Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Were We Born with Morals?.. or Taught Right From Wrong?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ScatMan, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

Jul 7, 2008
    Texas
    I posted this in another gear forum, but what the heck.. I'm curious what other folks think, so..

how 'bout our biases? our sense of fairness? our sense of justice?

born with or taught?

Some studies suggest born with, not taught:

2. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    One man's right is another man's wrong

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

3. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

Apr 4, 2010
    7th Galaxy
    taught.
    those tests are toally bias. can't see that?

colors, toys, movements... debunked.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

Jul 7, 2008
    Texas
    Look closer.. It's an ongoing theory.. not definitive (yet).. certainly not debunked (yet).. check your facts.

6. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    U.S.A
    Why would God hate Essau in the womb? For what he did or didn't do before he entered the womb. But even having the fresh-slate, being born innocent of woman in the bag of waters, all spirits have a shot to do what is right through free-will.

And then there are some pure evil killers and rapists out here in the world, Not of the same seed at all, no conscience, sociopaths, children of the devil. They are almost wired for wickedness.

7. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
  8. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    we were born with a free will..we can decide, determine right from wrong, think for ourselves...feelings, emotions , compassion etc..we are intelligent , all that...

If we are taught right from wrong, good from bad etc..the odds are we will carry that thru life or at the very least know the difference..

we are not animals...we do not wake up each day in survival mode...

If we are not taught right from wrong or the difference between good and bad then it will be a tuff life...

9. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

Jul 7, 2008
    Texas
  10. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    It's a fascinating area. Some modern research has shown that personality traits like anxiety are passed genetically in rats to their offspring. The implications of this are profound as they show behaviour affecting the genes or at least the expression of genes in families. Is this the mechanism for moral behaviour in newborns?

11. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Nature vs. Nurture.
    It has been a philosophical argument from the time of Plato.
    My personal opinion is that we are a little of both. There seems to be
    a definite element of a conscience that is prevalent from birth. But, like all
    skills, it has to be trained. I don't think there is a person alive who hasn't
    raised a child and at some point been confronted with, "Daddy, I got to tell
    you something."
    It is obvious though that we can train our conscience to accept things that
    we would never allow at other times.
    Watching some of the actions of differing factions during war is a good indicator
    of this. Think about the American citizens that were of Japanese heritage that were rounded up and put in camps for the whole of WW2. People say that they would neverdo that today.
    In the first 7 years of life there are biological milestones that a child goes through. Ask a mother one time whether she knows what her child wants just by it's cry. In the first few days they begin to focus sight. They can identify their mother by the sound of her voice, her skin, etc. Eventually they have their first conscious cry and they realize they can make sound. All of these things plus hundreds of others are all automatic and not trained.

One little tip, if you want a baby to like you get fat. They seem to be drawn to a round face. And they also are very much team players. When one of them in a group starts to cry they will all cover that babies back by crying too.

12. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2011
    Jasper, TN
    It is a good question, but I fear to religiously oriented for me to touch on in this forum without going into religion. Does anyone really believe we are born as clean slates...I don't think so. You can assign it to genetics, God's purpose, fate, whatever, but I think we are all born with certain personal bents and characteristics and then we are molded by conditions around us to make us what we are.

13. greytop

greytop Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2010
    Frederick County, MD
    I have "identical" twin girls, 3 years old now. Never been apart. My wife and I try hard to treat them equal. But, at a very early age it was evident they are so different in so many ways.

Bible says to raise up your kids (each one) in the way they should go and they will not depart from it.

I believe that.

14. stankepanck

stankepanck Tele-Holic

Sep 29, 2012
    Greensburg PA
  15. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Never trust anyone under 3.

16. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Holic

Feb 24, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    :lol:

17. FMA

FMA Friend of Leo's

Apr 29, 2003
    Nature vs. nurture?

I thought Randolph and Mortimer Duke settled that question in "Trading Places."

18. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Mar 22, 2010
    Ohio
    +1

19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    "Nature" certainly gives those with problems (drunks, imbeciles, etc) a convenient coat hook to hang their crap on :

"Well, my dad was an alcoholic, and his dad, and really, it runs in my family so you see - I can't help but be a drunk..."

That garbage being said - there are evil babies.

20. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    For one dollar, right? :)

21. kelnet

kelnet Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.