Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What Allen Wrench Size?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Soupy1957, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Soupy1957

Soupy1957 TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Connecticut
    On the Telecaster Deluxe 72 Re-issue model, what Allen Wrench size is the technically correct size, for the Micro Tilt opening (presuming it IS in fact, an Allen Head Set Screw), on the back plate where the neck meets the body?

-Soupy1957

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    If ya need Allan Wrenches, take your guit to a Ace Hardware, you can buy one of whatever size you need for a few cents... getcha a few spares, so when you drop the little booger, and it bounces over between the carpet and the base board, and you never see it again, you have a back up.

Ron Kirn

3. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Buy yourself two sets of Allen wrenches .......... one SAE and one metric......... their cheap.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Marc Rutters

Marc Rutters Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

If your the only one gona touch em get 1 sae and one metric, if anyone else has access to your tools get a cheap set of each for decoys and hide your good ones.

6. Soupy1957

Soupy1957 TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Connecticut
    Thanks for all the advice..........but NONE of you answered the question.......what size is it?

-Soupy1957

7. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Here's an Exploded view...I think it's 1/8"...but I don't have one in the Shop to check for certain....Best I could do for now.

[​IMG]

8. Soupy1957

Soupy1957 TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Connecticut
  9. LeDocteur

LeDocteur Tele-Meister

Oct 20, 2009
    PA
    From the Fender webpage...

SHIMMING/MICRO-TILT™ ADJUSTMENT

Shimming is a procedure used to adjust the pitch of the neck in relation to the body. A shim is placed in the neck pocket, underneath the butt end of the neck. On many American series guitars, a Micro-Tilt adjustment is offered. It replaces the need for a shim by using a hex screw against a plate installed in the butt end of the neck. The need to adjust the pitch (raising the butt end of the neck in the pocket, thereby pitching the neck back) of the neck occurs in situations where the string height is high and the action adjustment is as low as the adjustment will allow.

To properly shim a neck, the neck must be removed from the neck pocket of the body. A shim approximately 1/4" (6.4 mm) wide by 1 3/4" (44.5 mm) long by .010" (0.25 mm) thick will allow you to raise the action approximately 1/32" (0.8 mm). For guitars with the Micro-Tilt adjustment, loosen the two neck screws on both sides of the adjustment access hole on the neckplate by at least four full turns. Tightening the hex adjustment screw with an 1/8" hex wrench approximately 1/4 turn will allow you to raise the action approximately 1/32". Retighten the neck screws when the adjustment is complete. The pitch of the neck on your guitar has been preset at the factory and in most cases will not need to be adjusted.

Note: If you feel that this adjustment needs to be made and you're not comfortable doing it yourself, take your guitar to your local Fender Authorized Dealer.

10. ringodingo

ringodingo Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2008
    Vancouver BC
    My Tele neck has a the MICRO-TILT™ ADJUSTMENT. I needed to know the hex wrench or allen key size. I'm glad I searched for this topic. Thank you.

11. candybluecrook

candybluecrook Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2010
    Groves TX
    If its like my strat, the same allen wrench u use for ur truss is the one for the micro tilt. Actual size idk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.