What’s a good second hand neck

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TheBadHombre, Apr 15, 2019.

1. TheBadHombre

TheBadHombre TDPRI Member

so I’ve a got nice 52 partscaster and long story short the radius and fret aren’t my thing. So now I’m looking for a 21 fret, 9.5 radius or flatter, jumbo fretted neck to buy second hand. And preferably a larger shape For example: 50s Baja tele neck, brad paisley signature neck, 50s road worn tele neck, etc. let me know what y’all think. Thanks!

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Allparts does a nice medium c 12 inch radius super jumbo neck but it's 22 fret.
    I wouldn't buy second hand but rather new unfinished if I was after some cost savings.

3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I have a Baja neck on one of mine. But my favorite is the Allparts TRO-FAT (or TMO-FAT if you prefer maple board). It has a fat U shape 1" thick, medium-jumbo frets and a 9.5 radius. Best neck I've ever played. You can buy one unfinished for about $110 on eBay or reverb. Throw some Tru-Oil on it, a nut and tuners and you're ready to go. It's 21 frets too, btw...

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

5. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Baja '60s neck sure is a sweetie! Pretty much just as you like - not too slim, not too fat, 9.5" radius, med-jumbo frets. I love mine.

Of course the American Professional is a very nice neck, available either maple or rosewood... ready-to-buy new take-offs available on Stratosphere. They aren't cheap, but they're excellent, all finished, nicely cut nut slots, just bolt on, string up, set your action, and away you go.

6. stephenc498

stephenc498 TDPRI Member

I used an all parts v shape on mine and love it, but if a good deal is priority you could try an XGP neck from guitar fetish. They’re thick with 12” radius (or less if desired) and have jumbo frets. I’ve never tried one but have an XGP body and am very impressed with it!

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Stewmac's Mighty Mite necks are on sale right now.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

What I want is not available as often as what has specs I want but I hadn't considered.
    Fatter and flatter with jumbo frets?
    Warmoth usually.
    Why 21 frets?
    Might limit the options, but if you know exactly what toy want and can afford it, that's the thing to get.
    Stratosphere has stock but is more expensive than I prefer.

I'd agree on buying new unfinished if you want to apply a finish, drill ream and mount tuners, make a nut, and maybe dress the frets plus the fret ends.

Be wary of jumbo frets on paper!

The word jumbo is usually connected with medium, and means the width is increased but the height is as low as vintage frets, or even lower.
    So medium jumbo is not jumbo at all.

Best bet if you want actual jumbo frets is to get used to the spec list, and make sure you get what you want.
    Jumbo should be at least .055 high.
    Medium jumbo can be more like .038.
    Figure that the spec of the fret wire is before the frets get dressed after installation.

9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I purchased a Classic Player 50's Baja neck from Stratosphere for a partscaster project.

You might look at Reverb or eBay too.

Not sure what you mean by "second hand". You might be careful with a used neck. Someone might be passing on a problem. Unless you can get your hands on it to inspect it, I would be wary.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.