Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What are you practicing this week?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Jules78, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    Im practicing my speed and mode knowledge running through exercises that shift through the major scale modes. Im also trying to get my speed up on a descending 5 note pentatonic Eric Johnson style lick. Still working on learning a dire straits song. I work on finding triads as it helps with my fretboard memory. Finally I am working on my note recognition skills by singing notes to pitch and checking em on my guitar. I break my practice time up and devote 15-30 minutes to each concept.

Sounds Good likes this.

2. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Been working on soloing with Mixolydian, Dorian, Minor Pents, and just a touch of flat 5ths, all mashed up together until the muscle memory finally kicks in and they are faster and automatic. See if this old Duck can learn new tricks.

Jules78 and MDent77 like this.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Forum member Klasaine's Ted Greene short lessons.

4. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    Arpeggio's.

Jules78 and dr_tom like this.

5. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    Practicing PA setup. Seems like every time I bring it back from a gig I spend a week tweaking it. Including the guitar amp sound.

6. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    Some fingerstyle playing on my acoustic. My daughter's school is having an assembly tomorrow, and some of the parents are musicians who will be demonstrating different instruments. One is studio musician who works for Sony, another plays in the symphony orchestra in Yokohama. Normally I would not not imagine performing in the same room as people like these, and I have been practicing a lot so as not to sound too bad.

Jules78 and oldgofaster like this.

7. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Trying to learn songs by ear, at least the chord progression anyhow. After pushing through for a while I am better than I thought I was at it. Also playing different voicings of chords and partial chords.

Jules78 and Sounds Good like this.

8. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Carols.

OlRedNeckHippy and dr_tom like this.

9. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Meister

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I put up a thread about using a capo with an electric guitar yesterday. I've been practicing with it using it to re-voice chords for a few songs. It's harder than I thought. I'm not using the capo to change key. I'm using it to change voicing and timbre. This will require some work. I'm an engineer during the day and I find this to be much more mentally challenging than my day job.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.

10. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    trying to arrange a chord melody version of wichita lineman, which oddly has led to playing bass lines on my archtop to pandora jazz-guitar channel

11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Playing my band's set list and jamming to some of my favorite winter CDs. Just found my old Rush Hemispheres and Jethro Tull's Aqualung. Man what great albums, lots of fun to jam along with.

12. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Bunch of Chuck Berry tunes - Carol, Nadine, etc. plus working on better rhythm playing while singing - adding fills, not looking down, etc.

troy2003 likes this.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I am working on quite the list right now as the days get shorter.

Yet another Robert Johnson song note for note. Standard tuning. One RJ song a year is my motto.:p
    A hybrid picking version of, "Paint It Black" with the sitar sound included. Just about nailed.
    Open E "Gimme Shelter" ... Keefer's part.

Yeah, okay, a fingerpickin' version of, "Carol of the Bells".:rolleyes::lol: A set of background Xmas coffee shop gigs is in the works, but kinda hoping for next year at this point.:oops:

An open D original on the new reso. It is friggin' cool.
    A few bassline backing tracks for originals that I am recording.

I'm just about to give up on the Jorma's Hot Tuna version of Rev. Gary Davis', "Death Have No Mercy". I am clearly missing something in my DNA.:mad::(

Sounds Good likes this.

14. Clifford1

Clifford1 TDPRI Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Kansas
    I’m working on major scale and minor scale stuff with swapping between the two. Also need to expand my chord knowledge.

15. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Funkin' around. Got to tighten up the band, and to do that my own timing needs to be a lot tighter.

16. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth
    Chord/Melody arrangements of My Funny Valentine and I've Grown Accustomed To Your Face.

oldgofaster likes this.

17. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Have a gig this Saturday, a sold out gig with many of the best Chicago musicians getting up and doing a couple of songs by various artists. It’a a gig where you want to make a good impression. I came up with two pretty complex guitar arrangements of Mel Torme tunes to play as accompaniment for a singer. Both of the arrangements were based on recordings that have either little or no guitar, so I am replicating the entire orchestral arrangement on guitar. Working solely on those two arrangements.

18. schnulli

schnulli Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2010
    Germany
    Fingerpicking country blues: Charley Patton's "Down The Dirt Road Blues"("34 Blues").

Seems to be one of Patton's "easier" numbers, but some cool licks in there, so worth the effort.

:)

JL_LI likes this.

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Two weeks to get it down pat for our punk show with Digibot and Mhos and Ohms

20. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    I have been working on Eric Johnson as well, that hybrid picked lick in the intro then it is played again towards the end of the song.

I dont do it hybrid myself i cant do it that way, so i need to skip the strings cleanly, and in time it is just thoose two top skips on the D string that get me, because i have tiny fingers so need to release the bar on the high e string a little but will get it in the end just needs time i suppose.

That is good practise what you are doing btw! i find going down the strings is hardest towards the high e string, when covering loads of notes on all six strings and also picking each one clean many use legarto, also that 5 note one you mention is good practise is played at around 12 nps btw.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Jules78 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.