are specialized, but good reads.

10. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    I read that a couple of months ago. I didn't know he had ULTRA access. Very interesting. Before reading that, I didn't know anything about the invasion of southern France.

11. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Feb 24, 2005
    FL
    The first fiction I've read in decades. It started out like a bad episode of 'Heroes', but halfway in it has become quite good.

[​IMG]

12. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Last couple weeks & sometimes simultaneously:

Attached Files:

13. Thorby Bislam

Thorby Bislam Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    [​IMG]
    Found this in a second-hand book shop. It has a stamp on it that says Euclid Public Library. A quick search told me that Euclid is a town in Ohio, America. Somehow it ended up in a small town in England many years later where it was bought by me for £2.

It's a compilation of interviews made by various country stars with a reporter called Alanna Nash. All the interviews date back to the 1970s and early 1980s, so it's like a time capsule. It's fascinating to read the words of people like Chet Atkins and Tom T Hall at the height of their careers. Sometimes it's a little poignant, such as when Rosanne Cash and Rodney Crowell talk about how much they admire and love the other when you know how things turned out. Or Steve Earle being interviewed right after Guitar Town was released. How excited and enthusiastic he sounds before he did his best to destroy himself. A totally brilliant find.

14. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Sleepers, by Lorenzo Carcaterra. My daughter, who's a bit of a reader, says it's her favorite book. It won't be mine, but I can see why she likes it so much.

15. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2012
    UK
    Still battling through Finnegans Wake. I must be mad.

[​IMG]

16. Dep

Dep Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2006
    St Johns, Florida
    I just finished Stephen King's Doctor Sleep. Of a lot of his recent work, I think this ranks pretty high. I thought it was pretty dang good!

Dep

17. bobsway

bobsway Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2012
    Erie, Pa, USA
    Mark Twain --- Life On the Mississippi

18. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

Nov 24, 2006
    SoCal

Man, I literally;) adore FW---written as a recursive excursion through Earth-bound time and space (exterior and interior), it's a Berlitz of our consanguinate species from proto- to post-.

To/for me, the best way to approach it is always to read it aloud (when you hear what he's doing, you'll understand better what things he's saying as well as the ludic nature of the work)---and the more/harder you listen, the more you'll hear. Reading it that way will also remind you that he was a poet as well as an novelist (and an author of short stories and an essayist, and a lecturer, and a monologist---it's all in FW). It's all quite glorious.

Also, it's okay to read it in small doses and for you to skip through it (like jumping from puddle to pool to pond) and/or let it wash over you (riverrun), to swim in and dive through the collective unconscious of all the generations.

Remember what he famously said about it taking 17 years for him to write it? That he expected his audience to take 17 years to read it. He may have been joking... seriously.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.