What’s in the box? A new guitar perhaps?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Sotakoira Musti, Mar 13, 2019 at 7:56 AM.

1. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just to give you the timeline - the Player Teles came out at the end of June 2018, and they had the bent steel saddles. I bought one in that red color (Sonic Red) at GC's July 4th sale. Was talking about it on here and several of us who bought them early found the saddle issue.

Fender was aware of this by end July 2018, and their remedy was to switch to the cast saddles that were used on the previous MIM Standard Teles since the bridge plate is the same, they just wanted to put the bent steel saddles on them to make the Players more like the previous American Standard Teles (2008-2016 models). However, the American Standards have the holes in the bridge and body drilled in a slightly different spot so that Strat-type saddles work on it (note that American Professionals still have that American Standard string position even though they have gone back to the 3 brass saddle design). But on the MIM bridge the saddles cover the holes in the bridge plate (and in the body). So by changing back to the longer cast saddles the holes in the bridge plate were no longer covered.

But evidently some Teles were so far out of spec that even with changing the saddles the holes would still be covered. My particular Tele was one of these, so the entire guitar was replaced instead of just replacing the bridge or the bridge saddles.

Sotakoira Musti likes this.
  2. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti TDPRI Member

John C, superb and thorough story. I salute you for your effort!

I stripped mine to pieces. I took the bridge off (and saddles too) and tried to compare it to GH’s bridge (vintage with threaded saddles) by putting it on top of GH. It seemed to me that the holes (screws and strings) were in same position.

Anyways, I ordered vintage bridge and compensated saddles from Thomann. So this Tele will have to wait for a week or so until the parts arrive. Then I’ll put it back together and play merrily again. And if the vintage bridge doesn’t fit, I’ll return the guitar if possible. If not, then I’ll contact the customer service (Fender Scandinavia? or some local rep to have a new saddles.

Once again, the plot thickens...

Br, Musti

3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Yeah, there's just sometime really nice about using cloth wires - aside from how clean and easy they are to work with.

Here's my Player (I bought it body only - just for the Tidepool body color and rear contouring) - although there isn't much 'original' Player component to it. Cloth wires ARE included. :lol: It's kind of a "StraTele". (I have plenty of other 'traditional' Teles.) Fender Custom 69 Strat neck pickup and Fender Fat '50s Strat bridge pickup. I have a Fender Americal Special maple neck in bound which I will put on it - moving this "Special Edition" Fender maple neck shown in the photo over to another Tele.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 3:35 PM
    Bergy, RYAN1987M and Sotakoira Musti like this.
  4. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

You've got some cool Teles. I've always thought that GH Rosewood Tele looks amazing... how is it to play and does it sound quite a bit different than most Teles?

5. Sotakoira Musti

First,

You’ve done an amazing job with yours! That colour is so nice and the bold enhancements you’ve done! I Salute you! I personally wouldn’t have gone just that far with mods, but hey, it’s great that we aren’t all the same :lol:

Secondly,

About that GH RW. It plays great, of course. It has 9.5” radius. I’d preferred the original 7.25”, but I’m cool with it. I had to take it to a luthier to do fret ends. Finnish cold and dry winter is murder for guitars. I put EAD flats and GBe from 9.5 set. Suits nicely.

I wouldn’t say that it sounds very different compared to other Teles. Most of the differences comes naturally from pickups, strings and saddles. This 2017 model has a cavity (to reduce weight) almost as size of a pickguard. That makes RW very resonant acoustically.

If I’d have to compare it with my LE Am Pro, I’d say RW is brighter. Maybe due having steel threaded saddles and cavity. And I’m in impression that rosewood actually is on the brighter side of woods, if we go that far (alder vs ash, you know :D). They both have the same bridge pickup, ’64 grey bottom. IMO RW’s bridge pickup sounds a little brighter/harsher and when the strings are the same, I’d have to say it’s because of the wood (cavity) and saddle material. And btw, I play almost all the time with neck pickup on both Teles.

This pseudoscientifical research states as follows: RW Tele is brighter than average Tele. (or isn’t, no complaints :p)

Br, Musti

DHart likes this.
  6. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

There is nothing sweeter on this earth than a nice Tele played through a Twin. Great looking rig. Congrats and enjoy.

[​IMG]

7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Thanks, S.M. I'm one who is convinced that the elements of a guitar (the woods and bridge in particular) have a very audible influence on how pickups sound. I've heard this with ash/maple Fenders vs. alder/rosewood Fenders, so I understand that the all-rosewood Tele may well be brighter than the common Tele.

As for my Tidepool Tele... it is one of eleven Teles that I have (most are traditional set-ups), so doing something very different with this one is really enjoyable - I don't need multiple Tele clones, all set-up the same way! Different necks, different pickups, and different colors win the day. :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 6:29 PM
  8. Sotakoira Musti

A little update regarding bent steel saddles issue. I emailed Fender Scandinavia customer center on thursday 2215 hrs. On friday morning a little bit of email correspondence and at friday 1247 hrs got an email that they’ll mail me MIM standard saddles ASAP. Well, that was quicker than I ever imagined!

Fender rep 10/10! Thanks Cecilie!

DHart likes this.
  9. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

congratulations on your new squeeky clean white Telecaster. have years and years of enjoyment white your new instrument.

10. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

Nice guitar! Interesting decision on the flat wounds, never tried em on a Tele. May hafta try that out sometime. What gauge strings are ya running?

How do ya like your Mobius? I haven’t gotten quick enough with mine to feel comfortable with it on the pedalboard....yet.

11. Sotakoira Musti

Thanks! The bridge (E: vintage with compensated) should arrive next week, so if it fits, it’ll be even nicer!

I tried flats about 3-4 years ago. Never had normal strings since in Telecasters. I find them to smoothen out the harshness, add a little bottom end and balance the volume difference between EAD and GBe, less need to fiddle with pickups. And they feel silky as a young girl’s leg, sorry for that expression :D I have usually D’Addario’s ECG23 E48 A38 D28 and D’Addario’s EXL120+ G16 B11.5 e9.5

Have had this setup for years in every Tele I’ve got. Occasionally I’ve put only ECG23 as is, or changed lower string to ECG24 E50 A40 D30.

About Mobius. I use it to create mostly different Leslie sounds, which were used a lot in Beatles’s latests records. And in anothter band we usually play/jam RHCP, so it comes handy to make different warbly sounds. There are tons of sounds which I never use. If I recall correctly, I’ve got about 30 settings saved for different songs. I’d prefer Lex for only Leslie sounds, but due lack of memory banks, Mobius was obvious choice. And it’s fun to play every now and then with phasers etc.

I hope this answered your questions.

Br, Musti

E2: Continue about flats; I like a little darker/jazzy tones. And still I’ve got to set tone cut on my AC30 about noon to get mellower (neck) but still twangy (bridge) tones. Best of both worlds IMO.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 5:27 AM
    Bergy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.