Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

What’s The Best Method For Sharpening Sir Cutters?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Stringbanger, Jan 12, 2019 at 7:33 PM.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
  2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    ^^^ this.

Yes, really no way since they are pinch cutters rather than bypass.

Stringbanger likes this.
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    And don't cut nails or wire hangers with 'em anymore. #learnedthehardway

Stringbanger likes this.
  4. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    I meant side cutters. No, I never used them for nails or coat hangers. Mostly for nipping guitar strings.

Steve Holt likes this.
  5. denny

denny Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jan 5, 2004
    North of Dallas, TX
    Slightly dull side cutters are better because the cut piece of wire gets held by the cutters instead of shooting across the room, bouncing off the ceiling. Or into your eye (ouch). Like said above, get new ones if you want sharp.

6. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
  7. OtherTom

OtherTom Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2010
    State College PA
    Yep buy new ones. Unless you're an oddball like me who actually enjoys sharpening knives, tools, scissors, and everything else. Then you need some diamond files or stones to reach in small angle openings. Draw black sharpie over the blades and give a few even full strokes of the stone on each side keeping the blade angle by watching where the ink wears away.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...OgC1Si1nFTNKYA6TT5tNHwEwMGsBBB_BoCXTcQAvD_BwE

moosie likes this.
  8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Hard steel, not easy to sharpen, especially with short strokes in tight angle. Patience, and a good diamond file or stone.

9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    The jaws swing in an arc and it's quite hard put a new edge on each jaw and have the jaws still meet uniformly along the edges.

As others have said, buy new ones. I recommend you pay the price for good ones which will last for a decade or so. Why not?

10. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2011
    Independence, Mo
    What he said-and if they're dull, the edge is bound to have a gouge or two in it in which case there's nothing to do but buy new. I bought a cheap pair of Craftsman side nippers to keep with my guitar stuff for trimming strings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.