What’s your favourite breed of dog?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Frank'n'censed, Jun 13, 2019.

1. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Rotten retriever sounds like a good mix. Do you happen to have any photos?

DHart likes this.
  2. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I (and my vet) agree with the choice of mixed breeds for intelligence, temperament, and minimizing the many health complications that are associated with so many of the pure bred dogs.

Unfortunately, the AKC and breeders, due to their strict adherence to producing dogs with very specific characteristics, have in-bred so much that many breeds have become something of a nightmare, health-wise. Such a severe degree of in-breeding is not natural and not healthy for the dogs.

Golden Retrievers have long been among the best (and most popular) breeds one can have, for a large dog, but unfortunately, the breed has developed a relatively high incidence of cancer - shortening the lives of many Goldens. There are many other tightly-bred breeds which have characteristic health problems associated with their breeds, as well.

Dogs with extremely short snouts have become popular for "that look" and also known as "brachycephalic breeds" for their tendency to develop breathing problems from such a short snout. It's unfortunate for the dogs and for the owners (veterinary expenses).

Thus, a great many of the mixed-breeds, mutts, mongrels, whatever you want to call them, emerge as being relatively healthy, smart, and problem-free. Rescues and mutts are a great choice!

When our vet examined our Staffordshire Terrier/Australian Heeler mix puppies, he told me that they would likely be the best, most trouble free dogs we've ever had. We're hoping he's right. And for them to have long, healthy lives... right by our sides.

[​IMG]

3. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

''Technically, it's a cat - and therefore a waste of time.'' (Ron Swanson, Parks & Recreation).

Greggorios and AAT65 like this.
  4. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

Our little girl Amber will be 11 this coming September and she's a Cavoodle which is part toy poodle and King Charles Spaniel. So I call her "Princess Amber of Mandurah" and I'm her Butler. My wife is the boss and whatever she says Amber will do, but if I try giving her orders she completely ignores me. But we both love her to bits.
    Amber before.jpeg

We both love all dogs and have had a few before including Gunner a Dingo/Bully cross. He was a rescue dog that was found on an Army shooting range near Perth Western Australia that's how come I called him Gunner he was a beautiful looking dog and not afraid of anything or anyone but he would not go for anyone unless I told him to attack and that was only once when while on our morning walk. I saw a guy beating his German Shepard with a walking stick. I shouted at him to stop beating the poor animal and he shouted back he would effin' beat me once he'd finished with his dog. So I told Gunner to attack and he did and hit the guy in the throat and he went down and could hardly breathe. I took his walking stick and Gunner stood by me until the guy got up, but he was finished. I told him if I ever saw him beat that dog again I would shove his walking stick up his *** and turn him into the first human lollipop. Yes Gunner was Attack Trained the Vet pointed out a little tattoo in Gunners ear that just said A.T. I had to have him put down many years later because he suffered that Hip Displacia that German Shepard's get and it was a hard thing to do but I couldn't see him in pain.. S

Shuster, Skydog1010, Nubs and 6 others like this.
  5. highgreenchilly

highgreenchilly TDPRI Member

No love for English Springer Spaniels? Great dogs - loyal, loveable, athletic.

Shuster, teletimetx, DekeDog and 4 others like this.
  6. Chinacat

Chinacat TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

This is Otis - a red cattle dog mix (with goodness knows what). Very bright and very strong willed. And a superb companion. Much missed.

[​IMG]

And Jasmine. Some sort of Foxy mix. We're in love.

[​IMG]

And Rory who is apparently an American Staffy. Daft as a brush, super intelligent

[​IMG]

7. simond

simond Tele-Meister

No words needed! IMG-20190522-WA0001.jpg

8. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

:lol::lol::lol: ...great pics.

natec likes this.
  9. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

We let the cat make the decisions around here. She is pretty good with our personal finances, but has decided there will be no dog for us.

Chinacat likes this.
  10. d barham

d barham Tele-Meister

A59FD2F7-0975-460D-8C15-42AF4A9AB707.jpeg Betty is a blue heeler/border collie cross. She’s smart, loyal and the best friend a guy could have.

Recce, Shuster, Skydog1010 and 8 others like this.
  11. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Meister

20190531_085701.jpg 20190131_133124.jpg 20190124_181341.jpg Westie, followed by Cairn and Yorkie.

12. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

Rhodesian Ridgeback

Shuster and 6stringcowboy like this.
  13. fnkmstr

fnkmstr TDPRI Member

DC56A03D-5CD0-48F3-A8F5-47C6166E16A7.jpeg

14. newrider1969

newrider1969 Tele-Holic

Love em all! Just lost my best friend a month ago and cant handle posting a picture of him at this time.

Shuster likes this.
  15. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

Jaxon and me...

Attached Files:

rad1, Shuster, brookdalebill and 5 others like this.
  16. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

Corgi - And all types of young rescue pups!

Shuster, Chinacat and Honest Charley like this.
  17. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

Sorry for your loss, I hate that pain.

Shuster and newrider1969 like this.
  18. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

Any dog with webbed feet, and especially, Golden Retrievers and English Springer Spaniels.

In my experience, dogs with webbed paws (e.g. Setters, Retrievers, Spanials, Pointers) instinctively take to water, and therefore, are easily exercised (if you live near water), they seem to be smarter (except for Irish Setters, haha), happier, sociable, and very loyal.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Skydog1010 and teletimetx like this.
  19. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

German Shepherds have always been my favorite. I had 2 that were just fantastic family dogs. My Great Dane, Jake has surpassed or at least have matched, out of respect for their memories. He is just all around a great dog. The bigger the dog the bigger the love. Dj and Jake.jpg Jake Jun 2019-1.png IMG_0092.JPG

20. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

My oldest daughter has a couple of German Shepherds, Winter and Lily, and my youngest daughter has a Great Dane, aptly named "Fezzik." (Bonus points for knowing that reference.) Winter kind of imprinted/bonded with my daughter and tolerates the rest of us. Lily is a cuddle bug. And Fezzik is not even a year old yet, but, yeah, big lovable and loving brute. Lily and Fezzik both love my beagle Bella.

Jim622 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.