Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What are the best guitars for small hands - tele or non-tele?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hugo, Feb 6, 2008.

1. berzirk

berzirk TDPRI Member

Aug 11, 2008
    new jersey
    I have a lot of experience with this one. As a small handed player, I have always found a Gibson neck easier because of the scale b/w frets. However, I do love the sound of strats and teles. Warmoth makes a conversion neck which is basically a Gibson scale neck that will retrofit onto a Fender guitar. While I have small hands, I still find that I prefer a thicker profile ('59 Roundback) as I believe my hand actually fatigues less than with a thinner neck profile. I think (especially for rhythm playing) the fatter profile allows you to more easiy apply pressure to the strings with the "meat" of your hand verses a thinner profile. I have uilt two guitars with conversion necks, and both came out great.
    Happy hunting.

2. tboy

tboy Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2007
    Chicago Area
    Same thing here. I had one of those 3 pup Lennon style Ricks. It's a shorter scale guit, but sounded amazing, great ring, and it could get fat if you needed it. Had to sell it because of the small neck, and always thought it would be a really great axe for a small handed player.

3. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    A Jaguar is also short scale (24").

4. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2009
    not here
    I have small hands for a big guy my guitars are..
    Duo Sonic RI (Like this one alot)
    Daisy Rock Retro H semi hollow(Discontinued ;VERY narrow neck.. fun to play but different the pick ups (GFS Mini Birds?) will knock you on your ...:p)
    First Act 222 (bulky neck but has flat board & is not bad)

The PV 15 is a fun guitar..as mentioned VERY flat neck.

Old Hagstoms with the "King" neck were super narrow.

Small bodied Gibson acoustics (LG's etc) were quite narrow, a budget reissue is avaible in the mass market "Maestro" line not a bad little guitar for under $100

5. berzirk

berzirk TDPRI Member

Aug 11, 2008
    new jersey
    Good point tele12. Never owned one. Would the neck fit a tele or strat pocket?

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

No. As in OMG!! no.

You're gonna have severe intonation and tuning problems, trying to switch 24 and 25.5 scale necks and bodies back and forth. The neck pocket would have to be moved back or the bridge forward or both. Do a search for "Jaguar HH" and you will find a detailed thread explaining how badly this gums things up.

Maybe you could buy an aftermarket "conversion" 24 scale neck, custom measured out to compensate for the neck pocket being in the wrong location.

I've always seen my hands as small, Certainly my fingers are small, compared to my hand and thumb. Unless you have the hands of the average 9-11 year old, you should be able to find a 25.5 scale neck that you can adapt to. When you shorten the scale of a Tele (IMO) even to 24.75 you lose the essence of what a Tele even is. Short scale it and you might as well play a Duo-Sonic.

7. berzirk

berzirk TDPRI Member

Aug 11, 2008
    new jersey
    Boris
    I am a fan of the warmoth conversion necks. I built a tele and a strat using these, and they came out great.

8. guitarman823

guitarman823 Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2007
    Texas
    The new mim teles are the most comfortable I've ever played on. I like mine better than my Highway 1. For over-all comfort with my size hands though, I'd say a strat. I just can't the spank out of it, so I stick to my teles.

9. KCLefty

KCLefty Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2009
    Douglassville, PA
    My Gibson ES335 had the smallest/thinnest neck of any guitar I ever played also the nicest action. That's why I let it go after owning it all these years. My hands are just too big to get comfortable with that neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.