What’s your favorite reliable combo amp for <$1K?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JBFatFingers, May 19, 2019.

1. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Yup.

2. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Another plug for the Blues Cube (Stage in my case). Excellent amp, that does what I need, reliable and easy to move.

3. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

A SF Princeton Reverb.

4. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

65' Deluxe Reverb reissue..been a strong amp since day one..even better after I warmed up the bias..second is my Vox AC10...very reliable and only a delay pedal added in..thirdly...my new Pro Jr IV...still breaking in the speaker on that one..

5. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

A Blackstar Club 40 MKII will run you a hair over 700 . I really like mine .The MKII HT 20 is a pretty awesome little package too. I like it a little better than the 40. Both are master volume, essentially 4 channel, 2 channel but they both have two voices, both amps also switch down, the 40 goes to 4, the 20 to 2. Plus the usual reverb and EFX loop if that helps

41144 likes this.
  6. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Supro Saturn Reverb, Fender DRRI (65), Roland Cube 60.

7. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

I'd agree with this. I owned a Katana 100 and it really truly was great. I got good tones out of it and it has just about anything you could need. The ability to drop it to 0.5w is really useful for your application. Plus they aren't really heavy. It really was a great amp and cut through really nice. I'll just be truthful and say i'm a tube snob at heart and couldn't let my one amp not be a tube. Definitely a fault of mine.

DugT likes this.
  8. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If you are a set on TOOB, then the HRD IV is great. It is my number 1 gig amp. 40 watts. Loud. Clean channel is all Fender. Drive channel is great. Both are very dynamic. Having a mid knob that works on the clean and dirty channel, in a Fender, is also great.

This package allows me to bring it to any gig and know I can get a great tone that I love. 40lbs for 40watts of clean tube amp if need be, is a real nice package. Believe me, I’ve tried everything (vintage, modern, MV, no MV, big amp, small amp, SS) and it’s the first amp that makes me totally happy and stopped me from looking for other live amps - because it does just what I need in basically any venue.

It can get pretty good sounds at home volume. But not great. Way better for home than my ‘65 DRRI (which is my other main amp, and I use only for the band, and only when I know how loud the band/room will be). If I can get the DRRI into it’s sweet spot (4.5-7 on the volume) it’s great. But it can be too loud or too quiet for the room, so I tend to favor the HRD. I don’t like to use a ton of pedals and only have one overdrive for solos.

My suggestion would be to get a MicroCube or Champion 20 for home and grab a HRD IV the band, stay under your $1k limit and be happier at home than you would be trying to make a real live gig amp be a great home amp as well.

JBFatFingers likes this.
  9. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I'm surprised no one has suggested the Genz Benz Black Pearl 30. It's an EL-84 Vox type. It was meant to go up against Matchless and Bad Cat, etc. It has serious flexibility. It has a five position knob that restructures the voicing of the amp. It doesn't traditional Vox sounds and then some.

They can often be found in good shape between 600.00 and 800.00. I picked up mine in near mint for 700.00. It would have been dead mint, but the handle in coming apart.

Comes stock with an Eminence Red Fang alnico speaker. All the reviews drool over the darn thing.

10. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Blues Junior

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.