What’s the best modeling amp that doesn’t....

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Chip, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

need to be plugged into a computer or outside effect source?

I just want an amp with good built in effects. It’s not that I’m computer illiterate but I don’t want the added hassle of computer updating an amp.

I’d like to be able to plug in and stack up effects and play.

I only play at home so it doesn’t need to be huge. I’m thinking something under $350

So, what say you?

2. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I also wish most modelers didn't need to be plugged into a computer.

The Fender Mustang GT Series can do everything onboard without using a computer, GT40 $279 ,GT100 $349.

Chip likes this.
  3. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Yamaha THR100HD. It does have the functionality to be tweaked with a computer, but frankly straight out of the box that amp has got a great sound and it plays well within a band situation. I only have a compressor pedal going into the front end of the amp; everything is set and forget, and any stuff that happens on the fly is done with the footswitch.

Zepfan, kelnet and brookdalebill like this.
  4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Marshall Code 100 head that, while it can be plugged into a computer, it does not need to be. It can be controlled completely by the front panel, including stacking effects. I've had it for a couple of weeks and have been tinkering with it, and just the JCM 800 model alone is worth the price of the amp.

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

None of the modelers on the market 'need' to be plugged into a computer to access most functions, but software editors are a feature that many people really like so they become a selling point.

6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

If you don't need something that compete with a full band in volume the answer is VERY clear - Yamaha THR10 series. I have the THR10C. Everything is accessible using the knobs on the front, there is no LCD, and it sounds great. I have never plugged into my computer though I know you can. I only ever use the AC30 sound for crunchiness and BF Deluxe sound for cleaner stuff. There is reverb, basic delay, echo, chorus / flanger / phaser (only one at a time) - it's plenty of choices for me though. Cheap, takes headphones, doubles as a boombox, can operate on batteries if you want - you just can't go wrong. I paid less than $200 for mine. I'm about to go use it for an hour or so right now. It's my "headphones / wife is sleeping" amp although I often play it unplugged too. Actually I want to get another one for the office....

kelnet likes this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

A Roland Cube 80X, 80XL, or 80GX would get my vote.
    They’re discontinued, but still my favorites.
    I like the XL best.

8. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the responses guys!

Looks like I have a little research to do.

Keep the ideas coming :)

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Super Champ X2. You hook it once to set the mids if you want, for the rest it is plug and play. Great sounds. I have a THR10 which I like very much, and a Mustang I which is a great practice amp, but for home use the best I’ve had was my SCX2.

NB: footswitching possibilities are pretty limited. The optional FS allows you to switch channel and to turn all FX you select pn the knob (e.g. RVB + DLY) on or off. That’s still more than you get on the THR10 and Mustang I :D

Djentleman Dan likes this.
  10. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

Fender Mustang III v2. Has built-in LCD for adjustments. Great sound great value.

preactor and Bill like this.
  11. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have the Line 6 Spider V 120W amp. I like it. 70+ amp models, 25 cabinets, different mics, 100 or so effects. And you can customize amp/cab/mic/effect profiles and save them to the amp. Yes, you can manage the sounds via the tiny window on the front panel of the amp if that's what you want to do, but it's >Kerazy Easier< to run with the free Spider Remote App that you run on your computer. IMHO.

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

And I think the Boss Katana is the same way.

Chicago Slim and MisterZ like this.
  13. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

THR10 . A cheap but effective solution is the fender Champion 20-40 series which does many things for a low price.Best for cleans through a Tele without touching a knob .I have gigged mine .Katana sounds good too.The amp I play the most at home is the tiny Blackstar Fly.Its great for a creamy overdriven sound and fine clean .Useless for toned down jazz.

14. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

Hobby or professional use? My favorite Modeling amp is still the Johnson Millennium. Sadly, the company went out of business a long time ago & their partner Digitech stopped supporting the amps a long time ago as well.

A lot of people are unaware of these amps & because of that they can often be bought for only a little more than what the used Vintage 30 speakers would fetch. For a home studio or occasional jam with friends, it's the best. If you need a reliable stage amp I can't recommend them anymore due to lack or service or parts.

The last one I bought was only $200 CAD with the J-12 foot controller. Not bad for amp that was $2k in the late 90's-early 2000's
    The last pair of used Vintage 30's I sold for $250 no problem.

15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I still think the earlier Valvetronix are hard to beat. They do Marshalls well, Fender ok, and are great at Vox. Cubes do Fender better though.

Buzzgrowl and gkterry like this.
  16. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have a Super Champ XD (predecessor to the X2) 15 watt tube amp with DSP. I've changed the stock 10" speaker to an Eminence Legend and I like it a lot. The clean channel is very nice and the modeling choices give you a wide range of options. It accepts pedals well and they can be had for under $300.

Djentleman Dan and Chicago Slim like this.
  17. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Boss katana series, it need'nt be plugged

18. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

OK I'm not so sure the Katana lets you "stack up effects" from the front panel as the OP says he wants to do. You can access some effects from the buttons but (even though I like the Katana overall) front panel FX tweaking is not within its capability, and I think the doubling up of the "boost/mod" knob is an atrocity, an abomination, a really BAD idea. I have the Katana 100 1x12.

Let me be clear. With 1 button you can cycle between 3 FX presets. Default are chorus, flange, tremolo (I think). Then you get 1 knob that does "something" depending on the patch. Does it increase speed, width, both? I don't know. I find it inadequate personally. I would rather have had a little display like the Fender I looked at.

There. I said something bad about the Katana.

Right now I'm using an Eleven Rack instead of the Katana which has a new home under the workbench. But the Eleven is not a combo, it's this large heavy rack mount unit with a big LCD readout and a bunch of knobs and switches that make front panel twiddling easy. I don't use the PC editor on this either.

I got my Eleven Rack for under $200 used and use it with a Tech21 Power Engine that a friend gave me as the Eleven is only a preamp.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Chip and Treadplatedual like this.
  19. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

I have a Mustang III v2 and a Katana 50, and both would fit your requirements. The Mustang III's interface allows you to make all changes and tweaks without a computer. It has a lot more options than the Katana, but the learning curve is steeper. The Katana is pretty straightforward and easy to use. They both sound good and are loud enough for smaller gig situations if you ever need that.

Bill, Chip and GuitLoop like this.
  20. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

Blackstar ID 30 TVP would be a good choice as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.