Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wet-Dry set up is the perfection.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Thin white duke, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    Sometimes i play with a wet-dry set up, it's just perfect, i mean i can get addicted to it ;);)

I only do it at home because i'm too lazy to take two amps out for small gigs but everytime i do it i can't stop playing.

I prefer this to dual mono because having the drive sound on a dry amp everything is more clear but still huge in sound.

I know that wet-dry-wet is the top but no way , i will never ever bring 3 amps out.

I'm playing through a Fender Champion 40 and a Vox Pathfinder with a 1x12 speaker, i'm thinking of buying a Champion 20 and use it for the wet side with the Champion 40 because i usually don't like drive pedals with 1x8 speakers but it's ok with clean sound.

Cheers.

I love solid state. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

singlecoil and RetroTeleRod like this.

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    I like dry-dry, but sometimes I also like to play in big open rooms, so that's like wet-wet.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

3. Thin white duke

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    -----I like dry-dry-----
    Do you mean two amps in clean with no effects at all ?

-----so that's like wet-wet-----
    Dual mono right ?

4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Last night I slept in a water bed...but not on purpose.

fatcat, Frodebro, djh22 and 2 others like this.

5. Thin white duke

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    That is a strange reply but it's funny. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

RetroTeleRod likes this.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I tried it many years ago when I was in a touring bar (cover) band.
    Yes, there were once such things.
    It was fun.
    I loved it.
    Then, our sound guy told me that I was not the star of our show, and insisted I only use one amp.
    Doh!

1955 likes this.

7. Thin white duke

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    ---Then, our sound guy told me that I was not the star of our show, and insisted I only use one amp---
    I see, in fact that is why i never take 2 amp for gigs, the sound guys don't like it but sometimes i don't mic the amps, in that case i could do it.

brookdalebill likes this.

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I like just one amp, with the reverb not too overbearing. Half-wet ?

RetroTeleRod likes this.

9. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Sound guys don't tell me who the star is, first of all.
    Secondly fx sound best against an unaffected amp, wet dry all the way baby.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Cool!
    Good on ya’.
    I don’t like 90% of the sound guys I run into.
    I often arrive early to my gigs, and listen to the previous acts, and evaluate the sound “god”.
    I also walk the room to hear what it sounds like all over the venue.
    Only the best sound guys leave their “mission control” and do this.
    I absolutely miss the days when everything and everyone was not controlled by something/someone.
    Some sound guys are sterling, but only some, not most.

singlecoil and Guitandanza like this.

11. Thin white duke

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    Well i'm sure that
    ---Sound guys don't tell me who the star is, first of all.--:lol::lol::lol::lol:

---
    Secondly fx sound best against an unaffected amp, wet dry all the way baby.----
    Man it's really another story, kind of hypnotic, everything is more clear, but maybe not worthy for those that don't use many effects, i do in a couple of projects and it's really better in this way.

12. Thin white duke

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    If you only use just a bit of reverb it's not worthy maybe but with more effects for example, verb, delay and vibrato on one side and a drive only on the other side man it's just spectacular

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    To me throw a vol pedal on 2nd amp, touch of reverb from that amp and you can swell in the nicest boost there is. As your vol comes up so so does verb and your solo gets a bigger feel to it. Even vol pedal to another clean amp is about best clean solo boost there is.

FenderLover likes this.

14. Thin white duke

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    It sounds nice but since you have 2 amps on the stage it's a shame to use one only as boost, i think that for those who use a lot of pedals it's a great solution because the sound stays cleaner, really sometimes having verb, echo, mod, and a couple of distortion from one speakers can be a bit messy.

15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I went to a Steve Morse clinic in the late 80's and he was using a wet/dry setup. It sounded awesome! I tried it out for a while and could not handle the enormous volume increase when I added in the effects.
    I ended up going back to a true stereo setup and I'm still there. We ran FOH stereo so, no problem there. Most clubs are so small it doesnt matter.
    What size amps are you playing with now? I kept scaling down years ago and landed at two Princetons and found out its easier to carry two Princetons than one, because of the balance thing. My current rig is two 1-12 powered cabs and my board. What type of music do you play?

Doh! just saw where you clearly stated the amp you play‍♂️

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018

16. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2014
    atlanta
    I used a wet dry setup for many years, eventually moving to different setups. I am returning to it now. I'm using a multi amp rig.

• Traynor Yba1a and an AC30cc2, wet/dry stereo chorus for dirt.
    • SF Bassman 100, mono chorus and reverb for clean
    • BF Bassman driving a Leslie 16.

I tried stereo into a 2x12 using the Bassman 100 and a Bandmaster, but the 100 sounded better by itself.

17. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

May 31, 2015
    Connecticut
    There are only 2 kinds of sound techs. Ones who know what they’re doing and ones that don’t.

18. jclute

jclute TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Atlanta, Georgia
    So you don't have drive going to both amps, with just wet effects on the clean amp? If you just got a little hair, or light overdrive mixed with a clean wet amp, that could sound pretty cool. I'll have to give it a try!

I love playing wet/dry. I like setting one amp a little more mid pushed and on the edge of break up, with the other midscooped with higher headroom then a little dirt from pedals or fuzz into both, with wet effects on the cleaner amp. My happy place for hours!

19. Thin white duke

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    -----So you don't have drive going to both amps, with just wet effects on the clean amp?-----

No, dynamic effects on one amp, comp, fuzz, od, dist, and also pitch.

On the other amp all modulation, delay and reverb.

----If you just got a little hair, or light overdrive mixed with a clean wet amp, that could sound pretty cool.
    I'll have to give it a try!------

That is going to be a problem, everything is set in the way i explained but i guess it could be good too.

----My happy place for hours!----
    We are like kids. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

RetroTeleRod likes this.

20. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Well I'm not saying don't use it as real wet/dry setup. But the addition of a simple vol pedal can add a whole other way of using that 2nd amp.

FenderLover likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.