Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

What actually is the best delay pedal for slapback???

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by krapyajleinad, Sep 11, 2011.

1. krapyajleinad

krapyajleinad Former Member

I hate pedals because every one that I bought I would enjoy some for at most several hours, and then develop an utter dislike for them and sell em off (including a Timmy that I bought directly from a dealer) as I'm assuming for my reasoning, is that they color or have too much of a distinct tone; so I prefer to go straight into the amp. Well I want to get some slapback rockabilly stuff into my playing and looked into the old "best delay" threads. My noggin began to overload after going through one of them. I want something simple and durable (so no Danelectro stuff?) that I won't sell after an hour usage. Ive never used them but the Ibanez Ad-9, Boss Dm-2/3, and the carbon copy seems to be definite candidates. So what do you guys think is the best delay pedal for slapback? And also on the sidenote, for the users, how do you guys like your Durham Sex Drive for a clean boost and compressor; seems like killing two birds with one stone? Thanks!

2. getbent

getbent Telefied

I've probably got 10 or 12 delays... in the end, I come back to the DD3.

I have some great ones too... some popular ones.. nothing wrong with them, but, the dd3 is cheap, does what you need and no one will ever come up and complain.. and you can replace it pretty much any day of the week.

3. JBOWLES

JBOWLES Tele-Meister

The best pedal I've found for slapback delay is by far the Aqua Puss. It adds a little to the delayed signal that just sounds great to me. True bypass and 100% analog, set it and forget it kind of pedal. That's is the only delay I've ever stuck with.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Guitarmang6730

Guitarmang6730 Tele-Meister

6. blargfromspace

blargfromspace Tele-Afflicted

Pretty much any delay will do slapback. IMO its the other longer stuff and the quality of the repeats that makes and breaks a good delay. I'd advise trying an Aqua Puss out before you buy one, I wish I had. Good for slapback, but it'll do nothing else. Compare it to a really cheap analog delay and I bet you'd have a hard time picking the AP one out. I couldn't. Best thing about the AP is that due to all the hype it you can sell it for what you paid for it.

The Sex Drive is fantastic. Really expensive, but really good. Mine has been a constant fixture for about 5 years and hasn't missed a beat. I don't use the compressor bit of it.

Also, maybe try some Ritalin, if you get sick of things so quick :mrgreen:

7. gtrpkr

gtrpkr TDPRI Member

Delay Pedal

The DD-3 Delay is the best I have found. It works well with no problems.

8. coldwar1977

coldwar1977 Tele-Meister

Belcat DLY-503 is dirt cheap and sounds great for slapback.

9. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

Of the many delays i have tested/owned i love my Carl Martin Delayla XL for good 'ol slap back.
    Saying that, i feel this one will be even better at slap back (and yes, i WANT one) :

PSYCHOPLEX - tapeless tape echo

10. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

Strymon El Capistan for slap-back.

11. sjhusting

sjhusting Tele-Afflicted

I use a TC Electronics Flashback on the 'tape' setting. It has a 'slapback' setting, but I prefer the sound of the tape. One thing I like about it is the undelayed signal is sent directly through without detouring through the circuitry so the undelayed tone is spot on. All the other stuff is fun (reverse echo is cool for playing along with 66-67 Beatles tunes) but for me the bread and butter is the slapback.

I had a Dano fab echo which did a great analog slapback for $15 but robust it ain't.

The El Capistan is great but pricey if you just want slapback.

steven

12. Skyler P

Skyler P TDPRI Member

3rd vote for Aqua Puss.
    Also check out the Swollen Pickle from Way Huge as well.
    The favorite of all my pedals and by far the most tones from a fuzz I have ever come across.

13. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

BUGGER, I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THIS UNDERRATED UNIT :

Do check it out !!!

14. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

aqua puss MKII for sure. there is so much in that one quick repeat for slapback. the AP has a springy snap to it that feels amazingly interactive. nothing i've heard touches it.

15. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

i use a wampler analog echo. and it's great!!

16. krapyajleinad

krapyajleinad Former Member

Thanks to all of you. Though I am sure the Aqua Puss is one of the best options available for slapback, but from what blargfromspace said, it sucks at pretty much everything else; and though this is entirely unlikely, I might find myself needing to use the delay for other usage, just in case. So I guess the DD-3 is what I should go for or as I found the DD-7, which is the same pedal that has more options, which may or not benefit me. The other pedals such as the Psychoplex seems cool too, and I will definitely check them out. Thanks again.

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Going on 11 years with a Boss DD3 I play classic country and rockabilly and occasional Elvis '50's tribute shows and this pedal with just a little OD in front has always done a great job- I have a few different slapback settings (depending upon music style) and i have always thought I got a pretty warm tone (Fender amps;)!)

18. Psyclone

Psyclone Tele-Meister

Another DD3 user here. No complaints or desire for something different.

19. JBOWLES

JBOWLES Tele-Meister

I had a DD3 for a while. It was good, but I didn't like the clarity of digital and the fet switching was not great for my setup. Many people like them and have no problem at all. For me, analog and true bypass are just better. Boss is good quality though.

20. reverb11

reverb11 TDPRI Member

I like my 80's BOSS DM-2. I just use it for slapback--but make sure that you get the power supply right (the modern PSA style adapters and "daisy-chains" don't give it enough juice).

21. ghall

ghall Tele-Meister

Danelectro BLT!!

It's a dirt cheap pedal! I have an MXR Carbon Copy that I love, and it is pretty good for slap back. But if I want to sound just like Scotty Moore, nothing I have ever tried sounds closer than that little plastic piece of crap Dano. It is a one trick pony, but for the price one trick is enough! (Just don't step on it too hard!:D)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.